The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 10, 2018, 09:04 PM   #1
Gary L. Griffiths

NBC Nightly News has POSITIVE segment on arming school teachers!

I couldn't believe my eyes and ears! Thought I had taken too much dope for my leg injury. NBC Nightly News this evening ran a positive story about a Texas school where teachers had been allowed to carry guns since 2007, without all the obligatory naysaying from Moms Demand, etc.

Could it actually be that some in the MSM might be warming to the idea that gun-free zones attract shooters like trailer parks attract tornadoes? What do y'all think?

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-new....cid=eml_onsite

Highlights: They actually discussed that gun-free zones endangered children, and interviewed students who said they felt safer knowing their teachers were armed!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old March 10, 2018, 10:16 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Alternate space-time continuum. Welcome to the Twilight Zone.
Old March 10, 2018, 11:34 PM   #3
DaleA

I've been very critical of the media but the Washington Post did stand up in no uncertain terms to the claim there has been 18 school shootings since the beginning of the year. The headline is:
No, there haven’t been 18 school shootings in 2018. That number is flat wrong.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.e3c72fa087f3

Maybe some 'common sense' is actually coming into the gun debate!

Last edited by DaleA; March 11, 2018 at 12:06 AM. Reason: finished the thought
Old March 10, 2018, 11:44 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

I saw that! I was flabbergasted that it was on NBC.

Now for the pessimism - a retraction or new story on how unsafe that is for the children will be in tomorrow's NBC news.
Old March 11, 2018, 06:37 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Aaaand it's gone: 404 page unavailable message on NBC. And my friends think I'm nuts when I say the media doesn't like us.
Old March 11, 2018, 08:27 AM   #6
turkeestalker

It was already gone last night about 10:30 or 11:00 central time when I tried and the link was already dead.
Old March 11, 2018, 08:35 AM   #7
BarryLee

I wonder why the article is gone? Did someone sneak something past the Politburo and get caught?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 11, 2018, 08:41 AM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Here's a link that works.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...cid=eml_onsite
Old March 11, 2018, 12:28 PM   #9
Evan Thomas

Dang, John, I think you just busted a really fun paranoia bubble.
Old March 11, 2018, 01:37 PM   #10
Mal H
Staff

I don't think the link in the first post ever worked. It appears to have been copied from a different forum or post because it is in the abridged form. Note the ellipsis in the middle of the link. John's link is the same one, but it is complete even though it looks the same on the surface.
Old March 11, 2018, 02:15 PM   #11
WyMark

Never ever discount the aphorism called Hanlon's Razor, it almost always applies.
Old March 11, 2018, 02:29 PM   #12
Mike38

Quote:
Could it actually be that some in the MSM might be warming to the idea that gun-free zones attract shooters like trailer parks attract tornadoes?
You're giving the Lame Stream Media too much credit.
Old March 11, 2018, 04:54 PM   #13
adamBomb

I mean we can keep saying that its right vs left on gun rights but that is hardly the case. Obama passed two laws on guns that expanded CCW rights. Not sure what Trump is going to do but you heard what he said last week. We need to stop the right vs left thing and focus more on gun supporters vs not.
Old March 11, 2018, 05:20 PM   #14
Evan Thomas

Quote:
We need to stop the right vs left thing and focus more on gun supporters vs not.
Yes, we do. Very well said.
Old March 11, 2018, 05:21 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamBomb
Obama passed two laws on guns that expanded CCW rights.
What two laws did Obama sign that expanded CCW rights?
Old March 11, 2018, 05:27 PM   #16
RETG

He signed a credit card consumer protection bill that had a rider attached that allowed handgun carry into National parks/NPS monuments as per the state law (or states' laws with Yellowstone and Great Smoky Mountains as two examples) that the park is located in.

He also signed a law that allowed for guns to be transported in the luggage on Amtrak trains.

Only two I know of.
Old March 11, 2018, 05:35 PM   #17
RETG

As for the number 18 being thrown out for school shootings that is the ... way of saying a lie over and over until people start to believe it is true. And sad to say it works with many people.

The number originated from Everytown for Gun Safety and the number was derived from anything that had to do with a gun in and around. For your reading enjoyment....
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/no...rticle/2649183

Last edited by Evan Thomas; March 14, 2018 at 05:59 PM. Reason: let's drop the liberal/conservative stuff.
Old March 14, 2018, 04:24 PM   #18
Gary L. Griffiths

The Everytown figure of 18 school shootings this year is actually quite conservative compared to the Grio site's claim of more than 50 mass shootings so far this year! https://thegrio.com/2018/03/13/heres...y-its-suspect/

Even the virulently anti-gun Mother Jones can only come up with three mass shootings this year: https://www.motherjones.com/politics...nes-full-data/

The Mother Jones spreadsheet is actually quite comprehensive and contains a lot of good information. FWIW, according to their criteria, there have been only 99 mass shootings in this country since 1982.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)