The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 2, 2018, 08:06 PM   #1
ThomasT

Remington 1100 20 gauge Jams

My bud has a Remington 1100 that fires one shot then the bolt stays open like it was the last shell in the tube when it isn't. It does this with factory loads and hand loads. And its squeaky clean because I did a complete tear down and cleaning myself.

I suspect there is a problem with the cartridge cut off stopping the next shell and tricking the gun into thinking its empty. But if anyone has had this experience or has an idea of what to look for please post it.

I don't have the gun in hand. Its at my buds house. He went and shot it today after the cleaning with Remington factory loads and it still will not cycle the shells.
Old October 2, 2018, 09:21 PM   #2
Model12Win

Did you lube it?
Old October 3, 2018, 04:36 AM   #3
Virginian

Look for a bent carrier latch first. Could be several things. The bolt actually locks back after every shot, and then the shell coming out of the magazine trips the carrier latch releasing the bolt. If the shell is not releasing from the magazine, the action bars are not actuating the feed latch correctly. Could be worn, broken, or assembled wrong.
Old October 3, 2018, 10:33 AM   #4
ThomasT

Thanks Virginian. I printed off a diagram and now know what parts you are referring to. My bud is supposed to bring his gun over later so I can take a look at it. I suspected it had something to do with the shell release or the feed parts.
Old October 4, 2018, 10:32 PM   #5
tmd47762

That latch will pop out of its detent when cleaning. I've had it happen before and it may need to be crimped back in. There's a relatively inexpensive tool to fix it, I just can't recall it at the moment.
Old October 5, 2018, 11:58 AM   #6
Baldrick

Is it this tool at Brownell's?

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shotgun-tools/shell-latch-stakers/remington-870-1100-shell-latch-staking-tool-prod9495.aspx?avs%7cMake%7e%7eModel_1=Remington__1100[/URL]
Old October 5, 2018, 01:39 PM   #7
Virginian

The latch may pop out, but in order to assemble the gun it has to be in the right place and the mechanism will hold it there. I Superglued one and will never stake another one, and I have the tool. It is only staked in place to make disassembly for cleaning easier.
Old October 5, 2018, 04:34 PM   #8
ThomasT

I have worked on the gun for a couple of hours. I found out my bud just bought an O-Ring from the hardware store and used that. So he is going to get the correct o-ring and give that a shot. If that doesn't work he will send it back to Remington or one of the service centers. I am done with it. I can't see anything wrong with the gun. Matter of fact it looks like its barely been shot. There are no case head markings on the bolt face. I'm done with it.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old October 5, 2018, 05:14 PM   #9
Model12Win

My 12 bore had never jammed ? ?