The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 23, 2012, 04:40 PM   #1
VegasPlinker

i got a problem

i got aproblem with my mosin nagant rifle.

i wanted to shoot lead bullets but everybudy says to see what the bore is. well i screwed up. i don't know what i did but i got a lead slug stuck in my barrel like half a inch from the muzzle
i tried to drill it out an that just broke the drill bit.

now i have a lead slug and broken drill bit in my barrel

i cant afford a gunsmith. can i just melt the lead out with a torch?
Old February 23, 2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Willie Sutton

You likely need a hard steel rod about bore diameter, as close to bore diameter as possible, and long enough to get to the slug from the breech end, and a sledgehammer.
Old February 23, 2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Eazmo

^^^^^^^yea that
brass rod might be better for the barrel but being that long may need steel strength.
lots of oil down barrel to lube slug
Old February 23, 2012, 06:23 PM   #4
PoorRichRichard

Or, you could play it safe and go get another one at Big 5 for a $100. Sounds like you may have really jacked up the barrel. Could be unsafe to fire again. Gunsmith is your best way to go, but could almost cost as much just grabbing a new one.
Old February 23, 2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Willie Sutton

With all due respect... the above post is not likely terribly accurate.

The forces put on a slug while pounding it down a BBL manually are nothing like those caused by firing.

What we have here is likely a lead slug that has simply adhered to the bore by it being manually swaged into the rifling, causing enough friction that it's just securely "stuck"

A good pounding from the other end with a close fitting rod is the typical cure.

Not that big a deal really....

Willie

Old February 23, 2012, 09:22 PM   #6
gyvel

^^^^^^I agree with Willie Sutton. A good pounding from the breech end should force it out. You could help it along by investing a couple bucks at your local health food store and get a small bottle of "100% PURE, NATURAL, Wintergreen oil." (And NOT the crap you get at Walgreens, et. al.) It is one of greatest penetrants I have ever used and a few drops down the muzzle to the bullet will help get some lube between it and the bore.
Old February 23, 2012, 09:40 PM   #7
kraigwy

In he future, use 12 grns of Trail boss with your cast bullets, I've shot hundreds of them with this load and never had a bullet that wouldn't leave the muzzle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 24, 2012, 12:09 AM   #8
Fleet

Quote:
In he future, use 12 grns of Trail boss with your cast bullets, I've shot hundreds of them with this load and never had a bullet that wouldn't leave the muzzle.
I think he means he was trying to slug the bore.
Old February 24, 2012, 11:49 AM   #9
kraigwy

Missed that part, but it still works.

People get slugs stuck in the barrel all the time trying to slug a barrel.

When I did my Mosin, I took a .32 cal ball, loaded it in a shell with trail boss and shot it into a 5 gal plastic bucket. You still get enough bullet to measure for diameter.

I don't like pounding stuff down my barrels. I like Trailboss because it doesn't require a filler, and its low pressure in a rifle round.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 24, 2012, 04:29 PM   #10
VegasPlinker

thx guys
yea. i was trying to slug the barrel to see what size it was,, and it just stopped kinda under the front site.

i was watching some youtube videos and they say that means the barrel is tight right their. my friend says it doest matter though since its by the muzzle
is that right?

so a torch would be bad?
a torch would probably light on fire all of the penitrating oil i put in the barrel too. may be i should just forget about the torch

i dont know where to get 30 calibar drill rod and i know dowel wont be strong enough. i guess i can check the fastenall by my house
thx again

i wish i could do like my gandpa said they did in world war 1 and 2 and just shoot it out with ablank
Old February 24, 2012, 05:01 PM   #11
Willie Sutton

If you shoot it out with a blank you'll blow the barrel apart and likely hurt yourself in the process.

Were you driving the slug FROM the muzzle or TOWARDS it when it seized?

Really... it'll be an easy and cheap thing for a gunsmith to do. By the time you buy a correct steel rod, you can likely pay someone else to pound it out. If you decide to keep at it yourself, DO NOT use threaded rod. WHEN it flexes, it'll scratch the crap out of the bore. You need a tight fitting steel drill rod. McMaster-Carr will have it in their industrial catalog if you cannot find it anywhere else. You need a 1/4 or (better but scarcer) 9/32 diameter rod.

6 feet lengths of the right stuff are about $5.00, if you know how to order it;

http://www.mcmaster.com/#steel-rounds/=ge564d

This is actually better... it's 9/32 which is exactly right:

http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/drillrod2.phtml?page=w1&LimAcc=$LimAcc

You want to have the rod cut with a little extra length as possible, you do not want it flexing in the chamber or receiver any more than you can avoid. A 6 foot length will let you custom cut and make a shorter and a longer one as needed.

DO NOT use a torch... the last thing you want to do is to screw up the heat treatment of the barrel.

The diameters of the barrels ought to be the same front to back, but...

(And readability hint: Spell checkers are free these days... )

Let us know how you do, it'll come out.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; February 24, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old February 26, 2012, 09:56 AM   #12
jpsshack

I suggest you listen to the cool heads.
this is not a big deal unless you make it one. Start shooting things at, torching it and the like you could get hurt and/or trash your nice gun.

it simply needs to be pounded out: if a dowel won't do it, go to aluminum or brass. it will come out. go slow and easy. I have to disagree with the sledgehammer. I would recommend plastic, rawhide or wood when pounding anywhere near the gun. If you use a steel hammer, make sure you don't miss! Same with the rod–steel would be my last resort. You've only got 1/2" to go!
Old March 2, 2012, 07:43 PM   #13
VegasPlinker

i started at the muzzle end when it got stuck
i'm going to try to go th eother way to get it out. it has had penitrating oil soaking in the barrel since my last posting so i think it might come out easier

i got some size m and n drill rod today that i will try to use. i wish the n size was the .302 they said is was cause it would be perfect but the piece i got was .303 and the bore is .301.. but the m size i got is .297 so i think it will work ok

thansk for not being angry about my spelling and sentences. i dropped out of school when i was a kid so i didn't get much of the classes and i am not good with computers but my friend got a google chrome program that fixes a bunch of the words for me if i let it.. i will try to do better sorry
Old March 7, 2012, 07:49 AM   #14
jpsshack

Good to have you on the forum, vegas. The important thing is that you're here asking the right questions and listening to people. Spelling can be fixed, and so can your 91/30.
Old March 7, 2012, 09:52 AM   #15
dahermit

You should have asked for help with removing the slug before you tried to drill it out...you may have already damaged the barrel and/or crown of your rifle.
Old March 8, 2012, 07:22 PM   #16
shaunpain

I agree with most other posters here. With my Mosin, I've noticed that there is little I can't fix with a good hammer.