The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 29, 2009, 12:20 PM   #126
Playboypenguin

I wonder if that horse died from obesity...or because his first gun ran out of ammo?

Last edited by Playboypenguin; January 29, 2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old January 29, 2009, 12:24 PM   #127
LUGNUTT

no
Old January 29, 2009, 01:05 PM   #128
warrior poet

Is two guns overkill? Refer to USMC rules of combat Number 1:
Quote:
Bring a weapon. Preferably, bring at least two. Bring all of your friends who have weapons. Bring their friends who have weapons.
Nuff said.
Old January 29, 2009, 03:14 PM   #129
armsmaster270

I'll agree with that
Old January 29, 2009, 04:54 PM   #130
Milspec

In warm weather I'll wear a Desantis belly band with a Kel-tec P-11 in the holster and a PF-9 w/CAT laser in the handcuff pocket. I wear it high in back and below belt level in front (like a Smart Carry). Add my P3AT & LCP in front & back pocket holsters and I've got enough guns for the whole family...

Milspec

Colonel Bill Jordan
Old January 30, 2009, 07:22 AM   #131
CWO4USCGRET

I once carried

6 1911 pistols, concealed, to illustrate a point - that it could be done; no one could say if I was or wasn't carrying. Some correctly guessed I was carrying more then 1 gun but they knew I carried anyway.

On a more serious note, like some of you I get paid to strap on the duty belt with handcuffs, baton, pepper spray, 2 spare 12 round magazines and a semi-automatic pistol with 12 rounds of ammo. My training (and experience) tells me that in uniform I don't want to physically fight a bad guy nor do I want to get is a gun fight with them either. I've been told that if I get into a fight I've already lost...in other words - by whatever means, WIN, immediately, if not sooner.

Off-duty I am not Bruce Willis at Baltimore-Washington International Airport; I will try to protect innocent people if I can but I am not going to go on the offensive - try to stop the threat, cover myself, and wait for help to arrive.
Old January 30, 2009, 10:16 AM   #132
Croz

Quote:
I once carried 6 1911 pistols, concealed, to illustrate a point - that it could be done; no one could say if I was or wasn't carrying. Some correctly guessed I was carrying more then 1 gun but they knew I carried anyway.
Please tell me you took pictures!?! I'd love to see that. I once saw a picture of friend carrying 2 full size 1911's in jeans and a t-shirt and you couldn't tell at all. 6 is a true accomplishment!
Old January 30, 2009, 10:18 AM   #133
Smallgame2100

Never a bad thing to have 2 on you.
What if one jams or runs out?
You got your backup and boom you win
Old January 30, 2009, 10:42 AM   #134
Glenn E. Meyer

Don't carry six 1911's and extra mags if your plane lands in the Hudson. That would be under-water-kill. Blub!

So, are we convinced that carrying an extra gun or mag isn't nuts? Finally a consensus? Just preparing for a reasonable in the tails level of the continuum of incident intensity?
Old January 30, 2009, 11:29 AM   #135
aroundlsu

I carry a P7 in a Milt Sparks VMII with two spare mags on weak side. P3AT with spare mag in my back pocket in a pocket holster. The P3AT takes absolutely no thought to carry. In a pair of Levi 501s it's as comfortable as my wallet.

Recently, I left my P7 in my home bathroom and didn't realize it until 6 hours later after running all over town (Yes, a VMII is that comfy). Even though my main sidearm was left behind I still had my little P3AT.

And yes, I used to laugh too at the thought of someone leaving their gun in a bathroom.
Old January 30, 2009, 12:50 PM   #136
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Don't carry six 1911's and extra mags if your plane lands in the Hudson. That would be under-water-kill. Blub!
And the "worst joke in thread" award goes to...
Old January 31, 2009, 07:43 AM   #137
Geoff Timm

Seven pages and nobody quotes Mas Ayoob?

A good reason for a back up gun is to arm a qualified person who is not carrying. --or words to that effect.

Down here in Florida, the spandex capital of the world, your lady may be capable but not carrying because of style. I'm sure the prurient imaginations of the young and enthusiastic will provide the necessary imaginary graphics.

Cross reference: http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/

Geoff
Who notes FL law is just as silly as anywhere else.
Old January 31, 2009, 08:07 AM   #138
Double Naught Spy

No need to cite Ayoob and carrying to share with an unarmed person was mentioned back on the first page.

Your cartoon link apparently changes daily and currently has nothing to do with Florida, spandex, concealed carry, or anything mentioned in the post.
Old January 31, 2009, 08:54 AM   #139
SilentHitz

Quote:
So, are we convinced that carrying an extra gun or mag isn't nuts?
Yes we are...at least us smart ones...J/K

Still just comes down to personal choice though...now on with the debate LOL
Old January 31, 2009, 12:11 PM   #140
Playboypenguin

Quote:
A good reason for a back up gun is to arm a qualified person who is not carrying. --or words to that effect.
No offense, but that statement is a little too "mall ninja" for my tastes. Who really lives their lives thinking this way and how many times have they actually put this into practice?
Old February 1, 2009, 07:31 AM   #141
Geoff Timm

Quote:
No offense, but that statement is a little too "mall ninja" for my tastes. Who really lives their lives thinking this way and how many times have they actually put this into practice?
None taken, this is a forum. Mas Ayoob mentioned several instances in various articles over the years.

Geoff
Who listens and learns.
Old February 1, 2009, 07:35 AM   #142
Geoff Timm

Quote:
In a previous post Double Naught Spy said, Your cartoon link apparently changes daily and currently has nothing to do with Florida, spandex, concealed carry, or anything mentioned in the post.
True, but if you check out the previous cartoons you will learn all about Florida, at least the Tampa Bay area, spandex, weapons and such.

Geoff
Who likes to spread his bad habits, such as on line cartoons, to the innocent.
Old February 1, 2009, 10:52 AM   #143
Playboypenguin

Quote:
None taken, this is a forum. Mas Ayoob mentioned several instances in various articles over the years.
Can you give some examples? I have read some of his work and he has always seemed more of a "yarn spinner" than a real journalist. A glaring lack of details or evidence always seem to be present in his stories.

A lot of the things he says are so over the top and not based in reality. When I try to find out what he is basing his opinions on I usually cannot find anything. I cannot even find where he has actually had any true gunfighting experience. I sometimes feel he is one of the greatest jokes ever played on the gun community...the ultimate example of "those that can, do...and those that can't, make a career out of talking about it."
Old February 1, 2009, 11:03 AM   #144
Creature

Now this should get interesting....
Old February 1, 2009, 11:10 AM   #145
Glenn E. Meyer

If you want to discuss Ayoob's views of two guns fine - or his data base.

If you want to dislike him - that's thread drift which isn't useful. Mas is a member here - PM or e-mail him for a reference if one wants to.
Old February 1, 2009, 02:15 PM   #146
Playboypenguin

Quote:
If you want to dislike him - that's thread drift which isn't useful. Mas is a member here - PM or e-mail him for a reference if one wants to.
In this case, his credibility is relevant. I do not dislike him or his writings. I find them entertaining. However, his writings are being used in this case to validate a reason for the general citizen to carry multiple weapons. Something I have no issue with either. Since his writings are being used as a reference, the validity and basis for those opinions is fair game. He puts himself in the public light so he has to be able to address criticism of his opinions. Just as we all do when we post on this public forum. I would bet that every one of us here has had to defend our positions and provide basis for our ideas more than once on this forum.

He often discusses personal experience that would back up his ideals, but I seldom see any proof of these experiences. I also see lots of people dispute his claims and I never see him address these disputes. Which is fine, he is not required to do so...but that does not change the fact that the disputes are made and no evidence is there to support his claims.

In this case, he claims you should carry a second gun so you can arm a second person. I not only find this a bit outlandish but also a bit on the irresponsible side. I would never hand a loaded gun to a stranger. Surely he has basis for claiming this is the right thing to do. Surely he did not just decide this in his own mind without it having any relevance to the real world. This opinion, along with a lot of his opinions, just strikes me as being very "mall ninja." It strikes me as being someone who talks the talk but has never really walked the walk. This is how he makes his living and I believe he just might be the one of the better writers and bigger personalities, but I think a lot of it is theater. I just think some people do not realize that.
Old February 1, 2009, 02:19 PM   #147
Creature

Quote:
He often discusses personal experience that would back up his ideals, but I seldom see any proof of these experiences.
Why then don't you just go ahead and call the man a liar?

You have said you were a LEO and an army officer in previous posts. Are you required to prove this claim? No. Doesn't mean you weren't a cop and an army officer if someone doesn't believe you, does it?
Old February 1, 2009, 02:32 PM   #148
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Why then don't you just go ahead and call the man a liar?
There is a big difference between being a story teller and a liar. Is Stephen King a liar?
Quote:
You have said you were a LEO and an army officer in previous posts. Are you required to prove this claim? No. Doesn't mean you weren't a cop and an army officer if someone doesn't believe you, does it?
If you followed my earliest posts you would find I did back up my claims to my previous professions. Even very cute pics of a young me in my uniform. Still, I am not the one making a living off feeding questionable information to people. Anyone else in here that has been an LEO or received advanced training will probably agree that Ayoob is more regarded as a fiction writer in professional circles than anything else. He writes some good stuff, and much of it is informative as well as entertaining...but if you start taking it as gospel and use it to validate your personal decisions you are probably not choosing the best source.

He is a controversial and entertaining figure. I think he likes that. I think he puts himself in that position in purpose. it is a great way to promote yourself and have success, which he has. People just need to realize that when treating his writings as scripture.

In this case, his opinion is being used to validate carrying two guns. Instead of deflecting the issue why not address his reason he gives and question the credibility of the idea.

Simply put, what does he base this claim upon? How often has it actually happened? How likely is it to happen? Who has it happened to and when?

Last edited by Playboypenguin; February 1, 2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old February 1, 2009, 03:11 PM   #149
Creature

Quote:
Is Stephen King a liar?
Stephen King doesnt claim his stories to be life experiences..
Old February 1, 2009, 03:14 PM   #150
P99AS9

To answer this bluntly: no.
Closed Thread