The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 31, 2001, 10:42 PM   #1
SpazzTrap

Popular Trap chokes?

Just curious about what everyone uses for the 16 yard line...

Is there much difference between a modified and extended modified?

Thanks,

Spazz

Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms...sounds like my bachelor party.
Old September 1, 2001, 09:44 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Going by what I see and the talk I hear, most folks go with Full for 16 yards. It's too much choke, but there's tradition, fashion, and lots of folks shoot handicap with their singles gun.

One local legend that's fast on them out of the house uses a Light Modified choke. He had his SBT reamed out from Full for this, and it works for him.

I use Full, since I'm new to trap I wanted the choke tight, so I learn to hold closer. Two 25s in this brief interval between eye surgeries shows it works.

I may get some bbl work done soon. The bore on my TB runs .733", the choke .695". That's 38 POC, and I think 30 would be better. I'll have the cone done at the same time. The idea is to have a great pattern with ALL(or as nearly all as possible) pellets in a tight pattern 36-40 yards out.

Since choke tubes are well nigh universal these days, I'd suggest you arrive at your load of choice by testing with Mod, IM(Improved Modified) and Full. Go with whatever pattern covers 24-30" well at the distance you bust clays.

HTH....
Old September 1, 2001, 11:13 PM   #3
K80Geoff

Trapshooters are notorious for screwing around with everything on their guns. They change chokes, then change the brand of chokes, then buy ported chokes, then buy a barrel with a fixed choke.

Then of course they buy an adjustable stock and constantly fiddle with it, they try different heights of ribs, and have the barrels bent upwards, then put in a relaease trigger.

Next month they willl get a different brand of gun and start all over

Always looking for that perfect combination.

I always recommend modified choke for 16 yard singles, but then I carry around a box full of chokes and constantly change them out myself

Geoff Ross
Old September 2, 2001, 06:15 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Right on,Geoff. Musical guns, I call it.

Once I get the bbl work done,the only changes I'm considering is further load development, and maybe not much of that.But I'm not typical....
Old September 2, 2001, 08:48 PM   #5
Alex Johnson

I shoot full choke for the most part. I used to be fond of switching from full to modified when I seemed to be having problems smoking them with my initial shots, but as time went on I realized that it was just an excuse for poor shooting and I now reserve the modified for my first shot on doubles.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old September 3, 2001, 07:38 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Alex, a hunch says that it's consistency that's important, more than degree of choke. IOW, a few cases of shells with a particular choke creates a mental pic of what it will do, and the shots happen successfully w/o much conscious thought.
Old September 4, 2001, 07:11 PM   #7
MiniZ

I shoot full choke. Of course my trap gun is "old school" with a fixed choke, so my options for screwing around with it are minimal.

My buddy that is pretty serious likes to use IM for most of his shooting.

Zane
Old September 6, 2001, 12:50 AM   #8
SpazzTrap

As Paul Harvey would say: Here's a STRANGE...

So today I picked up a Remington "Full Trap" choke, only to find out that it is actually a "looser" choke than the Remington "Modifieds". The specs on each of my three chokes are as follows: (choke diameter / nominal constriction)

Mod: .709/.018
Sporting Modified (extended choke): .708/.019
Full Trap (old Style): .732/.013

Even the "old school" X-Full trap measures .709, which is no more constricted than today's Modified.

Seems like I can get any of the three new trap chokes (.700, .693, .686) or...

Maybe I'll just buy a .665 Turkey choke so people don't think I'm "cheating" :-)

Old September 6, 2001, 11:06 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Before you spend any more of your hard earnd money, Spazz....

Try those chokes you have out and see how they do, on both paper and clays. I bet you already have a suitable choke....
Old September 6, 2001, 11:23 AM   #10
SpazzTrap

Thanks Dave

...they all work fine...I'm busting an average of 19 or so with the mod, but some snobs (not here, but on the range) have alluded to the fact that I am "cheating" by using a mod instead of syringe choke of some kind.

I'm going to invent my own "nun's ass" choke that will only allow one #6 pellet of shot out at a time...that should be tight enough for the snobs.

Old September 6, 2001, 11:46 AM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Tell those snobs just what they can kiss. The ATA has no limits on chokes, you can shoot with that N/A choke or Tula Skeet if you desire.

Fulll choke got its impetus back before there were plastic hulls, wads,fold crimps, really hard and consistent shot and the other stuff that makes older ammo look like an oxcart next to the Space Shuttle.

Bet more records on the 16 yard line have been set since 1980 than in all the years of registered shooting prior to that? Save your money, they have.

I started with paper case shells that would swell on humid days, worked sometimes and threw patterns that would be charitable described as "Ragged". Sometimes I'd dissect one and see shot clumped together, shot so soft I could squeeze it further out of round with my fingers, and top wads that were GUARANTEED to bust up the pattern.

And,it's been my experience that folks that spend their time cutting down other folks and their choice of equipment usually lack mantels full of trophies, and friends....