The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 20, 2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Ironsights1

Major Dade Long Rifle Tournament

Hey everyone,

New to this forum, but had a question. Does anyone know about this tournament in December? The purse looks very tempting and looks pretty legit. Thinking about registering. Thanks for any feedback.

www.majordade.com
Old October 20, 2012, 01:25 PM   #2
benenglish

One observation: I've never before seen a rule book that specifically says the tournament officials have the right to confiscate your firearm, full stop, without any promise that they'll return it after they kick you out of the match for misconduct.
Old October 20, 2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Ironsights1

Thanks, Ben. Appreciate the feedback.
Old October 20, 2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Longshooter

Major Dade Rule Book

I'm one of the organizers of this tournament and I can assure you every rule is for Your own safety. Drugs, alcohol, and controlled substances will not be tolerated. If somebody shows up impaired, nobody in their right mind wants them firing a weapon. For the most part, our range officers are retired Navy SEALS and good guys. But stern when provoked. We want everybody to have a great time, but be safe about it.

"SHOOT IT! YOU'LL NEVER FORGET IT!

A FINAL PLEA TO COMMON SENSE

ALCOHOL, DRUGS, OR CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES

DON’T DO IT! ANYONE FOUND USING ANY OF THE ABOVE WILL HAVE HIS WEAPON CONFISCATED, BE SUMMARILY ESCOURTED FROM THE PROPERTY, AND LOSE HIS/HER REGISTRATION FEE. IT’S JUST NOT WORTH IT.
Old October 20, 2012, 08:32 PM   #5
benenglish

Note that you repeated the wording of the rule book without any explanation of how or when the confiscated firearm would be returned to the rightful owner. You didn't even acknowledge the idea that the firearm would be returned.

My mom always told me if I couldn't say anything good, just keep quiet. I think I'll take her advice. I'm out.
Old October 21, 2012, 09:21 AM   #6
Longshooter

Didn't mean to offend anyone. Of course if someone's gun is confiscated, he'll get it back the next day. We just hope it doesn't happen at all. An enormous amount of time and effort has been put in to make this the most enjoyable and safest shoot in the country. Join us in Dec. and see for yourself.
Old October 21, 2012, 10:23 AM   #7
redraider

Geez, and you wonder why some gun owners get a bad wrap. Take the tin foil hat off, no one is going to keep a weapon indefinitely. I don't even understand how you could read that into the rule book. It's common sense, someone shows up under the influence, you take their weapon.
Old October 21, 2012, 01:31 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

I learned of Major Dade when I visited the Smithsonian. I then looked into the Seminole Wars. The nation went bankrupt trying to chase the Seminoles out of Florida. Major Dade's detachment didn't stand a chance with the training they had. It was almost like Braddock's Defeat (1755) of over half a century earlier.

Glad to see there's a challenging match though.
Old October 22, 2012, 10:51 AM   #9
Ironsights1

I just registered for it. I appreciate the info in this thread. Good discussion everyone.

Went back and forth over email with the organizer this weekend. He's an ex-Navy officer, which I appreciated. Probably why there is a connection to Wounded Warriors. Hope to meet up with everyone at this sucker. I got the 650 yard target. Easy!