The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 6, 2000, 09:44 AM   #1
mongrel66

tell me it isnt so...but i heard a rumor that prarie dogs are on their way to being on the endangered species list??is this true?
Old February 6, 2000, 06:41 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Some of the people of the PETA Division (Only half a joke) of the USF&WS want to declare the black-tailed prairie-dog as "threatened".
Old February 7, 2000, 12:41 AM   #3
Desertscout

Prairie dogs are already protected in some areas. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Utah is one of those places. If not statewide, I know it is that way in areas.

Luckily, here in NM they are still plentiful and not protected. WE also have a tremendous population of coyotes here that makes for some fun shooting.

Desertscout www.cia-c.com/~lzysbarc
Old February 7, 2000, 04:44 PM   #4
JohnDog

This is from the US FWS site
http://www.r6.fws.gov/pressrel/00-04.htm

Basically, they say it should be on the threatened list, but there are too many other species that need to be protected (threatened?) first. They were petitioned from the National Wildlife Federation to protect the little "doggies" everywhere.

Luckily CDOW hasn't gone along with this Federal nonsense yet - you can still hunt all the prairie "dogs" you want - all year long.

Out here in Colorado it's pretty clear what they are heading for - stopping suburban development. Just recently they found a little mouse that is also "threatened" along the Front Range.

Old February 7, 2000, 06:02 PM   #5
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Johndog, you're talking about the Preble's Meadow Jumping Mouse, right?

If so, here's something that'll amuse ya: the Preble in question is peeved as hell at having his name attached to the little rat.

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson