The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 21, 2005, 06:59 PM   #1
cabinboy

Range Reports: Fred's Rifle Marksmanship Clinic -- Sat, 2/19

Great day, great instruction, great shooting...(except for me, that is.)

What I learned this time is that I cannot go several weeks w/o shooting and not expect my skills to degrade.

Practice, practice, practice is the key.....and I am going to be doing a lot of dry-fire between now and the March 5 event (post to follow shortly).

Other key lessons:

1) Through the help of a fellow Rifleman (high gun for the day, I believe), I got to the bottom of my pulling shots to the left due to my excessive trigger finger movement (curling rather than straight back, with a little wrist thrown for extra unwanted and unintentional left windage).

Fingertip only going forward....

Big point here: not only do Fred and the rest of the RWVA deliver a heckuva lot of great info during the event, but you also learn so much from your fellow shooters.

As I have said before -- where else can you get a full day of shooting from 25M out to at least 400 yards, plus world-class instruction, for $40?

Those of you who were thinking about it, but weren't able to come this weekend:

The class is being held again on March 19th; see link below.

PS: Longest trip record (so far) was set again on Saturday, with a one-way trip of 1100 miles ! Now that's dedication to the Rifleman tradition!

2) Boy, do I need to start doing some aerobic exercise so that I can move and shoot w/o my heart pounding in my chest.....time for me to get off the couch.

3) The Argentine surplus I shot for the first time worked out real well. Am going to get more. My dealer says to make sure that the particular case you buy has been inspected for quality (the packaging is pretty poor -- no battlepacks, just open cardboard boxes of 20 rounds placed into the standard wooden ammo crate).

See ya next time, and thanks to everyone at the RWVA who make these events possible!

Fred's report:

http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/article.asp?ITEM=27

Other reports:

http://battlerifles.ambackforum.com/...ic.php?t=12236

March 19th Rifle Marksmanship School:

http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/article.asp?ITEM=25
Old February 21, 2005, 07:59 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thank you for the write-up. I'd love to go if only to have access to a 400 yard range. Earlier Fred had his 1 day Korean War era sniper class. That would have been fun (with a Garand or 03A4).
Old February 23, 2005, 09:53 PM   #3
cabinboy

Korean War sniper school is planned again this year. Keep an eye on www.rwva.org.