The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 7, 2017, 05:19 PM   #1
Gunny K

My first ever project based on a M-93 Mauser 7.62 x 45 Czech

Hi Guys, I just finished my first ever hunting rifle based on the 93 Mauser. This particular action is a Turk which came as a 8x57 manufactured 1933 in Germany. I built it in 7.62x45 Czech with a 22" barrel which is more than long enough to burn efficiently with such a small cartridge. For those of you who are not familiar with the cartridge, it was developed in Czechoslovakia by Brno for the Vz-52 series of military firearms in 1949-1951. It has the same head as the 7.62x39 but is 6mm longer with less taper. It has a velocity of about 250fps greater than the Russian cartridge. Back in the early nineties I built a Mini Mauser Mk-X for this cartridge and just love it. It however has few drawbacks for me. It weighs only 5lb 11oz, has a 18.5" barrel and the magazine length limits me to the usual 123gr bullets which are commonly used for the 7.62x45 and the 7.62x39. Also I bought the barreled action and just rechambered it and mounted it on a beautiful Richard's Monte Carlo stock. This rifle I built from the ground up on the 93 action with a 22" E.R.Shaw barrel and once again a Richards Monte Carlo stock. This is the first of two I will be building in this caliber and one of four in the 93 Mauser action. The remaining two will be in 243 Win and 7mm-08 Rem. I hope to finish either the second scoped version of the 7.62x45 or the 243 before Christmas of this year.
Few more details about this project are, that I mounted this one with a Williams WGRS peep sight and shorty ramp. Because of the longer magazine capacity. I placed a spacing insert inside it and shortened the follower. However I did keep it a bit longer than the normal magazine length for this cartridge in order to accommodate today's modern polymer tip bullets which are longer and also so I can load bullets up to 150gr. The spacer is placed behind the follower and is made out of Delrin. The only things which I did not do on this project are welding the bolt handle and the bluing. If the pictures post right, let me know what you gents think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1311.JPG (242.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1312.JPG (215.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1313.JPG (212.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Gunny K; October 7, 2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old October 7, 2017, 05:20 PM   #2
Gunny K

Here are a few more pictures. The bolt handle welding and bluing was done by Regan Nonneman http://www.leveractions.com/ The bluing is absolutely beautiful. I polished the metalwork to the finish I wanted, which is HI GLOSS in this case, and I got it back exactly that way very hi gloss and very deep black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1314.JPG (225.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1315.JPG (229.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1316.JPG (230.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Gunny K; October 7, 2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old October 7, 2017, 05:37 PM   #3
Andrewsky

Very nice. Can it be loaded with stripper clips?
Old October 7, 2017, 08:10 PM   #4
Gunny K

No it can not because I cut down the bump and covered over the opening with the rear sight mount. You don't even know there is an opening there unless you look.
Old October 7, 2017, 08:26 PM   #5
taylorce1

Nice rifle, and suitable cartridge for the 93 action. I know there was a test by White Labs on 93 actions that said they could hold up to modern cartridges like the .308 Winchester, but the 93 lacks gas handling that the M98 actions have. Just be careful, you really only get one face. If it were me, I'd build a 6mm-250 Savage and 7mm on either the .250 or .300 Savage case and keep pressures under 50K PSI.
Old October 7, 2017, 08:40 PM   #6
Gunny K

I did some bolt and firing pin modifications to vent any possible gas from blown primers. The bolts are faced and firing pins are not loose in the holes so the chances of blowing a primer are very slim to none. I am not worried about the lug setback because the recoil of these cartridges is equal or less than the original 7/8mm Mausers. Pressure is not an issue either because the pressure is contained by the modern barrel not the action. I shoot a 307 Win (rimmed version of 308 Win) in my Thompson Contender and the wall thickness is only a small fraction of the E.R.Shaw barrels I am using. The recoil of the 308 Win is about the same or a bit less than that of the 8mm Mauser SAMMI load and definitely less than the European hunting loads loaded by Sellier & Bellot. Recoil would be my only concern and that is because of the possibility of the locking lug setback. Also all my headspacing is on the tight side so the hammer effect is eliminated. The issues arise when the hedspacing is too loose. At which point it just deteriorates rapidly. A good way to check for deteriorating headspace is with a piece of tape on the bolt face. Quick and easy trick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1265.JPG (217.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1267.JPG (224.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Gunny K; October 7, 2017 at 08:47 PM.