The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 3, 2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Ozzieman

03A3 needs new barrel

A friend has an M1903A3 that’s in very good shape but the barrel is pitted.
Anyone know a good gunsmith in the north east that is well known for rebuilding 03’s and would have barrels.
I have found barrels for sale but can’t find any one with experience with 03’s

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 3, 2013, 01:10 PM   #2
tobnpr

Any smith will be able to re-barrel the 03, there's nothing unique about the receiver or the barrel.

If he's OK with an aftermarket barrel, Criterion (and others, I'm sure) make short-chambered barrels that can be "DIY" installed with minimal skills and a reamer and "go" gauge. Reamers and gauges can be rented from places like 4D:

http://www.4-dproducts.com/index.php
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old March 5, 2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Mobuck

Actually rebarrelling an 03A3 is nearly the same as for the older Win Model 70. The Spfld has a cutout for the extractor and a coned breach like the M70.
Mausers use a flat barrel face w/o extractor cut making them easier/cheaper to rebarrel. Spfld also has a different type of barrel thread. I've rebarrelled a couple using brand new replacement barrels that only required an action wrench and barrel vise. When tightened fully to place the extractor cut in the proper spot, the headspace was perfect. The replacements were setup to be installed in the field by unit armorers w/o need for a lathe or other tooling.