The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 7, 2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Beowulf5505

I want to make sure i am doing this legally

I currently live in the state of New York (), my home of record is Michigan, my two rifles are there right now. I am back in Michigan for the Easter weekend and would like to take my guns back to New York with me.

The two guns are a Saiga .308 and a Mosin Negant M44. As far as i can tell they are legal in New York (the laws are crazy so I would like a second opinion on this if you have some input)

They would be traveling with trigger locks in a hard rifle case, ammunition separate. I am a resident of the state of Michigan but am active duty military stationed at Fort Drum NY so I am also a legal resident of NY.

What are the possible pit falls of this, how do I avoid them, or should I just leave these two rifles in michigan.

Any input would be great, thanks
Old April 7, 2012, 01:05 PM   #2
SurplusShooter

as long as the saiga meets New York states requirements both are fine to take into New York.
Old April 8, 2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Cascade1911

Just be sure to check that your Saiga doesn't have two or more "evil" attributes (pistol grip, folding or telescoping stock, bayonet lug, flash suppressor or threads to receive one, grenade launcher...)
Old April 8, 2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Beowulf5505

The saiga does not have the qualifiers making it an "assault weapon" so it can only slay deer and other critters... not rob banks and rip off drug dealers and such like one of those evil guns.

Thanks for all the input. I thought I was ok but like to double check things, I want to avoid breaking any laws.
Old April 8, 2012, 11:44 PM   #5
Fishing_Cabin

Just as an FYI, I would recomend you contact the New York, AG office, as well as the head law enforcement in the area you are staying in NY, and see if there is anything prohibited, or else restricted.

I am sorry I can not give a more definate answer, but with the NY state restrictions I can not give a more detailed answer.

What area are you going to be in while you are in NY state?

I will try to research this more for you in the next few days.
Old April 9, 2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Beowulf5505

I'm staying in the Jefferson County area. I decided i will hold off on bringing them back with me this time. I will get in touch with the local sheriff department and then look in to bringing them back next time i go back to MI.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Fishing_Cabin

Beowulf5505,

I have done some research, and while I am unsure of your exact local, in reference to local and county restictions, I will give you some more advise.

In reference to rifles, and shotguns in general. I can find no restriction with the state other then the AWB.

To give you a reference, NYfirearms.com has a breakdown which you may understand better then the penal code itself. The link:

http://www.nyfirearms.com/blog/nys-gun-laws/

Beyond knowing the exact locale, I can not point you to a better reference. Please forgive me, because I hate to tell you "yes" and then find out later on it is actually "no" so please double check for yourself to ensure you are indeed legal.

I wish you all the best. Also please do not interpret this as legal advice, as I am only trying to point you in the proper direction.

If you wish to read the NY state laws, the best link I can provide is:

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article265.htm