The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 11:54 AM   #51
orangello

Rather than talking to the neighbor, which might get him upset or angry and get you another visit for trespassing, send him a letter using certified mail with the return receipt. Include copies of a dozen reports from the SD & a copy of any relevant county laws/regulations regarding noise/fireworks/shooting. If he continues his reports after that, you would have a bit more for the SD or your lawyer to work with.

Certified mail seems to get people's attention for some reason.

Good luck!
Old May 25, 2010, 03:08 PM   #52
BlueTrain

I guess there is no such a thing as a good neighbor policy in Kentucky. Maybe I got it mixed up with Tennessee.
Buy War Bonds.
Old May 25, 2010, 03:23 PM   #53
1-DAB

next time you get ready to go plinking in the backyard, chill some drinks. when the deputy arrives (again), rehash the status, and offer him a duty legal cold drink for his trouble. maybe some munchies he can stash in his car for the rest of the shift. how good a cook is your wife (assume you are married)?

may as well have one person on your side.
Old May 26, 2010, 01:48 PM   #54
riverwalker76

UPDATE: 26 May 2010

Now the issue has been amplified!

A local Sheriff Dept. Lt. told him that he could have me cited for a noise violation!

Give me a break! If you have laws that say you can shoot in the county ... one of the outcomes is noise .... unless you want us all to have Class III permits and silencers.

This is getting ridiculous. WIth the Sheriff Dept. saying that ... I'm tempted to 'rally the troops' here in my county and get every shooter in the county down to the courthouse.

Don't they realize that if they cite me for a noise ordinance shooting violation that they leave the door wide open for the next idiot to get his foot in on the same issue?

I'm lost ... and I don't know what to do.
Old May 26, 2010, 01:53 PM   #55
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's time for you to talk directly to the Sheriff.

Find out exactly what the noise restrictions are in your area.

Find out if shooting on your property during the day would be a violation of those noise restrictions.

If you need to, go to the county attorney or county board of supervisor's office for a copy of the specific codes.

Until you get an exact handle on what is and what is not allowed, you're just flailing.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 26, 2010, 02:16 PM   #56
riverwalker76

I've read the state laws regarding the noise violation issue, and it basically states that it has to be an 'excessive' or 'untimely' noise issue. In other words .... shooting for hours at a time or at 2200 hours.

With me firing 2 or 3 magazines 2 times a month that hardly constitutes excessive in my opinion.

What are your thoughts? If he decides to take it any further then wouldn't he have to try and change a law or ordinance?
Old May 26, 2010, 02:33 PM   #57
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Our thoughts are meaningless, at this point.

Go find out exactly what your COUNTY ordinances say. Don't rely upon any State statute, unless the State has preemptive control over local ordinances (in this matter). With that information in hand, then talk to your Sheriff, as Mike has said, and find out the particulars of the neighbors complaints against you.

Time to get off the interwebs and do some foot work.
Old May 26, 2010, 07:27 PM   #58
doctruptwn

I don't know about your part of the country but around here, I would do the following. Go out around shoot a bunch. it's legal after all. When the deputy shows up, Politly request that you would like to press charges against the neighbor for harrassment.

What will normally happen around here is the deputy will then go to the other guy's house and explain that you have now pressed for charges against him, and will tell the guy since you are doing nothing wrong you have a valid complaint and that if he will stop calling on you then the deputy will see if your willing to drop the charges. It usually solves the problem.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:01 PM   #59
CrazyCrusader

No matter what method you use to befriend the deputies use it, out of spite and common sense. Enjoy your new company and giigle your ass off!!
If all fails, compile your evidence for a harassment suit.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:16 PM   #60
Shane Tuttle
Staff

As I said before, riverwalker, I think it's time to quit listening to the cheerleading here and take Mike and Antipitas' advice. We're not going to be able to provide what's black and white from our monitors.

Good luck and keep us posted. If there's anything you do take from this thread it would be this: At ALL times, be respectful to any LE personnel and any other public figure you come in contact. Keep your cool and emotions in check. You'll be surprised how far and effective you can go with that alone.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 27, 2010, 12:41 AM   #61
Mike Irwin
Staff

And I think this is an excellent time to lock this down. Nothing more is going to be resolved.

When you talk to your local authorities and get some concrete information about the situation that you are facing and how you can resolve it, then start a new thread and tell us how you've made out.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread