The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 3, 2002, 10:48 AM   #1
char923

Shot pattern

I have a fully rifled barrel on my Benelli M1 field, what kind of shot pattern will get shooting BB and 00 Buck because of no choke tubes and the barrel being rifled. I will be useing the gun in 3 gun matches.
Old March 16, 2002, 07:31 PM   #2
Adamantium

Odds are you will get large donut size patterns as the rifling will make all of your shot spin and drift from the center.

Sincerely,
Adam
Old March 16, 2002, 08:39 PM   #3
Chuck Graber

Beretta used to put out an ultralight O/U with the lower barrel rifled. It put out a very nice wide pattern at close ranges, i.e. under 20 yards. This was for hunting in heavy cover where most shots are taken at very close range.

I can't tell you how the large shot will perform with this barrel but the pattern will be wider than with a skeet choke. At much more than 25 yards there will be huge holes in the pattern.

Chuck Graber
Old March 16, 2002, 08:42 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Pattern questions.......you never know till the gun and load in question are tested for pattern by you. And that applies to shot in smoothbores.

You are going to try a very unlikely combination. Probably horrible pattern as Adamantium said. You never know tho till you try it.

Sam
Old March 18, 2002, 12:54 AM   #5
char923

Thanks