The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 22, 2017, 12:52 PM   #26
morgaj1

These guns are amazing for the price. I have a .243 compact that is the most accurate gun in my safe.
Old November 19, 2017, 10:11 AM   #27
IAhunter

Funny story, I walked into our local Cal Ranch store a few months back to buy dog food. I always check for available rifle powder when I am there. No powder I needed, but the kid at the counter says "we have Ruger American Predator rifles on sale for $247". Apparently they had too many in .223 Rem. I figured I couldn't go wrong and bought one for $267 out the door, figuring I would flip it if it didn't shoot or I don't like it.

Mounted an old Weaver 3X9 that I took off of a used rifle in cheap rings. Haven't had much time to work with it, but two range sessions resulted in a hand load that'll put 5 rounds in less than 3/4" at 100 yards. The first three rounds consistently touch! She's a keeper for less that $300 with the rings and should work well for coyotes this winter, if it ever cools off.
Old November 27, 2017, 09:56 AM   #28
BeeShooter

Very nice group. The 6.5 Creed cartridge has a lot to do with that grouping.
Old November 29, 2017, 09:24 PM   #29
dvdcrr

Just a little remiss that all new rifles are cheap. Miss the good old BDL, and M77
I think I'll buy a Sako in walnut.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.