The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 2, 2017, 02:00 PM   #26
Paul B.

On the Lawson thumbhole stocks, you can have a trigger blocking push button safety installed. I have one on my ultralight .308 with thumbhole stock. Works like a charm. It's built into the trigger guard.
Paul B.
Old May 2, 2017, 02:16 PM   #27
seanc

"anyone not like thumbholes and prefer a classic stock for comfort? "

I thought I didn't like them until I tried one, then found out I really liked it. That was on a semi-auto, but I'm currently debating on whether I want one for my bolt gun, which is my main hunting rifle.
Old October 7, 2017, 09:07 AM   #28
Axa

Is there anyone who know how different the Boyd's and Richard's stocks are in the distance from the Thumbhole to trigger?
I am looking at buying a Thumbhole stock for my Brno zkk600. I'm looking at the Richard's Dual grip and the Featherweight Thumbhole from Boyd's. My only concern is I'm worried the grip to trigger reach will be to long for the original CZ single set trigger?

I have asked both Boyd's and Richard's but only one responses so far the they did not know that measure.. And I have read som complaints about shooters with Andy hand don't fit this design of Thumbhole very well. I use sizes 8,5 or 9 in gloves, wich I think I should be about average.
Any suggestions?

I posted the question in the Smith forum before noticing this old thread..

Feel free to answer there instead if you want to...
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=590180
I posted in this thread only in hope to maximize my chance to reach them who might have any useful input since I'm in a bit of a hurry..
Old October 7, 2017, 09:30 AM   #29
Wyosmith

The Boyds is very long. if you don't have extra large hands you won't like it.
The Richards Micro-fit is also long, but shorter then the Boyds.

I know of no semi-inlet stock that has a thumb-hole today that is made for small to average hands. To get one made right, you have to make it from a blank. If you can make a stock from a blank, the thumb-hole style is not really much harder to make than any other. The first stock I ever made was a T.H. for a 98 Mauser which I did when I was 12. That was almost 50 years ago now. That gun is now on it's 3rd barrel, and it's made a mountain of venison in those 5 decades.
Old October 7, 2017, 12:52 PM   #30
Don Fischer

Tried one years ago and didn't care for it. Ok shooting from a bench but I didn't like carrying it.
Old October 8, 2017, 02:52 PM   #31
RC20

Quote:
Thumbhole stocks are easier to break too.
Have to bust that bubble with a fact, Boyds is a Laminated stock. Those suckers will take a tank across them going end to end (its the same technology that allowed your floor truss to go from 1.5 inch to 3/8!)

That said I tried what I call the Super Grip on a gun my brother owns.

Boyds Calls it Super Varmint.

Its the enhanced grip but not thumbhole,

I liked it as well as the Thrumbhole, its a Varmint, bench rest setup so I don't know how it field carries.

On the other hand, from what I could tell handling the light weight thumbhole with the 20 inch pencil barrel on it before I converted it to HB, it felts just fine.

Savage calls it their BTH (Boyds Thumbhole Hunter)

Last edited by RC20; October 8, 2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old October 8, 2017, 04:53 PM   #32
Paul B.

"I have noted that on most rifles, operating the safety is slower and more awkward with a thumbhole stock. In many cases, a pretty radical shift in the grip is required. Operating the safety is a big issue when hunting. Seconds count."

You make a valid point. However, My Harry Lawson custom has the safety built into the trigger guard. Works just like the safety on a pump shotgun. Easily slipped off with the trigger finger yet stiff enough to not be easily knocked out of the safe position.

Do a google search for Harry Lawson Rifles and clip on the picture that shows the trigger area. The safety button is quite visible.
Paul B.