The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 10, 2017, 08:22 AM   #1
wcyote

IJ Double Action 5 Shot Pistol

I just purchased a pistol that has IJ Double Action and Model 1900 stamped on it. It is nickel or chrome plated. It is a 5 shot revolver. The serial number is 203. It has a 2 inch octagonal barrel. Can anyone give me information about the age of the gun, rarity, value, caliber, etc. Thanks
Old July 10, 2017, 09:24 AM   #2
Jim Watson

The Iver Johnson Model 1900 stayed in the catalog from then until WWII.
But a serial number without a letter prefix was made before 1909, probably in 1900 or 1901. Mr Goforth says it is a "black powder gun."
It is not at all rare, an inexpensive gun in the lineup for 40 years.
I am sure you paid what you thought it is worth.
Old July 10, 2017, 10:49 AM   #3
wcyote

Thanks for the reply. I found the same information about the serial number and the date, however, it doesn't appear to be a black power, The cylinder is straight through like a modern pistol. I tried to post some pics of the gun. I uploaded them but they didn't attach to the post. Must be doing something wrong.
Old July 10, 2017, 02:51 PM   #4
sgms

many manufactures made and sold cartridge guns that were to use blackpowder cartridges, if I remember correctly colt sold some blackpowder only revolvers up till 1921-23. So don't be fooled by the fact that it loads like a modern revolver it may still be for black powder rounds.
Old July 10, 2017, 07:49 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Prior to about 1900, there was only one kind of powder, what we now call "black powder" ("BP") and guns were not made to handle pressure higher than the powder would generate. The BP pressure not only was lower but peaked sooner so that the highest pressure was held to the (normally) thickest part of the barrel or cylinder. Modern powder (usually termed "smokeless powder") generates higher pressure and retains that pressure further out in the barrel. That is why old guns fired with modern ammunition can blow up and injure the shooter. Most modern ammo that will fit the old guns will be held to the lower BP pressures (even though loaded with smokeless powder), but it is the responsibility of the user to be sure the ammunition is safe to fire in the old gun.

Jim