The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 16, 2013, 01:55 PM   #76
manta49

Whats all the panic buying all about. ?
Old February 16, 2013, 02:00 PM   #77
mayosligo

Anyone NOT engage in panic buying?

Not panic buying because there is nothing to buy. I check when I am in a store but usually there is only bird shot and 22-250 or hunting rounds that are not 308 or 30-06.
Old February 16, 2013, 02:56 PM   #78
treg

I was toying with the idea of no new guns in 2013 as part of a financial goal, so that part is easy.

Setting very good on ammo and components to ride things out so no emergency there that would force a buy in a panic market.

Just looking at some holsters and accessories that don't seem too affected by the panic.
Old February 16, 2013, 04:17 PM   #79
Puddle

Yeah this ^^^^^^^^^^

Was trying to find a way to not spend 1000's of dollars on ammunition, firearms and accessories this year. Guess that problem has been solved for me.

Now I just need politicians to start talking about banning golf equipment and I will be a rich man.
Old February 16, 2013, 04:21 PM   #80
Willie D

I didn't do a lot of shooting or buying gun stuff in 2009. I suspect this year will be the same.

If last time was any indication, eventually everyone else runs out of money to buy stuff and prices fall.
Old February 16, 2013, 05:35 PM   #81
bbqncigars

I bought my last impulse buy (Keltec PMR30) just before the current panic, so I'm GTG on guns. As far as ammo, I've got buttloads of .22lr, and enough centerfire components to see me through. I've always bought favorite load components in bulk. This was mainly to save money and to ensure that everything was in the same lot number, but it has served me well during the current insanity.
Old February 16, 2013, 06:42 PM   #82
graphic97501

I bought a 1000 rounds of SS109-5.56 ammo &
10 PMag Gen3, just to be sure they don't vanish.
Old February 16, 2013, 06:55 PM   #83
Spats McGee
Staff

I haven't engaged in any of the serious panic buying. I did have to buy a few rounds at inflated prices, but I shopped around until I found a decent price, then bought what I needed.
Old February 16, 2013, 07:29 PM   #84
luckynando

Re: Anyone NOT engage in panic buying?

I bought three guns this week. Not panic buying, I'm just impulsive.
Old February 16, 2013, 08:15 PM   #85
xLPlushy

Anyone NOT engage in panic buying?

I haven't "panic purchased" per se. Since all this hit the fan I've ordered 9mm and 40 cal bullets to load(they havea 14-16 week lead time so I'm at the manufacturers mercy), traded off some ammo I had from a gun I no longer have for some cash and small pistol primers, and picked up some ammo just to get some trigger time, and purchased 5 extra 15 round G22 mags at $25-30 each. Aside from that I've continued as normal.

Bought some powder to load pistol cartridges and small pistol primers will last quite a while. Trying to work up a few loads for my 7mm Mag for deer and like sized vermin to be used at long ranges(500-1000 yards). Can't find powder to work these new loads and can't find powder to replenish my supply from my last bout of load development.

Just picked up a post 64 Winchester 94 .30-30 for $225 out the door and .40cal ammo at $21/box50. So now I need to find reloading dies and components for it. The 40cal ammo is normal priced for the shop but about $6/box more than what I was used to paying pre-panic from another shop.

I can't afford to panic buy. When I see what I need for a reasonable pre-panic price I buy it. The 94 was on my list since September when I bought my brother one as an early Christmas/birthday gift.

Until this stops I will cease my normal live fire training regiment and switch to dry-fire as snap caps are cheap and reusable. I used to shoot a box a week training but now I'm down to 5 rounds a month.
Old February 16, 2013, 08:28 PM   #86
coachteet

My brother and I decided to sell a bunch of my ammo-- when everyone is buying, that's when you sell, econ 101. We took a bunch up to a little gun swap locally and rented a table for $15. Glad I took a can of my 22lr. I sold 500rd bricks for $50 and was the cheapest price in the whole place. Who doesn't have several thousand 22lr rounds in the basement?? Wish I had more, myself. I'd sell every bit of it, then go out and restock in a couple months when all this nonsense dies down.
Old February 16, 2013, 08:31 PM   #87
JohnKSa
Staff

I buy when I get good deals and supplies are plentiful. I avoid buying when prices are high and supplies are scarce.

I have bought a few things during this latest panic, but only things that have been largely unaffected by the scare.
Old February 16, 2013, 09:04 PM   #88
pat701

I bought a Glock 21 the day after Sandy Hook to avoid panic buying at panic prices.
Old February 16, 2013, 09:36 PM   #89
sserdlihc

I have not engaged in the panic. I do have a need but not willing to pay the prices out there right now. Reloading is a hobby and I have enough powder and bullets to get by for awhile. Meanwhile, I am hitting the range and honing my skill level.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:10 PM   #90
bbqbob51

I have not engaged in any of this panic B.S. I do have around 5000 rounds of 22LR as well as around 600=/- rounds of .223, 1000+/- of 9mm, 800 rounds of .38spl, 200 rounds of .357mag, and a few hundred of 20ga. I don't know how long this will last but I think a pretty long time as it is the depth of winter here and I only get out to shoot once a month or so as weather allows and have been to the indoor range only twice this winter. I will shoot more in a few months but I'm still not worried. I can live the dozen firearms I have and already have 2 AR-15s.
I did pick up 2 50 rd boxes of Winchester WB 38spl at Wallyworld for $18.98 apiece yesterday. Good enough price, not great but within reasonable range.
Old February 17, 2013, 01:19 PM   #91
P5 Guy

No Panic Purchases

But quite a few panic sales. I'm happy to say I have divested before the UBC goes thru.
Old February 17, 2013, 03:16 PM   #92
FairWarning

I didn't buy anything at inflated pricing or stockpile anything.

I did buy a very small amount of .357 just because:

A) I needed some
B) I was able to FIND it
C) It was in the typical range I've paid in recent years

If I couldn't have found the particular rounds I bought in a typical price range, I simply would have waited.
Old February 17, 2013, 05:48 PM   #93
mrbatchelor

Re: Anyone NOT engage in panic buying?

I bought two 880 spam cans of 7.62x54r and two 880 spam cans of 7.62x39 the week before the election. Figured that would last a long time.

I never expected Sandy Hook.
Old February 17, 2013, 06:42 PM   #94
Fargazer

I've been doing more "panic prowling" - a number of people in my area are selling ammo at reasonable prices in allocated quantities, so I regularly canvass them and pick up a few boxes at a time to supplement my current horde.

I did make one purchase - I've been hunting for 20 round FNAR mags for months (even before Sandy Hook), and finally found some at the Nashville gun show a week or two ago. MSRP is currently around 65, someone was selling a pair for 95 each, so I grabbed one and figured the extra 30 was "availability tax". Later on I found another person selling them for 200 each.

The biggest impact on me is that I'm now overly stingy with my shooting; my inner packrat kicks in and I shoot relatively little or visit the range less often, in spite of having a decent ammo cache.
Old February 18, 2013, 03:57 PM   #95
larryf1952

I waited for the 2008 rush to die down, and stocked up on reloading components in 2010/2011. I have no need to buy factory ammo, so the shortages aren't affecting me. I've reloaded and replenished every caliber that I shoot, but, since I don't shoot nearly as often or as much as I used to, I'm sure that my girls will one day be faced with disposing of some of the stuff that's currently on my shelves.

I have sold a S&W Model 59 and a Colt Trooper MKIII since December, but I also just bought a Kahr CW45 to go along with my CW9. I've no need for an AK or AR, so I can weather this thing out for as long as necessary.

I'm most amused by the folks who had no clue or inclination that they "needed" an AR or any other firearm last August, but who suddenly felt like it was life's most important purchase after the Sandy Hook tragedy.
Old February 18, 2013, 04:08 PM   #96
wayneinFL

I didn't do any panic buying. I only did selling.
Old February 18, 2013, 11:37 PM   #97
Mesquito Whitey

I can truthfully say that I have been consistant about buying small amounts over the last four years and feel perfectly comfortable with what I have.
Old February 18, 2013, 11:44 PM   #98
lamarw

No, I have 7,000 large pistol primers on hand and 6,000 small pistol primers being delivered this coming Wednesday, Feb. 20th to add to the thousand I already have on hand. I have plenty of powder. I am good to go for about a year except for maybe a couple of bullet orders.

I don't need any more guns unless I stumble across a good buy. I am one happy camper. God Bless the rest of you.
Old February 19, 2013, 06:05 PM   #99
Reinz

Haven't bought a thing.

I learned from the Primer Panic of the 90's. Never been low on primers since.

I learned from the Ammo Panic 4 yrs ago. Never been low since.
Old February 19, 2013, 08:02 PM   #100
Joe_Pike

I found a Glock 19 and a Kimber Solo today. $529 and $739. I left them both at the store. I've never wanted a Solo, even though they are difficult to come by, and I still can't talk myself into a Glock. So, even though the prices were fair I did not give in to the urge to have something just because it is difficult to find.