The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 5, 2012, 01:39 PM   #26
JWT

Stash? I don't know that I'd call what I have stash, but I do keep an ample supply in various calibers. Mostly because I buy on line in large quantities (500-1000rds.) to offset the shipping costs.
Old November 5, 2012, 02:24 PM   #27
JimDandy

Quote:
As has been stated, for the convenience of making unexpected stops at the range then that's understandable but not so much for self defense purposes unless you legitimately believe we will be invaded & our military overrun (I don't see that happening). Whatever is in the gun + an extra mag. I just can't realistically invision a situation where I would empty 2 mags & then have to reload them & go again.
You've obviously never had to repel communist invaders from your home town in the pacific northwest while yelling "Wolverine!". Let me tell you, you'll be happy to have a stash of several thousand 5.56 rounds, and RPG spares when it's your turn. I know from experience. Patrick Swayze and I were up on that ridge for a long time, with the only thing to eat a deer we killed and skinned from when our dad taught us how. Oh wait... trouble separating movie fantasy from reality again...
Old November 5, 2012, 02:58 PM   #28
p loader

Red Dawn!
Old November 5, 2012, 03:15 PM   #29
m&p45acp10+1

I keep enough ammo to feed most all of my range toys in my range bag. If I am leaving work, and going to the range I would have to go home anyway. Now if I am out, and about in the country with my truck rifle I keep at least a box of ammo for the hand gun, and the truck rifle to plink with. Most times I will also have a .22lr with a brick of ammo for that as well.
Old November 5, 2012, 03:15 PM   #30
StainlessSteel215

Great thread, and a topic that I considered many times in the recent months.

My initial thoughts months/years back were to get swept up in the SHTF mentality....where at any given time our gov could break down and lead to mass riots, looting, etc. That prompted me to jump from about 300 rounds on hand to 1200-1400 rounds of mainly 9mm, .223 and .45. Im an idiot for subscribing to that sort of low-brow thought process and wont do it again.

Fast forward to now....I learned that a situation like that is EXTREMELY unlikely and continuing at that rate will end up putting me in the poor house quick!

Now, I just buy in bulk because its cheaper...and store around 800 rounds of mixed ammo in my home safe. When it gets down around the 200 round mark I replenish. Takes me roughly 2-3 months to burn through 600 rounds so for me its a perfect system.

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; November 5, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old November 5, 2012, 03:36 PM   #31
Nanuk

Quote:
In vehicles, I have two plastic pill bottles which hold 14 rounds of 9mm each. The idea behind the 28 "spare" rounds is not to restock and return to fight, but to be loaded if fight is bad enough that I must exit the area.
My thoughts, however, mine are in loaded mags. A bug out bag with necessary gear is probably just as important and a nice place to put your extra ammo.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 5, 2012, 04:59 PM   #32
ka26

I don't know how to quote on here so
@ JimDandy there's still time to build up your stores. If I remember right you have about a month before you'll have to fight off N. Korea with Hemsworth.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:21 PM   #33
Hammerhead

I have a stash of reloading components including some premium SD bullets, but no ammo stashed.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:30 PM   #34
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
The bridge is out,the road is flooded, the riot is between you and home, etc., what ever the reason, you might (possibly) be forced to spend some time with just what's on your person, and in your vehicle.
To be quite honest, I never really thought about that, but I am now. Extra boxes stored at the north house and some extra in the console from now on. To be taken in when home, of course.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:41 PM   #35
dayman

I keep an old .22 revolver and a box of rounds in the spare tire compartment. Not for personal protection or a fear of being cut off from civilization. But rather because finishing off one car-hit deer with a pocket knife was enough.

I do try to keep a sizable stash of everything at home.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:53 PM   #36
Redneckrepairs

I have a .30 cal ammo can full of .22lr , and a " battle pack " (.223 mg can a bit bigger than a .50 cal can) full of assorted rifle and pistol calibers in the pickup . But then i have a ranch , and have been known to call the day off due to lack of interest and plink prairie dogs , or shoot steel for an afternoon .
Old November 6, 2012, 04:14 PM   #37
johnwilliamson062

I usually have a box of 9mm left over from a range trip. A few thousand rounds of 22lr isn't abnormal either.

And I'm just talking about between the seat cushions.
Old November 6, 2012, 04:20 PM   #38
aarondhgraham

It's more for an unexpected range trip,,,

I keep a Ruger 22/45, three mags, and 200 rounds of Mini Mags,,,
All in a lock-box that is attached to the cab of my baby truck.

That's in addition to whatever carry gun I might have on me that day.

It's there in case I want to make a fast range trip after work.

Come to think about it I should take it inside now,,,
Daylight savings time shift means no more after work range trips.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 6, 2012, 05:28 PM   #39
pgdion

Stevie-Ray, I keep a few boxes of .22 super-x a t the place up north as well as a couple of boxes of 9mm. After all, it's where we'd head if disaster ever struck here. I keep a Marlin 795 rifle up there too. What a great back up gun they are. Hopefully I'd be able to grab guns and ammo before heading out but just in case I could't, I'm not left totally out in the cold.
Old November 6, 2012, 05:37 PM   #40
Gerry

Quote:
Must be preparerd for the Red Threat!!
Aww yes, the red maple leaf on the Canadian flag. If you must know, the only reason why we carry extra ammo in the back of our pickups is for the improved traction due to the extra weight on those snowy roads. There is no need for Americans to be scared of Canadians who do this. It's not like we're planning for an invasion. Yet.
Old November 6, 2012, 05:46 PM   #41
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Stevie-Ray, I keep a few boxes of .22 super-x a t the place up north as well as a couple of boxes of 9mm. After all, it's where we'd head if disaster ever struck here.
After reading this thread, I now have a plan together. Originally, my EDC and an extra mag was all I'd take with me when I ventured north. That changes as of now, and as usual, this place was full of great ideas.
Old November 6, 2012, 05:51 PM   #42
Deja vu

I keep a box of 357 magnum stashed in my glove compartment incase I forget my ammo on the way to the range.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old November 6, 2012, 06:26 PM   #43
BigJimP

No, I don't keep extra ammo in my vehicle...for spontaneous range visits - or if SHTF scenarios (which I don't think are particularly realistic).

I reload ...so my ammo supply is at home / and I always have 10 - 60 boxes of ammo loaded per caliber I shoot ( especially 9mm, .357 Mag and .45 acp )...and several thousand bullets and components for reloading.

I was at my local range this morning for a couple of hours with 4 boxes of .357 mag and a couple of revolvers....practicing my double taps, etc...having some fun. But I plan my range trips ..or just grab my range bag and go when I want....
Old November 6, 2012, 10:25 PM   #44
ccwnut

My "stash" as it's called is a couple of ammo cans full of 9mm FMJ rounds. These are reserved for target practice in the backyard on my days off. If things get so bad that I can't make it out of a situation with my EDC, I'll run, fast!
Old November 7, 2012, 12:23 AM   #45
RBid

I carry a spare mag, and have another in my EDC/go-bag. More importantly, I have food, water, a poncho, 2 flashlights, a first aid kit, a lighter, waterproof matches, etc.

For the record, I look exactly unlike a prepper (according to stereotypes).
Old November 7, 2012, 04:29 AM   #46
iraiam

YES!

I have ammo/gun stashes, as well as food, water, fuel, batteries, candles, uncented baby wipes...you get the idea, The list is quite extensive.

If I went into detail you would probably think I was some kind of paranoid gun nut...oh wait.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old November 7, 2012, 10:05 AM   #47
Woody55

I try to keep a year's worth of ammo on hand for each weapon. So, I usually have anywhere from 3 months to 18 months on hand.

This doesn't have anything to do with zombies, civil disorder, nuclear war or any other emergency. It has more to do with having enough time to hunt for bargains and buying enough at one time to get better prices.

It's all in a locked closet. In our last house, where my wife had made inroads into every closet in the house, I tried hiding it in small lots around the house. I must have done a really good job because I could never find all of it until we moved.
Old November 7, 2012, 05:18 PM   #48
G_Wink

Election

After seeing the results I plan on stocking up!
Old November 7, 2012, 05:26 PM   #49
barstoolguru

I lost all of it and my guns when i was fishing
Old November 7, 2012, 05:29 PM   #50
Woody55

G Wink said,
Quote:
After seeing the results I plan on stocking up!
Why?

Nothing has changed.

Same President. Republican House. Democrat Senate (sort of).

They didn't do anything the last four years and aren't going to do anything the next four years.