The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 25, 2009, 09:05 PM   #1
raze

5 shot tactical shotgun?

I know a 'tactical' shotgun should technically have a larger shell capacity than most shotguns, however I (living in New York City) can not register a long gun that holds more than 5 rounds...
I had wanted to pick up a Remington 870 tac-2, but that holds one round too many...
Now I’m looking at the Model 870™ Express Synthetic 18" which comes in a 5 or 7 shot model.
Anyone know of a 'tactical' shotgun like the 870 tac-2 with a 4 or 5 shot capacity? Any other manufacturers possibly?

Thanks.
Old January 25, 2009, 09:11 PM   #2
B. Lahey

5 in the mag or 5 total?

If you can have one that holds 5 in the tube, 18.5" Mossberg 500SP. I've got one, it works fine. The plastic stock is ugly as heck, but you can always swap it out.
Old January 25, 2009, 09:14 PM   #3
Creeper

The Benelli Nova Pump Tactical is 4+1 stock... although that might be a bit more than you want to spend.

C
Old January 25, 2009, 09:52 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Buy a standard 4+1 capacity 870 and learn to run it. Maybe add a side saddle or butt cuff to keep some extra rounds close and handy. Up to you.

Barring 1 in a million events, the average HD crisis will use far less ammo than The Battle For Hue. Someone who knows how to load and fire an 870 will do OK.
Old January 25, 2009, 09:58 PM   #5
JTMcC

Of course it would be dumb to recomend you move out of NY, but I will anyway

I agree with every post above, I would feel very secure in the night with a 870 and a little extra ammo, once I got a good personal relationship going with the shotgun.

JTMcC.
Old January 26, 2009, 06:24 AM   #6
dogtown tom

Would it be legal if you inserted a plug into the magazine to reduce the capacity?

That makes any shotgun legal for hunting purposes in almost all states.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 26, 2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Chuckusaret

Dogtown Bob you beat me to it, thats how the hunting world does it, a simple wooden dowel cut to length.
Old January 26, 2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Lee Lapin

raze,

The tacticality of the shooter is far more important than the tacticality of the shotgun. Learn to 'shoot one/load one' until it is second nature, and the capacity of the magazine will seem less of a problem. Keeping spare ammo on the gun helps. 'Shotgun Yoda' Louis Awerbuck sez that no magazine is ever big enough, might as well learn to live with it.

lpl
Old January 26, 2009, 11:25 AM   #9
oletymer

Listen to what Lee just posted. Most of the Mall Ninjas I have seen could not hit the inside of a barn from what I have seen. Get the gun, get to shoot the gun, practice with the gun and then see if you are able.
Old January 26, 2009, 11:35 AM   #10
rantingredneck

I have 3 870's. Only one of them wears an extension (and I have mixed feelings about that one....). The 4+1 variety works just fine as others have said.

If the law is total capacity 5 or under then that basically renders illegal the Mossberg 500. Standard capacity there is 5+1.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 26, 2009, 12:31 PM   #11
Cerick

buy the tac 2 if you want and take the mag tube extension off. I do that with my TAC desert recon when hunting
Old January 26, 2009, 12:44 PM   #12
NightSleeper

+1 to the Benelli Nova tactical 12-gauge. I got mine used for $386, a steal. And brand new they only go for a little more. It comes 4+1 from the factory, exactly what you're looking for. Plus it comes with ghost ring sights, ideal for a HD gun.
Old January 26, 2009, 02:04 PM   #13
BillCA

The good old bottom ejecting Ithaca 37 is back.
Old January 26, 2009, 03:48 PM   #14
nemoaz

Magazine limitations generally refer to the magazine itself. I wouldn't assume Mossbergs are illegal.
Old January 26, 2009, 04:14 PM   #15
raze

Lots of great info as always. Thanks to everyone. The super-nova looks very nice, but I still might end up going with the 870 express. Now I’m torn but happy. I’d rather have too many choices than none
Old January 26, 2009, 04:33 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

5 rounds of buckshot is plenty for 4 intruders at my house as the first guy will get a double shot before I realize he has company...
Brent
Old January 26, 2009, 04:35 PM   #17
nemoaz

Here's a quote regarding illegal weapons in the state of New York:

An "assault weapon" means
(a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; (v) a grenade launcher; or

(b) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; (iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(c) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; (ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer; (iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned; (iv) a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; (v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm; or

(d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (All Models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (Sc-70); (iv) Colt Ar-15;(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC; (vi) SWD M 10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; (vii) Steyr Aug; (viii) Intratec TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (ix) Revolving Cylinder Shotguns, such as (or Similar to) the Streetsweeper and Striker 12; (e) provided, however, that such term does not include: (i) any rifle, shotgun or pistol that (a) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever or slide-action; (b) has been rendered permanently inoperable; or (c) is an antique firearm as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16); (ii) a semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; (iii) a semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine; (iv) a rifle, shotgun or pistol, or a replica or a duplicate thereof, specified in appendix A to section 922 of 18 U.S.C. as such weapon was manufactured on October 1, 1993. The mere fact that a weapon is not listed in appendix A shall not be construed to mean that such weapon is an assault weapon; or (v) a semiautomatic rifle, a semiautomatic shotgun or a semiautomatic pistol or any of the weapons defined in paragraph (d) of this subdivision lawfully possessed prior to September 14, 1994.

NYC admin code: http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi

16. "Assault weapon."
(a) Any semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifle or semiautomatic
shotgun which has one or more of the following features:
1. folding or telescoping stock or no stock;
2. pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the
weapon;
3. bayonet mount;
4. flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash
suppressor;
5. barrel shroud;
6. grenade launcher; or
7. modifications of such features, or other features, determined by
rule of the commissioner to be particularly suitable for military and
not sporting purposes. In addition, the commissioner shall, by rule,
designate specific semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifles or
semiautomatic shotguns, identified by make, model and/or manufacturer's
name, as within the definition of assault weapon, if the commissioner
determines that such weapons are particularly suitable for military and
not sporting purposes. The commissioner shall inspect such specific
designated semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifles or semiautomatic
shotguns at least three times per year, and shall revise or update such
designations as he or she deems appropriate.
(b) Any shotgun with a revolving-cylinder magazine.
(c) Any part, or combination of parts, designed or redesigned or
intended to readily convert a rifle or shotgun into an assault weapon.
(d) "Assault weapon" shall not include any rifle or shotgun modified
to render it permanently inoperative.

At first glance, I don't see any restriction on any pump shotgun, only semiauto shotguns. I don't have the interest to read them all links. If it's important to you, you can finish the research: http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/permits/permits.shtml

Last edited by nemoaz; January 26, 2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old January 26, 2009, 06:06 PM   #18
raze

Thanks for the info. I almost feel bad that you did all that research but i called the rule dept and they told me first hand that they will not register anything with greater than a 5 round capacity. If you ask they will tell you its 4+1, if you dont ask i've heard that they will register a 5+1 if its written up as a 5 round mag (omitting the +1).
Old January 28, 2009, 05:17 AM   #19
StuntManMike

Get a regular 870 and add a Scattergun +1 extension. No shame in running a five round mag. Look up Tim Lau's thread on 10-8 forums. He seems to like the 870 with just a +1.
Old January 28, 2009, 08:19 PM   #20
raze

Wow. Stunty, Thank you. I feel dumb now. after reading your post i did some more research. I didn't realize that the 870 tac-2 (6 or 7 round mag) was including a 2 or 3 shot extension tube. I called a local shop that had a 6 round 18 incher and asked them to remove the extension tube and replace it with a standard end cap. PROBLEM SOLVED. I'll run it in a 4 +1 configuration for now, but at least i'll have the gun i want.

Thanks again.