The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old January 28, 2012, 09:25 PM   #51
Jammer Six

The Religion of the Setting Sun specifically forbids drinking while reloading.
Old January 28, 2012, 09:31 PM   #52
1Hobie

Old January 28, 2012, 09:39 PM   #53
frumious

I am not above having a beer or two (or a coke or two, or a cup of coffee or three) during a couple hours of reloading, or prepping/sorting components, or cleaning guns. Especially cleaning guns. The trickiest part for me keeping some part of my hand clean enough to grab the bottle/cup/whatever and not get lead/lube/whatever all over it. And my face.

Oh, and Sevens...five beers and two donuts? Now THAT'S what I call a day off

-cls
Old January 28, 2012, 10:29 PM   #54
jmorris

Quote:

So far we have:

7 against prepping brass while drinking

12 who think its fine to prep brass while drinking

8 who just stopped by to preach about the evils of drinking, or had no opinion.
I hope I wasn't put in the "bad" group. I was only suggesting that he only puts himself in harms way.

I think the guys that suggest that he is evil or other wise are the same folks that made it a law that I HAVE to put on a seat belt to get the mail out of MY box at the road.

I have always liked the quote "the right to swing my arm ends at the tip of your nose." Or in other words don't mess with me if I am not messing with you.

These days folks want to make laws (or be condesinding) so others have to hold their opnion. I don't favor that view.
Old January 28, 2012, 11:07 PM   #55
jinxer3006

Quote:
I mean, why drink when there's opiates
This forum needs a "like" button.
Old January 29, 2012, 06:56 AM   #56
Marco Califo

And what about Weed?

Medical, of course. Makes me load less, but not really care about it either. I don't know the effect on accuracy, because I stay on the couch, eat ding-dongs, frozen burritos, and watch TV, rather than go to the range.

For laughs I put spilled powder in the ash tray.

Last edited by Marco Califo; January 29, 2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old January 29, 2012, 10:44 AM   #57
frumious

So far this has been (I think) the longest-running, most civilized thread regarding alcohol that the reloading forum has ever seen.

However, IBTL ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

-cls
Old January 29, 2012, 10:47 AM   #58
MOshooter65202

I'm not much of a drinker and definitely not in the gun room? jmo
Old January 29, 2012, 01:16 PM   #59
snuffy

Well here I go into the "BAD" area, as defined by a drinker that's enabling himself by calling sober people "BAD".

This August will be 29 years sober. I found out it's very possible to have fun without drinking. I nearly killed myself and my brother by drinking and driving. No AA, I just quit!

My gun club is affilaited with the NRA, in order to qualify for the DCM matches. One of the most solid rules of the NRA is; no drinking before shooting. That law is enforced at our club ranges, if you have a beer at the bar in the clubhouse, you don't shoot. PERIOD! If you shoot, THEN drink, fine, but then don't turn around and shoot some more.

I would expect that the use of prescription pain killers would be the same as a couple of beers. I'm talking about stuff like 5-500 Vicodin. That's what is prescribed for me, 2 per day as needed. Problem is, I most always need them. Degenerated discs in my spine are quite painful, if they aren't kicking up a fuss, then my knees are.

If I'm going to load shells, I abstain from the Vicodin until after I'm done. If I'm going to cast bullets, then I can take my drug. Case prep? I don't see the danger, same goes for a barley pop or two. Alcohol impairs judgement, plain and simple. As does a narcotic. I seldom get high from the Vicodin, because I need it. Ask any doctor, if prescribed, narcotics don't get you high if they have pain to conquer.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 29, 2012, 01:40 PM   #60
Sparks1957

I've got to chime in here too. It will be 20 years since I've had a drink if I live until Sept.18 The world is a far better and safer place since I stopped drinking and shooting dope into my veins, trust me. Not only for me, but for everyone in my vicinity. I carried weapons when I was drinking and drugging, and as rageful as I was in those days, it's a wonder no one died.

The danger I see here is that the human mind works in strange and devious ways when one is addicted. Sure, it's just cleaning brass... but pretty soon you'll convince yourself it's ok to handle primers and powder after a snootful... then it's not a big reach to say it's ok to shoot... then how about a little coke or oxycontin to go with that? No problem...

I don't mean to moralize here, but addicts rationalize everything to themselves, and unfortunately other people are often affected.
Old January 29, 2012, 01:42 PM   #61
Sparks1957

Quote:
The Religion of the Setting Sun specifically forbids drinking while reloading.
Oh, and what is this all about Jammer?
Old January 29, 2012, 05:03 PM   #62
jmorris

Quote:
My gun club is affilaited with the NRA, in order to qualify for the DCM matches. One of the most solid rules of the NRA is; no drinking before shooting.
Reminds me of a story Jerry Miculek told me at nationals a few years ago. He said, back in the old days bullseye shooting, guys would often shoot "wet". A drink between strings to calm the nerves.
Old January 29, 2012, 05:20 PM   #63
hooligan1

jmorris, I have seen people also shoot "wet", when I was in the Guard, some fellas thought that it had a profound effect on their shooting. I didn't drink to help me control my nerves, I wanted "clean" results on my targets, good or bad.
I never could judge anybody for drinking and shooting for score because some of these fellas truly shot better after a beer or three.. me I loose interest in most things when I start drinking beer..... just ask the wife...heheheh
Old January 29, 2012, 05:27 PM   #64
1Hobie

Gil Hebard, my mentor and friend, used to bring those little bottles of Coca-cola with him to his bullseye matches. He'd add a little "nectar" to them during the match. He is a high master having shot 2700(don't recall the x count) more than once.
That being said I don't follow in his footsteps. I enjoy having a drink or two but I'm able to put my priorities in order. I love going to the range and having fun. I enjoy going to my local watering hole after that and b.s.ing with my friends. Not the other way around.
Alcohol can be many things to people. Some can handle it, some can't. I've seen the worst cases you can imagine. I also know some great people that like a toddy now and then. It is what you make of it.
All I ask is to get to know me before judgement is made just on the basis that I like to drink now and then. If you don't partake then good for you. I've been married for 33 years, always go to work, and I clean my guns.
Have a good one my friends.
Bottoms up!
Hobie
Old January 29, 2012, 05:58 PM   #65
SL1

Trying to get back to the original post:

Although case prep while drinking or drunk is probably not going to produce dangerous ammo, eating or drinking while doing the case prep might very well produce dangerous levels of lead in the reloader's body. And, too much lead in your systetem can make you act stupid in the future, so maybe THAT could make for dangerous ammo.

And, I will add that I do NOT do any reloading activities after drinking any alcohol. In fact, like many people, for reasons that aren't apparent, I sometimes do things that I recognize are not too bright, and, after dicovering that I just did one, I conciously think of what ELSE I might have done during that time. IF it was reloading, I go back and check every reloading-related thing I did about that same time. And, as I decide to reload, I ask myself if I have done anything that seemed uncharacteristically stupid recently. It the answer is "yes" I do something else that isn't dangerous if I screw it up.

SL1
Old January 29, 2012, 06:02 PM   #66
Unclenick
Staff

I have a funny story about an antihistamine making me drowsy and helping me clean targets. But the OP is really about doing brass prep under the influence and not shooting under it, which is not to be recommended. At high level competition, like the Olympics, drugs are tested for, so you really want to train to be able to shoot well without them if you have any high aspirations.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; January 30, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old January 29, 2012, 06:08 PM   #67
1Hobie

Pretty well covered I'd say

I'd bet that the OP never reckoned this thread would take off like this.

General consensus...know when to say when. Now, back to my pure grain alcohol and apple, banana, and strawberry juice. Not just good but good for me.

Hobie signing off on this one. :0)
Old January 29, 2012, 06:37 PM   #68
Sparks1957

Quote:
Now, back to my pure grain alcohol and apple, banana, and strawberry juice. Not just good but good for me
Enjoy, and have one for me. Just don't go shooting afterwards.
Old January 29, 2012, 06:40 PM   #69
1Hobie

Roger that!

"Honest ocifer, I'm not as think as you drunk I am."

G-night all. I've brass to process.

Hobie
Old January 29, 2012, 10:21 PM   #70
kdog70

I am glad the thread made it this far with out too much bickering. I was just wondering opinions and I got them. I guess I am an" alcoholic" cause I am drinking on a Sunday night, sue me I suppose. There is a difference between drinking and being three sheets into the wind.

I have case prepped with a few beers, I do not drink every time but if the work day was long and the brass and hulls are piled up then I might. I figure, which is probably wrong, I work for an undisclosed beer company so I drink sometimes as part of my job so I know my limits. I am also an 5 year X college football player, offensive lineman. 6'5" 285(now weight) Between my past. present, and body mass two or three beers is nothing for me to worry about.
Old January 30, 2012, 05:26 AM   #71
Sparks1957

Slightly off-topic here, but no one can diagnose another person as an alcoholic.

If people ask me "Do you think I have a drinking problem?", I always answer with "Do you think you have a drinking problem?" Chances are, if you're worried about it, you might.

My hat's off to anyone who can have a couple and stop... I could never do that. So guys, if you enjoy a drink or two while reloading or whatever, use some common sense and be safe.
Old January 30, 2012, 07:43 AM   #72
Roaddog

I like my beer and if I'm prepping brass the beer is on the bench.When loading or shooting no. That's just me, can't speek to what somone else should do.
Old January 30, 2012, 05:58 PM   #73
howlnmad

I see no real danger in having a couple of cold adult beverages while prepping brass.
Old January 30, 2012, 06:11 PM   #74
flashhole

Other than being branded an alcoholic I don't either.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old January 30, 2012, 09:55 PM   #75
m&p45acp10+1

I had an appletini while tumbling brass earlier. The brass came out just fine.