The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 8, 2009, 03:07 PM   #1
Uncle Malice

Ha! My employer just modified company policy to disallow firearms on the premises...

I live in Phoenix, and as everyone knows, Arizona is a VERY gun-friendly state. I guess my employer doesn't feel quite so liberal. Which makes sense, I suppose. The owner is originally from IL... but so am I!!

Anyways, I'm not really complaining so much, as I am just ranting. I know of about 6 other people who CCW daily... including work. I think the change was made because I invited my boss to come to the range with me and a coworker... he said he would, but seemed a bit hesitant so I didn't ask again. I figured I would let it be his choice.

Just received an email about the company policy changing, effective as of September that no weapons shall be allowed on the company property.

Apparently we scared the liberal Wisconsin-native...

This is kind of irritating. Number one reason is that I am the first one in the building every morning at 5am to open up shop. It's still a dark parking lot and while I'm not particularly scared of anything happening, there's still a chance for danger. A distant second on the list is having to leave my firearm in my car during the days of 115-120F heat... Sucks!!!
Old July 8, 2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

Update: After speaking with the boss(who forwarded me a copy of the revised policy), I asked if there was a reason why it was sent directly to me.

He told me that I was the only one "that he knew of" who had a weapon on the premises.

So clearly, my mistake was not that I had it; but rather that I offered to take him to the range and let him use mine, and educate him on the use of firearms and informing him of my carry permit.

Not to mention that the Vice President of Sales has a CCW and carries daily... and he has been with the company for 14 years.

So much for opening my mouth!!
Old July 8, 2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Glock-19

Its concealed for a reason, no one will know you have it unless you need it. I'm guessing if you actually need it you won't be worrying about losing your job, because you will still have your life.
Old July 8, 2009, 03:32 PM   #4
CWPinSC

Unless the policy is company-wide, for every employee, it's not legal.

Your alternatives:
1. Carry and take a chance on getting caught, which will probably get you fired.
2. Don't carry and take a chance on something worse than getting fired happening.
3. Quit.
Old July 8, 2009, 03:34 PM   #5
liberty1

My company which employs thousands nationwide has policy that does not allow even so much as a knife in your car while you are on the property.
Old July 8, 2009, 03:35 PM   #6
spacemanspiff

You could always play their game and whine about being discriminated against by their sending you the policy directly. It could be a form of harrassment to be singled out like that.

When the insurance office I work at was writing up their employee handbooks they never noticed that I edited the section on weapons so that it would prohibit illegal weapons.

Now though, we adopted the handbook from our parent office, which is based in Chicago, and they don't even have any weapon policy at all, I guess since handguns are banned in Chicago their lawyers figured it wasn't an issue.
Old July 8, 2009, 04:33 PM   #7
Mike Pearce

Earlier this year, Utah passed a law that allows guns in any parked car. The employer cannot prohibit leaving your gun in your car when you work.
Old July 8, 2009, 04:38 PM   #8
PhoenixConflagration

Nice Spiff. I use the same argument at the mall. Their sign says "No firearms or other illegal weapons", and since my firearm is not illegal, I'm okay! As for work, I left my gun in my glove box for a few months, then said [sic]. I carry at work anyway. It's concealed.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; July 9, 2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: skirting the language filter
Old July 8, 2009, 04:39 PM   #9
PhoenixConflagration

A lot of states have the same law that Mike above mentioned. Check yours.
Old July 8, 2009, 04:39 PM   #10
greyson97

Parking lot counts towards company policy, so you cant leave your gun in your car.

The great state of texas passed a law allowing employees to have guns in their car despite company policy not allowing guns on company property.
Old July 8, 2009, 04:40 PM   #11
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I spend a considerable amount of time finding ways to cause trouble at work.

Mind you, nothing illegal or violent. Just the insidious, politically motivated trouble that makes people other than myself look like idiots. It is a talent I have, rooting out stupidity.

You're in a tough situation but you might ask your boss, "What about the VP for sales? Does this apply to executives too?" You're not really tattling on him, just looking for clarification. When they find out that one of their own is carrying, things may change. To them, you are a peon. You can be abused and treated like crap. He is not. He may even put up enough of a stink to change things. You may also want to forward the email to the VP and see what he says.

But I do like this:

Quote:
It could be a form of harrassment to be singled out like that.
If they pulled that garbage where I worked, I would be a millionaire. I can only hope (but they are generally not THAT stupid).
Old July 8, 2009, 04:42 PM   #12
Doc Intrepid

Sorry to hear about that, Uncle Malice.

I guess the lesson we all learn is to keep quiet about having weapons on company property? Or the fact that we own weapons at all?

Looks like CWPinSC pegged it...

You have those three options.....

Best with it,

Doc
Old July 8, 2009, 04:45 PM   #13
Uncle Malice

Haha... excellent for you, spaceman!

Liberty1, Your car is not company property, even if it's parked on company property. They can't say jack about what is in your car.

I'm not too concerned about it.. I talked with the boss to inform him that there are quit a few others who carry, but I won't name them. If it's that much of a concern, they need to make an announcement about it because a lot of people around here carry.
Old July 8, 2009, 04:54 PM   #14
greyson97

when i put my hands in my pockets, i am carrying concealed weapons. what are you gonna do about it boss?
Old July 8, 2009, 05:16 PM   #15
6x6pinz

I feel for you Uncle Malice. There are a lot of rules and changes coming. The most recent one here in Phoenix is directed at such employers. If the employer does not allow firearms to be kept in the car, they must provide separate parking for those who do carry them or a secure place for the firearms to be stored onsite.

Fortunately one of my companies benefits are corporate range passes at a local indoor range. In fact last year 10 of us went through the ccw classes on the companies dime. We called it a team builder If you catch the boss in a good mood targets and ammo can be had on him.
Old July 8, 2009, 08:06 PM   #16
Steve1911

Go to the VP that also carries and see if you two can get together with the others that carry, and see if you can come up with a proposal that a reasonable employer would be ok with.

It is the same principle as unionizing... only without the union part...

I also would see if the VP and the guy that sent the email to you are closer... then see if he would go to the range with the VP.

Or you could get a lawyer and have them send the company a letter... that sometimes works too.......
Old July 8, 2009, 08:36 PM   #17
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x6pinz
I feel for you Uncle Malice. There are a lot of rules and changes coming. The most recent one here in Phoenix is directed at such employers. If the employer does not allow firearms to be kept in the car, they must provide separate parking for those who do carry them or a secure place for the firearms to be stored onsite.

Fortunately one of my companies benefits are corporate range passes at a local indoor range. In fact last year 10 of us went through the ccw classes on the companies dime. We called it a team builder If you catch the boss in a good mood targets and ammo can be had on him.
You guys hiring in the IT department?!
Old July 8, 2009, 09:09 PM   #18
B.N.Real

Liability insurance will normally not cover your company if you allow employees to carry loaded firearms on your premises and something bad happens.
Old July 8, 2009, 09:26 PM   #19
Farmland

There is no exclusion in the ISO General Liability Insurance forms that would exclude liability for a gun accident or in that fact an employee shooting at your place of employment. I doubt even if they tried a manuscripted exclusion endorsement it would not hold up in the courts either. In any event I have never heard a single case of an insurance company refusing liability arising out of the use or handling of a firearm at a place of employment.

Your only fault was letting work know too much about your personal life. I love firearms but few if any people I work with now my passion for firearms. Personally I would let the matter drop and follow the new company rules. Or at least just not say anything and do what you want with the risk of being terminated.
Old July 8, 2009, 10:18 PM   #20
Walter

Quote:
The great state of texas passed a law allowing employees to have guns in their car despite company policy not allowing guns on company property.
greyson97, When was this law enacted? I have heard it discussed, but if
it became "Law", I must have been asleep at the wheel, and missed it.
Can you give me any more info on this?

Walter
Old July 8, 2009, 10:22 PM   #21
Playboypenguin

That sucks. My boss where I work is a grade-a, self absorbed, know-it-all jerk but at least I never have to worry about that happening.
Old July 8, 2009, 10:32 PM   #22
zoomie

Quote:
greyson97, When was this law enacted? I have heard it discussed, but if it became "Law", I must have been asleep at the wheel, and missed it. Can you give me any more info on this?
The only TX bill I know of dealing with parking lot carry (not saying it's the only bill) was SB730. It died on the calendar at the end of the session.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...81R&Bill=SB730

Its companion, HB1301 died in committee.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...1R&Bill=HB1301
Old July 8, 2009, 10:43 PM   #23
G-man 26

You could always take a play from the left-wing Union book of dirty tricks. All of you (ccw holders) go in and offer them the opportunity to change it back before you all find other jobs. Bosses faced with the loss of that many people at once usually suddenly realize the value of their employees and become "flexible" on a number of issues.
Old July 8, 2009, 11:02 PM   #24
Walter

Quote:
You could always take a play from the left-wing Union book of dirty tricks. All of you (ccw holders) go in and offer them the opportunity to change it back before you all find other jobs. Bosses faced with the loss of that many people at once usually suddenly realize the value of their employees and become "flexible" on a number of issues.
In this economic situation? Where I work, a year ago, we had 200 employees.
After the series of layoffs, we have about 50. I would guess that maybe 5 or 7
of those "carry".
I don't think that would put much of a scare into management if "we"
threatened to quit. Like it or not, for now, "Don't ask, Don't tell" seems
like the best way to go.

Walter
Old July 8, 2009, 11:17 PM   #25
srt 10 jimbo

Do they actually come out and search your car? man I'm glad I'm self employed.