The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 7, 2008, 01:11 AM   #1
michhees

Suppressor for a Beretta

I would like to purchase a suppressor for my boyfriends 9mm Beretta Storm PX4. Any recommendations? I have zero knowledge in this so please be patient with me and remember to dumb down the responses. Thanks so much!
Old December 7, 2008, 01:28 AM   #2
IZinterrogator

Unfortunately, you can not purchase a suppressor as a gift for someone else because they are highly regulated. You would have to give him the money and he would have to buy it and go through the red tape himself. Sorry.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old December 7, 2008, 01:52 AM   #3

While that is true, you could order a suppressor through a dealer, pay for it, and then when it comes in to the dealer, have the boyfriend go down and start the paperwork.

My choice for your application would be the AAC Evolution 9. Look around your local area and see if any dealers in your area have any 9mm suppressors in stock. If they do, it would cut down on the time involved greatly. If they don't and you have a local class 3 dealer, then you can buy the suppressor from another dealer (probably from a deal you found on-line) and have it transfered from that dealer to your dealer. The last alternative and by far the worst alternative would be to have your local class 3 dealer order you a suppressor from the factory (this takes a LONG time. Six months just to get the suppressor to the dealer would not be out of the question).

If you still want to pursue this, let us know and we can give you a lot more advice on the subject.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old December 7, 2008, 12:45 PM   #4
michhees

"If you still want to pursue this, let us know and we can give you a lot more advice on the subject."

Mr. 444,

I would like as much information as you all can give me and am still up for the challenge even if it means he needs do make the actual purchase. I could get it all lined up before telling him his "surprise". He has also mentioned setting up a firing range in the back yard. This sounds like it would be illegal to me, but what do I know. There is a river behind the house, but neighbors on either side. Thoughts?
Old December 7, 2008, 12:51 PM   #5

The first thing you need to do is find the closest Class III dealer to where you live. That is the starting point. That person can answer any questions you might have.
Look in the phone book under gun dealers. If there is a Class III dealer, they will probably mention it in their ad. They might mention something about selling machine guns. If not, just start calling dealers out of the phone book and asking them if they are a Class III dealer. If they arn't, ask them where there is one.
When you find one, they will be able to tell you important things like if suppressors are even legal where you live. How difficult it might or might not be to get the required sign-off by your local sheriff or cheif of police.

That is the start of the process.

By the way, if you were thinking about doing this for Christmas I hate to tell you this but this whole process is going to take a minimum of probably four months and probably longer.
Old December 7, 2008, 01:29 PM   #6
michhees

4 MONTHS???!!! Wow. I guess Christmas is out of the question, maybe I will focus on his birthday in April. Thank you for the help. Are suppressors interchangeable with different guns? Is it like a one size fits all kind of thing? How long do they last? I mean, do they break down over time with use lessening the "suppression"?
Old December 7, 2008, 01:55 PM   #7

Four months would be optimistic. That would be best case senario: a local dealer has the suppressor you want in stock. There is no issue with getting the chief law enforcement officer sign-off and you get the paperwork in the mail to ATF right away. The ATF alone could take four months.
If you have to order the suppressor from another dealer and have it transfered to your local dealer, six months or more.
If you have to order the suppressor you want from the factory, a year wouldn't be out of the question.

The first two suppressors I ordered too well over a year from the time I paid for them to the time I took them home.

If you buy a 9mm suppressor, it can be used on any other 9mm gun. It could also be used on a .38 like a .357 rifle or carbine. You could, technically use it on anything smaller like a .22LR but this isn't the best way to go: it is way too big and heavy for a .22 but it will work to some degree.

You arn't going to wear out a good quality 9mm suppressor.
Old December 7, 2008, 03:11 PM   #8
IZinterrogator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444
While that is true, you could order a suppressor through a dealer, pay for it, and then when it comes in to the dealer, have the boyfriend go down and start the paperwork.
444, don't you think the dealer might look at that as a sort of Class III straw purchase? I would if I was a dealer.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old December 7, 2008, 03:36 PM   #9

I deleted my actual response.

How about this, you tell her whatever you want and I will just shut up.
I am not going to waste my time.
Old December 7, 2008, 06:03 PM   #10
michhees

I apologize for wasting your time 444. I was simply looking for information and thought this type of forum would be the best option. Thanks for everything you told me. I found it very informative and not at all dismissive. For that, I am grateful.