The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 20, 2019, 05:43 PM   #276
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
The point where I'll be forced to sacrifice my principles on the altar of practicality is when my instructor certification comes up for renewal. My state requires the NRA Basic Pistol class as a prerequisite for carry permits, so if I want to teach permit classes I have to maintain my certification. Fortunately, my renewal won't come up for awhile, and maybe the mess will have been resolved by that time.
Does it have to be NRA? There are others out there.
Yes, it has to be the NRA Basic Pistol class. It's enshrined in statute. (I think the statute may say "or approved equal" or something like that, but the state police havn't approved any others.)
Jeepaholic
Old September 21, 2019, 06:11 AM   #277
Tony Z

As with many organizations, for the most part, the core retains the principal vales for which the group was founded. But in many times, said group is lead by a group of vocals. The problem occurs when the vocals start to build a shield of invincibility around themselves. The fatal flaw is the vocals do not understand, sooner or later the core realizes what has happened and either the core retakes the organization, or the organization falls apart.

The NRA is quickly reaching the point of imploding upon itself and widespread abandonment by the core group. I know more than a few members and, take a sampling size of five, at least two out of that five are aware of the problems. They have not yet reached the abandonment stage, but a simple extraneous event may precipitate that occurrence.