The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 14, 2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Joe W

Original signature on C&R license

I have been told that it no longer is a requirement that a copy of a C&R license contain an "original" signature and that the signature may also be photocopied.
Is this correct ??
Old July 15, 2009, 10:13 AM   #2
jag2

I doubt it. I just got mine a few months ago and was specifically told
to not sign the original but to make numerous copies and sign those, not
the original. I don't think the BATF would change that. I would question your source.
Old July 15, 2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Joe W

Original Signature on C&R Lic.

I was told that by an FFL dealer. I do know that many FFL dealers will accept a FAX copy of a FFL and of course this FAX would not have a original signature. Guess I will have to call FFL Licensing Center to find out for sure.
Old July 15, 2009, 11:38 AM   #4
HankC1

01FFL (dealer) can be verified at BATF Easycheck online system but not 03FFL (C&R). That maybe why people will accept faxed or photocopied FFL and verify online but not C&R. I would only accept an ink signed C&R.
Old July 15, 2009, 11:52 AM   #5
johnwilliamson062

THere are several distributors and such that will accept faxed 03 FFLs.
Old July 15, 2009, 12:06 PM   #6
jimgiven

ATF told me yesterday not to sign the original...to make copies and send the copy with your signature.

Take your kids hunting before you have to hunt for your kids!!!
Old July 15, 2009, 01:48 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

It def says to not sin the original, and it may be that you are supposed to mail copy you sign, but i think that all predates faxing the FFL and it is kind of a pointless regulation now. Just b/c it is pointless does not mean a bureaucrat is going to tell you to ignore it or that the rule book will change. Maybe you aren't allowed to fax 03s technically. I think I have only faxed them to set up accounts for distributors so I could see their pricing, so IDK.
Old July 15, 2009, 02:40 PM   #8
jsmaye

I have faxed signed copies to both SOG and Classic Arms, and have bought from both using the faxed copy on file. So faxing a copy must be okay, if only in an implicit sense.
Old July 15, 2009, 03:44 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

I am not admitting to any technical felonies whether or not I may have committed them(such as faxing 03 FFLs to purchase a gun to the above mentioned dealers and others). If they don't have an original FFL on files it is b/c they made a copy and lost the original. My story, and I am sticking to it.

My original is definitely unsigned, but I do have a signed copy around here somewhere for when I fax the copy to set up the distributor accounts...
Old July 17, 2009, 11:28 PM   #10
Joe W

Original Signature no longer needed

Just to be sure I called the regional office of the ATF yesterday. I was told that it is no longer required that the copy of any FFL contain an original signature. I was told that FAX copies and email attachments were also acceptable.