The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 6, 2011, 02:12 PM   #1
shooter_john

SBR Dilemma (.223 or .300 Blk)

I plan to celebrate the repeal of Alabama's SBR prohibition shortly after Christmas this year, and I now find myself in a bit of a dilemma. What I do know is that my SBR will be based on the AR platform. What I don't know is what cartridge I want to go with. I already have a .308 suppressor, so I'm good there either way I go.

The main reason I am leaning slightly to the .300 Blk side of things is that I just might hunt with this rifle or better yet my kids might end up hunting with it, as my oldest son is now 5. (No I will not be hunting with the suppressor). A good reason to stick with .223 is the abundance of loaded ammo and components that I already have on hand. So, I ask those of you with more experience with SBR's than me to talk me out of one or the other. Most likely I'll end up buying a barrel in both cartridges at some point seeing that all other rifle components are interchangeable, but which one do I want to start with?
Thanks!
Old November 6, 2011, 11:03 PM   #2
David Hineline

Of course buy both is the answer but why would you not hunt with the silencer?
Old November 6, 2011, 11:46 PM   #3
shooter_john

Hunting with a suppressor is not something that we the residents of Alabama are allowed to do.

SBR's just became legal this year, maybe we can hunt with suppressors next year.
Old November 9, 2011, 09:16 AM   #4
snipecatcher

I love my 10" 300 BLK. I can see no reason for a short barrel .223 when the BLK works so much better, especially if you are going to be using a suppressor or hunting.
Old November 13, 2011, 11:18 AM   #5
RAnb

I would start with the BLK as it is made to cycle the AR action with sub or super sonic ammo. I have uppers for 223 and 300 whisper.

Ranb