The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 31, 2014, 09:46 PM   #1
zach_

Fobus paddle holster

Anybody out there use a fobus paddle holster GL2E2? I am concerned about the pointed edges wearing through my pants just below the belt line. It is comfortable, retention and retention adjustment is good, concealment is good. I am worried about ruining pants.
Old November 2, 2014, 12:11 AM   #2
KyJim

I have owned one Fobus paddle holster -- for a revolver. It was pretty much the worst holster I've purchased. The gun fit in the holster fine. I just thought the paddle mechanism left a lot to be desired. It is the only paddle holster I ever bought. I never wore it enough to wear holes in my pants.
Old November 2, 2014, 10:30 AM   #3
boondocker385

I was given one....didn't hold the gun close enough to my body. Spend more money and get something better...
Old November 2, 2014, 11:40 AM   #4
pete2

I use a couple for IDPA, wouldn't dream of actually using them for concealed carry. I use leather for carry or a nylon pocket holster for the little guns.
Old November 2, 2014, 06:19 PM   #5
Airman Basic

Got one for a Ruger LCR. Another for a Sig P220. Wear one of them every day for years now. Good holsters at great prices, IMO.
Old November 2, 2014, 06:48 PM   #6
Sharkbite

Ive seen tons of em brake during training classes. I would not use one if given to me for free
Old November 4, 2014, 10:31 AM   #7
zach_

airman basic

Airman Basic, does the holster wear hole in your pants on the points of contact whew there is a corner on the plastic?
Old November 4, 2014, 01:35 PM   #8
JimDandy

Why can't you use a file and/or rasp to round the edges?
Edit to add: Having given it even more thought, as the edges may help hold it in place, you could also glue some thin leather strips, felt, or other tacky fabric to the paddle as a buffer.

Last edited by JimDandy; November 4, 2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old November 4, 2014, 04:03 PM   #9
zach_

I might try that Jim Dandy. I tried on other holsters. This one fits me best. I even tried on some of the high dollar leather holsters. Too much alteration of the belt fitting me comfortably. IWB was a bad option for me all together. This was actually one of the last ones that I tried. I assumed it would suck because of it's price and being made completely of plastic.
Old November 4, 2014, 06:38 PM   #10
Airman Basic

Quote:
Airman Basic, does the holster wear hole in your pants on the points of contact whew there is a corner on the plastic?
Does not. Neither of my carry guns is overly heavy, but have not had that problem.
Old November 5, 2014, 08:33 PM   #11
zach_

Thank you Airman Basic. I have 30 days to refund or exchange. For $25.00 I am happy. I don't want to wind up with a dozen holsters that I never use.
Old November 6, 2014, 10:07 AM   #12
JimDandy

Bad news, you probably will anyway. Holsters are like a junk drawer. You can only minimize it, not eliminate it.
Old November 6, 2014, 10:16 AM   #13
zach_

Good info Jim Dandy. What about shoulder holsters. Is there a functional difference between the $50.00 variety and say, a Miami Classic? Those are all in sealed packages where I looked. They would not let me open them up ant test with a gun.
Old November 6, 2014, 01:38 PM   #14
JimDandy

The Miami series are probably the "It" thing in shoulder holsters. Way way back when, they were called the Jackass, then Miami Vice came out and made them famous. Thus the name change, and Miami reference. At least that's the story.

Like any other carry position, shoulder holsters will work for some, but not others. I can use the Miami Classic II shoulder system, and have one. The Miami Classic (not II) would be less comfortable given my size, I imagine, and the Vertical system even less so. I'm not small, and reaching that much futher for a vertical pistol or bottom opening magazines might be a stretch I can't make without months of nothing but rice cakes.

A lot of custom leather holster manufacturers will make a shoulder rig as well, and they all but copy the Miami line. I haven't done a LOT of research, as I went with the Miami Classic II pretty quickly- but you're probably trading a little leather quality from them, for Spider Harness Flexalon Backplate thing-a-ma-jig. I think if I were doing it again today, without the ability to test them, I'd still go Miami for the Whatchamacallit. If I were any bigger than a touch over 6' tall and about a 60 Regular coat size, I might have to go with a custom maker to get the shoulder harness in the size I need.

If by "$50" version you're talking about an Uncle Mike's style fabric thing... I wouldn't get one of those, but I'm sure they're good enough for others. It may be unfair but but there's a fair degree of bias against the cheap/nylon stuff because so many have bought cheap, found out it wasn't good enough for them and had to go out and buy again- especially for Inside the Waistband style holsters that need a stiffened opening for one-handed holstering.

And to be fair, despite dropping the money on a Miami Classic, I've never been outside wearing it. I've put it on, and adjusted it so I can, but I always seem to go back to my Kramer IWB. Part of it is- I don't use it so I'm not used to it. The other part is what I'm not used to. Without the tie downs it flops around too much. With the tie downs, I can feel it tug everything I bend/sit/stand.

As another shoulder holster option, Blackhawk! has made a rig to work with their Serpa platform. Nylon harness, plastic mounting bracket like thier beltloop, drop leg, and Paddle mounting systems. I got one for free with the drop leg system I picked up. That's about all I would have paid for it. Serpa stuff is not as compact and concealable as leather/nylon to me. If I want concealment I want it to be great. Rarely I won't care about concealment (like the Drop Leg) during hunting or the like so it's utterly un-concealable. I personally have no interest in a hybrid type in there that I can conceal in a pinch.

Your mileage may vary, in which case, a kit with a Serpa Paddle, Belt Loop, and Shoulder mount may be the ticket One holster, three mountings. 2 Minutes with an allen wrench.

My personal choices:

Inside the Waistband a Kramer leather IWb #1.5 or #3 (I'm west Coast, if I were East Coast, thee was a place in Florida that had basically the same stuff)

Miami Classic II Shoulder System

Blackhawk! Serpa Drop leg system also available in a STRIKE kit (which I picked up, then purchases a Serpa Holster that fits non-Berettas) cheap on Ebay

My next holster is most likely to be a Multi Holster 2 in 1 that you just change the mounting hardware to flip flop inside and outside the waistband in Kydex (I want to try a Kydex IWB for easier re-holstering. Plus they can mold for a laser, so I may get it for my railed 1911 with the railmaster.

You've got a real gun belt too don't you? Not a cowboy Action shooting Wild West movie type, but a plastic reinforced or horsehide leather gun belt designed specifically for the weight of a pistol, holster, magazine carrier, and so on?
Old November 6, 2014, 02:05 PM   #15
indie_rocker

Barsony makes a pretty decent nylon shoulder setup for about $50. I use one for motorcycle carry. Purchased it through Amazon. Might be worth your time to check it out.
Old November 6, 2014, 02:11 PM   #16
zach_

Thanks again for the feedback Jim Dandy. I like my Fobus for OWB. I have tried many IWB, they don't work for me. They all bind me up and annoy me to no end. I do not like having a loaded pistol pointed at my junk anyway as far as an appendix carry. I need a shoulder holster for cooler weather. I want to tuck in a shirt, and wear a jacket at times. That is when I would want the shoulder holster. I guess the retailers do not want to repackage the shoulder holsters, or have to sell one or all of them as an open box item, for their reasoning to not allow a test drive.