The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 2005, 03:32 PM   #1
Sid K

Info on 338-06 A-square

I'm planning to build 388-06 on a Mauser vz 24 action with an AB barrel. I have noted the magazine is going to be a little on the short side (about .040) and I'm wondering how much luck I'll have necking up 30-06 brass instead paying through the nose for new brass. I plan to get an RCBS FL die set and get an extra 8mm expander so I can do the expanding in two steps. I would sure appreciate advice from any who have experience here.
Sid K
Old June 13, 2005, 06:11 PM   #2
EchoFiveMike

With a decent tapered expander, you won't need to go 8mm first. Hornady's expander is my fav. You're only expanding .030, which isn't much at all. It helps to use new brass, as brass work hardens and unless you want to anneal, you may get a higher rate of split necks with fired brass. I've gone 30-06 to 35 Whelan in one step, so 338-06 should be cake. Make sure you lube the inside of the case mouth, this is where most of the friction is going to be. A cotton swab is ideal for this. S/F...Ken M
Old June 13, 2005, 08:59 PM   #3
Sid K

Thanks Ken, I like The Hornady dies also but they don't list a 338-06 set. I notice that Redding has a replacement long tapered expander in 338 so I think I'll shell out the extra money and go with their three die set and the extra expander. I use a neck sizer mostly but can't seem to get buy without a FL die. I have done a good bit of necking down but never tried necking up before, so I appreciate your comments and will try to do it in one operation.
sid