The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2005, 01:23 PM   #1
arthurrh

Shell stuck in die

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later... I got a shell stuck in a full length resizing die. It's my .300 RUM in a Hornady die.

I lubed the shell quite well, it was shot out of my own bolt-action. But it was an extermely tight fit.

Questions:

1) why would it stick?

2) what is your favorite trick for removing stuck cases
Old April 20, 2005, 01:31 PM   #2
Zekewolf

I don't have any opinion about why the case stuck. Typically, stuck cases are caused by lack of lube.

My fix for removing stuck cases is to use Lee dies, which incorporate a built-in stuck case removal feature. I also bought an RCBS stuck case removal kit, for the times that I'm not using Lee dies.
Old April 20, 2005, 01:46 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

As Zekewolf said, the most common reason a case gets stuck is due to lack of lubrication. Two things come to mind in your case. You might not have lubed that particular case as well as you thought, or more probably since you stated/implied it was very tight in the rifle chamber, the lube might have been wiped off the case in the lower end of the die leaving the case dry in the die itself.

Methods to get it out?
Buy or borrow a stuck case removal tool. RCBS sells a good one.

I would have to look at your die to know if the following method would work. If you can remove the seating stem leaving the case mouth open, you can screw the die in upside down and push the case out with a strong bolt through the case mouth and touching the head. Use the leverage power of the ram to press the shell out. A little penetrating oil (e.g., PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench) down the side of the case should help.

You don't say what type of press you have. You might have to remove the threaded sleave in the press if it has one in order to get the die in upside-down and then replace it by screwing it into the press while simultaneously screwing the die into it.
Old April 20, 2005, 02:20 PM   #4
Vic303

You can always ship it off to Hornady & they will pull it for you & mail it back. At least I know RCBS offers that option, and I expect Hornady does also. You can call them & ask.
Old April 20, 2005, 02:38 PM   #5
brickeyee

Buy a tap and drill at the local hardware store. 1/4-20 works for most .308 heads, 10-24 for the .223 heads. Drill and tap the head of the shell. Use a socket that clears the case head but catches the die (about 5/8 for a .308. about 1/2 for a .223) and run a screw with a nut and washer through the square drive and into the case. Screw the nut down against the socket and the case will come out.
I have all the things needed, so this is simpler than buying a stuck case remover. They work the exact same way.
Old April 22, 2005, 11:56 AM   #6
arthurrh

I'm pretty certain I lubed it, since it was the first and only piece of brass I did. Actually, it was not going in, so I took it out and lubed it even more. And then I got it stuck.
Old April 22, 2005, 05:06 PM   #7
Smokey Joe

Stuck case, arrrrgh!

Boy, I really like Brickeyee's set-up...BUT, I hope I never in life have occasion to try it. Already BTDT with the stuck case, thank you kindly!

While you're setting up the Brickeyee Stuck Case Remover Assembly, try some Kroil, a penetrating libricant. It seeks out the smallest openings and crawls between the surfaces. Can't hurt, might help. I'd apply it to both ends of the stuck case if possible.

--Smokey Joe
Old April 24, 2005, 03:12 PM   #8
Chip 2

Are you sure you ran that 300 RUM case in a 300 RUM sizing die and not a different caliber die? If you double lubed that case, and it was still tight enough to stick, then you have something wrong with your dies. Or your rifle chamber is way over sized. By the way, what kind of lube were you using?
Old April 24, 2005, 03:24 PM   #9
musher

You probably need to disassemble and clean the die. You can have this problem with properly lubed cases if you've switched lube types or the die gets a little gunk in it.

It doesn't take much to make things stick.

Scrub it out with a bore brush and hoppes #9, dry patch until clean, spray inside with a bit of the same lube you're using with your cases.

Should be good to go.

I had this problem with a 25'06 NECK sizing die. I stuck 3 cases in the thing before I figured out what the problem was. Visually the die appeared clean, but after I scrubbed it, no more stuck cases.
Old April 24, 2005, 04:10 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

My favorite solution is a 4 or 5 day trip to the deep freeze and then heat (warm, really) the die with a blow torch while pulling on the case head with a vice grips.
Old April 26, 2005, 01:54 PM   #11
arthurrh

I sent the die off to Hornady with a couple of shells just to see if they can tell me anything in addition to getting it unstuck.

I measured a loaded round vs a fired round, and I see .003 expansion in the body, but still below saami diameter for this round.
Old April 26, 2005, 01:57 PM   #12
arthurrh

Chip:

Yes, for sure it was the correct die. The lube is the Hornady spray stuff.

I'm curious whether perhaps the die is somewhat tighter than spec for the chamber. As I mentioned above, my chamber is actually tighter than spec, so it should fit any die.

But maybe it WAS just not enough lube, or perhaps not cleaning the die thorougly enough before the first use, which I suspect is probably the culprit.
Old April 26, 2005, 02:10 PM   #13
30Cal

I'm not a big fan of spray lubes after sticking a case or two with them (don't remember which one). I use Imperial Case Wax now and have never even had a close call with it.

Ty
Old April 27, 2005, 09:37 AM   #14
MADISON

Shell stuck in die

I had a .223 Remmington Hornady sizing dies that would stick a case 1 out of 10 times. I bought an Upgraded set of .223 dies. As soon as I did, I sent the dies back to Hornady to have them polish the inside of the die[s]. No more trouble.

I have gone through several different lube greases. The only one I can get to work, to my satisfactioon is Hornady's UNIQUE GREASE.
Old April 27, 2005, 10:45 AM   #15
Master Blaster

Quote:
The lube is the Hornady spray stuff.
One Shot, its the only lube I ever used that caused the cases to get stuck in reloading dies, and I did it to two different dies on the same day with .223 cases. The redding die I had to send back because I ripped the entire case head off using the drill and tap method. The LEE die Iwas able to extract the case using the decapping rod and a mallet.

I threw my can of one shot in the trash where it belongs. I have resized hundreds of cases with the redding die since then using LEE sizing wax, and using dillon spray lube both of which work perfectly.

Somone will chime in here and defend one shot, but I would never use it on any rifle case EVER.

JMHO YMMV
Old April 27, 2005, 10:51 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Somone will chime in here and defend one shot, but I would never use it on any rifle case EVER."

Yep, me...

I've loaded several thousand rounds (.30-06, .270, .300 Savage, and .243) since I discovered One Shot.

I have to say that I really like it, but it does require a bit more care to ensure that the cases get proper coverage.

Essentially it's a wax in a solvent carrier. Hornady claims that the solvent will make the lube "creep" around the case, but I think that depends a LOT on ambient conditions and how quickly the solvent carrier will evaporate.

I learned that somewhat the hard way when I stuck a .243 in an RCBS die. That's when I resorted to the deep freeze, blow torch, and vice grips.

I also learned that spraying BOTH sides of the cases is always good practice.

I've not had a problem since.
Old April 27, 2005, 03:24 PM   #17
MADISON

One Shot, its the only lube I ever used that caused the cases to get stuck in reloadi

"One Shot, its the only lube I ever used that caused the cases to get stuck in reloading dies."
Doesn't that tell you something...Like throw the "One Shot" in the trash and, find something that works. See above experence.
Old April 27, 2005, 03:38 PM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Doesn't that tell you something...Like throw the "One Shot" in the trash and, find something that works."

If you're going to chuck your One Shot in a fit of pique, please chuck it into a box and send it to me.

As I noted, I've reloaded some thousands of rifle rounds using only One Shot for lubrication.

Onces I figured out how to handle the lube, no problems.
Old April 27, 2005, 09:24 PM   #19
drinks

Stuck case

It seems to me a lube that does not work per instructions is not necessarely an ideal lube for most folks.
I first used Johnson's Carnuba paste floor wax, then the Lyman, then went to the Lee , I am now trying the Hornady unique tub, just to see if it is any easier or better than the Lee, so far, the only thing I have used it for that was easier than the Lee was to lube bullets before I sized and crimped the gas checks, I just got my fingers slick and fondled the bullets as I put the gas checks on, worked fine and a rubbing lasted longer than the Lee lube.
I have never stuck a case and I have been reloading since '55.
Don
Old April 28, 2005, 01:45 PM   #20
Master Blaster

Quote:
Onces I figured out how to handle the lube, no problems
So how many cases did you stick in a die before you figured out how to handle it properly????
Come on you can tell us.

Enjoy your one shot, I would never buy or use it again.

Lee wax lube works perfectly although its a bit tedious to apply with your fingers, Dillon case lube works perfectly, of course you must roll the sprayed cases around in a towel to distribute the lube and remove the excess or you get case neck dents.

It seems every stuck case experience I read about involved the use of "one shot".

Plus it STINKS HORRIBLY. But no doubt someone here will reply that its their favorite horrible smell, stench, errrrrrrrrrrrrr aroma
Old April 28, 2005, 01:54 PM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

"So how many cases did you stick in a die before you figured out how to handle it properly????
Come on you can tell us."

I've already told you. The answer is here in this very thread. It's not a snake, it won't bite you if you go looking for it.

Oh, and here's the kicker...

When I worked for NRA, I formed some .30-06 cases into .300 Savage. The One Shot did the job perfectly, with no dents and no stuck cases in the forming die.

The aroma isn't the most pleasant in the world, but I've smelled much worse (G.I. Bore Cleaner comes immediately to mind).

One Shot's biggest problem?

It's between 10 and 100 times more expensive than other lubrication methods.

A friend of mine has been using the same bottle of single-weight motor oil for lubing his rifle cases for almost 20 years.
Old April 28, 2005, 05:45 PM   #22
arthurrh

I've loaded a couple thousand rounds with one-shot and this is the first time I got a case stuck. I'm leaning more towards the die not being fully clean for it's first use.
Old April 30, 2005, 12:26 AM   #23
OfcrBill

Mal H said it...

I second Mal's advice. After my dies have been sitting for awhile, I usually clean them out with a cotton swab and gun cleaning solvent. This works for me. Additionally, after learning the hard way, I clean my spent casings in a tumbler until they are totally crud-free and clean. My 2, Bill
USS Jason AR 8
USS Kitty Hawk CV 63