The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 25, 2019, 12:15 AM   #1
FarmerIvan

30-06 Trigger

Howdy all, so I just purchased a new Mossberg 30-06 with a 3-9x40 Vortex scope from Kentucky Gun Co. Who had a smokin’ good deal on em and i was finally going to be able to shoot it today at my folks range and mind you this is my first rifle I ever purchased, I have some handguns and now getting into rifles so I can get into hunting. But anyway, I loaded a few Remington 150 Grain Core Lokt, aimed at my target and as I was pulled the trigger nothing happened. I thought I had the safety on and flipped the switch and still nothing happened. I did this a couple times with ammo and without and nothing. I watched a few videos and notice when they dry fire, the rifle makes a clicking sound, but when I dry fire it, it does not. What do y’all think may be the problem?
Old November 25, 2019, 12:59 AM   #2
Pathfinder45

I am guessing that the trigger was never properly adjusted at the factory. Maybe somehow it got past their quality control department without even being proof-fired. This simply should not be possible, but times have changed and it would seem that many manufacturers would rather use the customer for their quality control rather than do it themselves. Since it is such a brand new rifle, maybe the dealer will let you exchange it, but they will likely refer you to the manufacturer for a warranty repair. If you can get your money back and start over, I recommend a model 70 Winchester, even though it won't be cheap.
Old November 25, 2019, 04:56 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Sounds like, for what ever reason, the firing pin is not snapping forward when the trigger is pulled.

Its brand new, its under warranty. Take it right back where you bought it and tells them it does not work!!! (you did read and follow the manual's instructions, right??)

Have them test it, if it works for them, have them show you what you missed, thank them, and go shooting. If it doesn't work they should replace it, or handle sending back to the maker for repair.

Please let us know how things work out.
Old November 25, 2019, 05:40 AM   #4
NHSHOOTER

That rifle must have the accutrigger? Make sure your finger is pulling that little blade tab back all the way (its in the middle of the trigger). Its like a second safety..
Old November 25, 2019, 07:07 PM   #5
jmr40

The blade in the middle of the trigger has to be depressed to fire. It is possible that you just have your finger on the edge of the trigger.

Or for whatever reason the gun is not cocking, which would be a defective rifle.

Winston Churchill
Old November 25, 2019, 09:29 PM   #6
FarmerIvan

I read the manual when I got home. Did everything it was saying to do and still nothing. I know about the safety on the trigger and I pulled it with the safety on and off so I know it’s not how I’m pulling the trigger. So It may be the firing pin is just not snapping like it should. I did call the company i bought if from and they were going to let mossberg know about it, but haven’t heard back yet from them so I may just give them a call tomorrow myself.
Old November 26, 2019, 02:12 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Mossberg calls theirs LBA, Lightning Bolt Action Trigger. It's possible somebody at Kentucky Gun fiddled with it and it's set so low the sear doesn't catch. Highly unlikely to be anything to do with the safety.
I wouldn't wait for the retailer(that an internet purchase? Just curious.). The rifle is under warrantee.
E-Mail: [email protected]
Phone: 1-800-363-3555
https://www.mossberg.com/contact-us/