The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 9, 2019, 11:39 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

NMLRA blackpowder classes for 2020

I've attended numerous classes hosted by the NMLRA at WKU, Bowling Green, KY. Camaraderie is great and you get training from recognized masters of their craft. First master gunsmith of Colonial Williamsburg W. Gulser is teaching as is the 3rd master gunsmith (also now ret.) G. Suiter. Jim Kibbler is teaching relief carving and someone else teaching assembling Kibler Kits. The kit assembly is a good way to build your own long rifle. They're a lot of fun.

Earlier this year I took tool making. No pressure and a lot of fun to make tools that are useful for working on flintlocks. I made a marking scribe, tracer, sanding block (hey, I had the time and some scrap walnut), die and form for making brass buttcaps for pistols, mandrels for forming entry pipes and pipes, relief carving tools, forearm molding tool. The class is not offered in 2020.

https://www.nmlragunsmithingseminar.org/2020-classes

A day after the class ends, the national shoot at Friendship, IN takes place so most guys head up there and hang around Friendship for a few days. I bought some vise blocks for octagon barrels from the Rice Barrel Company as well as a solid brass ramrod (32 cal) for a friend.
Old October 10, 2019, 10:53 AM   #2
Pahoo

Excellent info !!!

Quote:
Camaraderie is great and you get training from recognized masters of their craft.
Gary, consider yourself blessed as our local classes, were lacking. In the past, I have attended two of their classes and one was to get certified. Lots of fun and sharing. The range time was too short but got the job done. Would really enjoy sitting in on one of these classes. ……

I encourage all Front-Stuffers to attend. Be prepared to learn new and better habits. ….

Be Safe !!!