The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 2, 2019, 01:18 PM   #1
Rachen

HEADS UP: Tap-O-Cap percussion cap maker available at Dixie.

Innovative percussion cap former that uses a punch to stamp out No. 10 sized primer cups from aluminum soft drink cans are now available at Dixie Gun Works for $54.95. These had been discontinued for a while but are now back in production.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/search

To use, you have to supply the priming mixture, which is available as roll strip toy caps sold almost everywhere. The included punch cuts out the roll caps to exact dimensions that will fit the formed cups. Two charges in each cup produces a fairly hot blast and have no problems at all with igniting even the least sensitive black powder substitutes.

A must have in every serious black powder shooter's possession.

Last edited by Rachen; October 2, 2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old October 2, 2019, 05:10 PM   #2
noelf2

Your link doesn't work. Searched Dixie and they are still not available.
Old October 2, 2019, 05:18 PM   #3
Rachen

Here, try this one:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...sion+Cap+Maker

Item no. RL0805

Recently updated as "currently unavailable". But the item is part of the catalog, so probably a temporary issue.
Old October 2, 2019, 05:50 PM   #4
Centurion

I used to make some primers with mine. Added Armstrong mix and they functioned pretty well.

Last edited by Centurion; October 2, 2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old October 3, 2019, 11:55 AM   #5
HiBC

Seems to me its been decades since I've seen roll caps for sale. Or Greenie Stickum Caps.
What am I missing?
Old October 3, 2019, 12:25 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Seems to me its been decades since I've seen roll caps for sale. Or Greenie Stickum Caps.
What am I missing?
The toy section of department stores.
Or... the border checkpoint? Perhaps your Gub'ment banned them. Such nearly happened on our side of the border.
Old October 3, 2019, 10:32 PM   #7
Hawg

Use the German made roll caps.The Chinese caps are too weak. I have used plastic strip caps with extra roll cap blisters in them with mixed results.
Old October 4, 2019, 05:36 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

about time. Thanks.

Thanks Hawg for the tip on the German caps. I use to put 2-3 Chicom caps in mine to make them work.
Old October 4, 2019, 08:15 PM   #9
Deltadart

Priming mix

Walmart has caps I think, last time I made some primers with my old Tap O Cap they were the source. Also the guys in Colorado that make the .22 long rifle reloading kit offer a 4 part priming mix.
http://22lrreloader.com/ix.
Old October 5, 2019, 02:06 PM   #10
Thomas Clarke

Does anyone have a link for the German Caps or domestic caps. It has been years since I saw caps in department stores or toy stores. LGS have been no help.
Old October 5, 2019, 02:47 PM   #11
Hawg

I got them at either Walmart or a dollar store. Legends is the name.
Old October 5, 2019, 03:20 PM   #12
zxcvbob

Won't the plastic circle caps work if you cut them apart? Or are they just a little too tight for a #11 nipple? (I know they'll work on what might have been a #10, but it's been a few decades since I tried it) You don't have to fabricate anything.
Old October 5, 2019, 04:37 PM   #13
woodnbow

The Prime-all compound would probably work a lot better and enough material to Prime 2000 .22 shells cost less than 20.00
Old October 7, 2019, 09:36 AM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
Won't the plastic circle caps work if you cut them apart? Or are they just a little too tight for a #11 nipple? (I know they'll work on what might have been a #10, but it's been a few decades since I tried it) You don't have to fabricate anything.
Not by themselves, they're too weak. I don't know about the circle caps but the strip caps can be put on a #11 nipple. I would think they were the same thing once cut apart. You can add a couple of spots from roll caps. I never got 100% ignition of the main charge tho.
Old October 7, 2019, 10:23 AM   #15
zxcvbob

Quote:
Not by themselves, they're too weak. I don't know about the circle caps but the strip caps can be put on a #11 nipple. I would think they were the same thing once cut apart. You can add a couple of spots from roll caps. I never got 100% ignition of the main charge tho.
They must have watered them down (Sad!) since last I tried it. They seemed about as loud as real Remington percussion caps, and much louder than roll caps. I was using them in a big single-shot pistol; probably with real FFF black powder.
Old October 7, 2019, 03:36 PM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
They must have watered them down (Sad!) since last I tried it. They seemed about as loud as real Remington percussion caps, and much louder than roll caps. I was using them in a big single-shot pistol; probably with real FFF black powder.
Probably or it could have been the brand. Even with added spots from German roll caps I never got 100% reliable ignition with Swiss 3F.
Old October 7, 2019, 08:02 PM   #17
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Percussion Caps~ How's about a product that will interest those who prefer the DIY way i.e.> (priming mixture)

https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...iming-compound