The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 4, 2019, 03:54 PM   #1
JohnB1987

Should I wait to buy suppressor if moving across state lines in a few months?

I'm looking to purchase my first suppressor, but will be moving from Tennessee to Nevada in 5 months, which seems would be longer than the NFA wait period.

I'd obviously like to get the waiting period started asap, but am not sure if moving just complicates things too much and if I'd be better off just waiting until after I move. I have no clue what the process would be to change my address once the process had started.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Edit: I had been planning to just purchase it as an individual (no trust), but also open to hearing if/why a trust is the way to go.
Old February 4, 2019, 04:00 PM   #2
JERRYS.

wait until after you move.
Old February 4, 2019, 04:01 PM   #3
Mobuck

Yes, unless you're buying from Silencer Shop. Even then, you may end up starting over so again, yes (probably).
Old February 4, 2019, 04:07 PM   #4
JohnB1987

Thanks for the replies.

That seemed to be what I gathered from looking into it, but was of course hoping that wasn't the case.
Old February 5, 2019, 05:30 PM   #5
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1987 View Post
I'm looking to purchase my first suppressor, but will be moving from Tennessee to Nevada in 5 months, which seems would be longer than the NFA wait period.

I'd obviously like to get the waiting period started asap, but am not sure if moving just complicates things too much and if I'd be better off just waiting until after I move. I have no clue what the process would be to change my address once the process had started.
A dealer can’t transfer an NFA item to anyone who lives out of state. So if you move to a new state before a tax stamp comes back, the dealer would have to cancel the Form 4 (you eventually get your $200 back), file a Form 3 to ship the NFA item to a dealer in your new state, and then you’d have to file a new Form 4 all over again from scratch with the new dealer.
Old February 8, 2019, 05:19 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Consider, what is the worst that could happen?

You might get caught in a bureaucratic loop, where someone just can't figure out that the you in Tenn that filed is also the you in Nevada, and kicks things back for reinvestigation. And in the months, (possibly years) that pass, your case might get kicked to someone else, who will, naturally, not have (or not accept) the work already done, and have to start all over, the whole process repeating until the energy death of the universe.

If you can deal with that, cool. Otherwise wait until you are well settled in your new state of residence, and then, following all state requirements (if any) THEN file for permission from the Fed.

Good Luck!
Old February 8, 2019, 08:47 AM   #7
Theohazard

44 AMP, he has no other option than to wait until he moves. If you move to a new state before a tax stamp comes back, you cannot go back to the previous state to pick up up the NFA item once the tax stamp comes back: Remember, only “long guns” (rifles and shotguns) can be transferred to an out-of-state resident; all NFA items are “other firearms” and can only be transferred to an in-state resident. See my previous post.