The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 7, 2014, 12:25 AM   #1
ZVP

Crowns?

On all my BP revolvers the muzzle crowns have been real well finished! I have 7 and only one Piettia had a burr that you could scrape up a figernail on. It only took about 10min , a Brass screw, some emeory paper and a wad of "0000" steel wool.
I hand smoothed the muzzle with the paper wrapped around the screwhead, being sure to wobble the screw in order to create a welldished surface.
I tested the edge several times and actually I overkilled the job, going over and over it. I then just pressed my thumb and some emory paper all cross the mezzle end to add uniformity to the shiney edge and finished it off with the steel wool, shiney and bright,
Truthfully, the revolver shot well from the start but that burr on the edge just gave me the willies! I pictured a piece of led shaving off.
Accuracy is pretty good on this Police model , limited more by the skimpy front sight than a metal burr.
The proper way would be to use a crowning tool giving (I think) an 11 degree angle but the hand method gives a lot of satisfaction to the owner!
It's sure neat to see the rifling jetting from the edge of the muzzle!
How do you guys creating "Avenging Angles" do the muzzles?
ZVP
Old November 7, 2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Pahoo

Ball bearing

Been a long time but I have used a ball bearing and fine to extra fine, emery cloth. The ball bearing is very precise and I try to keep the pressure, centered with the bore. It works and surprisingly well. Against my advice, a buddy of mine shortened the barrel on a .22 Buntline and did his crown the same way and again, the results were very good or at least by my measure. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 7, 2014, 11:18 AM   #3
sltm1

I use the hand held shell reamer found in most reloading kits, it looks like a little rocketship...that and a bunch of patience
Old November 7, 2014, 11:48 AM   #4
wogpotter

A kid's glass marble & valve grinding compound works wonders for me.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 12, 2014, 12:20 AM   #5
ZVP

All sound like good "Hand" methods!
Thanks for the tips on how to do it!