The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2013, 10:35 AM   #1
ScottRiqui

Where do you think primers/powder will reappear first?

I don't need any components *right now*, but as soon as the availability gets better, I'll want to replenish my stocks.

I don't really want to spend the time running from store to store tracking down primers and powder one brick or one pound at a time. I don't mind ordering online and paying the HAZMAT fee, as long as I can spread the cost out over a fairly large order.

Right now, I'm leaning toward just waiting until Powder Valley is taking backorders again, putting in an order and figuring it'll show up when it shows up.

Do you guys think there will be any place else where components will start to show up in quantity before PV?
Old February 24, 2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

Powder Valley is getting deliveries now. I will shortly be receiving a back order I placed back when they still were taking back orders. They do show some powders in stock again. It was more last month. I think it may still be a month or possibly two before they start showing primers in stock again. They have a lot of back orders to still fill. I'm looking for Powder Valley to be one of the first places on line to start showing primers and more powder to be in stock again.

I think it is probably difficult for most companies providing reloading components right now. The orders placed in the past 2 to 3 months has been probably equal to what is normally place in a year or more under normal times. Many people remember what it was like just 4 years ago. Re-loaders now want to have enough on hand to keep loading and shooting for a year or two. This puts a big strain on the manufactures to meet the demand. They know once they fill all those orders the demand will probably return to normal levels. Who wants to hire more people just to lay them off again in about a year later or less? Buying new equipment now, just to see it sit idle a few months after it is finally running, is another worry. With these concerns it is probably in the best interest of the manufactures to just wait a year or two to see if demand is really going to be there to justify expansion. It may not be good for us consumers right now. It has got to be worse for the manufactures and trying to decide what to do now and in the future.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Shootest

The last shortage Wideners was the first to restock primers. Don’t know if it was because they had less backorders or what, or if it will be the same this time.

http://www.wideners.com/
Old February 24, 2013, 11:46 AM   #4
lamarw

I received my order of 6,000 Winchester small pistol primers last Wedneday from Powder Valley. Like the other poster stated, I placed my order back in January when they were back ordered but while Powder Valley was still taking orders.

I was able to get my large and small pistol primers from them under the old pricing at $26.00 per thousand (received my large pistol primers back in January while they were still in stock). The new price is $28.00 per thousand.

If I were you and others, I would keep checking the Powder Valley web site. I should be good for about six months in regards to powder and primers.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If you're ordering any significant quantities at all, like more than a couple pounds powder and 1,000 primers, Powder Valley is the place to get them. They're also a HUGE quantity reseller and I assume they'll get priority resupply.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Mike40-11

Powder Valley, Widener's, and Graf's are my go to online powder and primer suppliers. I'm good for a fair bit but will keep an eye on them once availability is back to normal.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Cheap 870

N.E. Ohio isn't doing bad on supply's.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:33 PM   #8
iraiam

I'm just saving money for large orders online when components become available. I don't need anything but i am running low on several powders.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old February 24, 2013, 12:37 PM   #9
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I'm just saving money for large orders online when components become available. I don't need anything but i am running low on several powders.
That's where I am too. Between components and loaded ammo, I've got enough to shoot 1200-1500 rounds of each caliber I use. That's about a six-month supply for me, and I could always slow down since I'm just shooting recreationally.

So, my need isn't great enough that I'm going to expend much effort hunting stuff down right now, but I wanted to know where to look first for bulk availability in a few months. Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll look for PV to start accepting backorders again, and I'll keep an eye on Graf's and Widener's as well.
Old February 24, 2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Boomer58cal

you can't prevent war without preparing for it.

It's not so much the gun shops aren't getting ammo and powder in. It's what little they do get in is gone as fast as they put it on the shelf. The local bi-mart in town had so many people waiting at the door on shipment day they started delivering shipments on random days. Sometimes they only let you buy one box at a time to spread the wealth so to speak.This isn't going to stop until the government backs off our right. People that for years have called preppers crazy have suddenly changed their song. You know the words... I can't find any ammo and I feel kind of dumb!!! I'd rather be the guy that was prepared for something that never happened than the guy prepared for nothing at all.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 24, 2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Conspiracies
Old February 24, 2013, 10:02 PM   #11
mohr308

Powder is becoming much more available in buffalo NY. Primers, nope.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:32 PM   #12
Friar Whently

Quote:
N.E. Ohio isn't doing bad on supply's.
Would you be so kind as to elaborate on where? I'm in the Cleveland area and I haven't seen primers in the past 1-2 months.

You can PM me if you want...