The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 27, 2010, 11:18 AM   #26
Fingers McGee

And here are a few of mine:

They all get lubed wads (not the expensive Cabelas or Wonder Wads) and bore butter on the arbor to keep them spinning free. Nipples get removed and cleaned with Birchwood Casey BP Solvent after every match. Balistol is used to clean and lubricate them the rest of the revolver. A little straight Balistol is sprayed on the nipple threads to keep them from freezing up.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; November 27, 2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old November 27, 2010, 12:20 PM   #27
mrappe

Quote:
My only problem with Crisco is it gets runny in summer heat but then so does Bore Butter. I mix mine with beeswax
I just started to mix mine yesterday with beeswax. What ratio do you use?
Old November 27, 2010, 01:34 PM   #28
Doc Hoy

Well I don't use beeswax but.....

...I do use the wax rings from under toilets. They used to be high in beeswax but no more. Now it is probably a parafin base material. It works for me and I mix it about half and half with Crisco. It stays were I put it even on hot day on a hot revolver.

It cleans up easy and does not appear to be harming the pistols.

I lube the bullets in it and smear it over the chambers.
Old November 27, 2010, 01:39 PM   #29
4V50 Gary
Staff

Fingers McGee, you've got quite a collection of cap 'n balls. I've only three Ruger Old Armies to my name (7 1/2 blue w/adj sights, 7 1/2 stainless w/adj sights and 5" SS fixed sight).
Old November 27, 2010, 02:04 PM   #30
Hawg

Quote:
I just started to mix mine yesterday with beeswax. What ratio do you use?
It varies with the temp. I really don't measure anything but usually around 60/40.
Old November 27, 2010, 03:58 PM   #31
xMINORxTHREATx

a box of 50 is $20 and some change from the same website. Everywhere else its about $40 a box. That website is very fair priced on their stuff. The store is about four minutes from my house too. =]
Old November 28, 2010, 07:36 PM   #32
Gatofeo

I much prefer greased, felt wads between the ball and powder, instead of grease over the ball. The wads are more easily carried and used. The grease is often messy to apply (a Popsicle stick helps).
A mix of beeswax and lard (unsalted, please) makes a good lubricant, or any kind of animal tallow. I can't give proportions because it's been years since I made it. I seem to recall I made it about 4 parts melted beeswax to 1 part lard.
The late gun writer Elmer Keith, who learned to load cap and ball sixguns from Civil War veterans, suggested a 50-50 mix of (unspecified) tallow and beeswax.
For the past 10 years or more I've been using the lubricant recipe named after me: Gatofeo No. 1 Lubricant. You'll find the recipe in my post, "So you want a cap and ball revolver" in the sticky section.
It's a mix of mutton tallow, beeswax and canning paraffin. I haven't found anything better, but you MUST use the specified ingredients. Substituting anything else results in an inferior lubricant.
Anymore, the only time I put grease over a ball is when I'm firing maximum charges and there is no space for a wad, or sometimes when it's so blamed hot and dry here in the Utah desert that the felt wad won't keep fouling soft.
Both of the above are exceptions, not my typical shooting day.
Old November 28, 2010, 08:41 PM   #33
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary
Fingers McGee, you've got quite a collection of cap 'n balls. I've only three Ruger Old Armies to my name (7 1/2 blue w/adj sights, 7 1/2 stainless w/adj sights and 5" SS fixed sight).
Thanks Gary. It's only a small portion. Your three ROAs are a good start on a collection.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce