The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 7, 2018, 08:36 PM   #1
wild cat mccane

Pros, a PSA barrel comparison? Thank you!

Hi,

Melonite vs not. MBUS sights vs nickle baron bcg. Chrome-Moly Vanadium vs 4150V (same?).

Which would you get? Which is better? Which is the better deal?
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...516447488.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...sight-set.html

Thank you!
Old June 7, 2018, 09:07 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

The one with NIB BCG is their newest design, including the newest rail iteration with the rail section up front but rounded for most of it - similar to the Aero Atlas S One.

Barrels have the same finish. Melonite and Nitride are the same thing.

I would get that one... which is good, because the one with the MBUS is sold out.

I have the Nitride 10.5" with 12" slant rail and flash can... it's been a fantastic upper.

Old June 7, 2018, 10:09 PM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

M4s and M16s use 4150 CMV steel that meets MIL-B-11595E. Something that is just labeled 4150 or CMV may or may not meet that standard; but the steel is going to be similar.

Likewise, Carpenter 158 steel is the spec for the bolt. The NiB BCG uses 9310 steel, which is similar but different.

Melonite is a specific type of nitriding, etc.

Basically, you’d need someone with some specific expertise in metallurgy to explain how those are different. For practical use, I don’t think many people are going to notice.
Old June 7, 2018, 11:06 PM   #4
kymasabe

I've been very happy with most of my PSA stuff. I just got this upper from them, is pretty light, my only complaint is the cut outs/holes in the handguard are sharp, not really comfortable to hold onto, considering getting a Magpul AFG.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...165448509.html
Old June 8, 2018, 09:22 AM   #5
wild cat mccane

Both back in stock.

Is the nickle boron bcg worth having to buy the MBUS sights anyway for about the same amount of money for the other?

Any quality differences? 13 vs 15 rail preferred?
Old June 8, 2018, 11:33 AM   #6
kymasabe

I really like my NiB bcg. Super easy to clean. In all honesty though, my black nitride one is almost as easy. My phosphate one requires more time and effort. You can find Magoul MBUS sets on eBay for $60 btw.
Old June 8, 2018, 01:17 PM   #7
riffraff

At some point i may buy something PSA, is always cheaper than aero - which ive bought a bunch from lately, and for no reason i can cite just strikes me as likely better quality..

Last thing ive bought is their lightweight pencil barrel and s-one guard upper, ran me 365 on sale without the ch and bcg. Wanted a light short range setup.

I buy the shortest guard that is available on the upper and if i was custom building exactlty how i wanted it id cover the gas tube and nothing more, assuming its a rifle to be shoulder fired. I only need 8 inches of guard how i hold a rifle, no sense adding weight. Some other guy may want to hold a rifle near the muzzle and has a use for a long guard..

Something to bear in mind. If you are gonna run a sight mounted to the guard make sure its not one that can shift around. Aero enhanced uppers mitigate that problem since the guard bolts to the reciever in 8 places, makes it nearly one piece.
Old June 11, 2018, 09:28 PM   #8
bfoosh006

@kymasabe

If you have larger hands.. consider the BCM KAG... fits like a glove with my hands.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMG...g-mcmr-blk.htm

Available in FDE as well.
Old June 11, 2018, 09:31 PM   #9
bfoosh006

For the OP.. I would buy the first linked one.

I prefer the extra picatinny rail. And Nitrated BCG.
Old June 12, 2018, 04:45 PM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
At some point i may buy something PSA, is always cheaper than aero - which ive bought a bunch from lately, and for no reason i can cite just strikes me as likely better quality..
FYI - some PSA receivers have been manufactured by Aero. I own at least one (has AP in the serial #).
Old June 12, 2018, 10:18 PM   #11
riffraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
FYI - some PSA receivers have been manufactured by Aero. I own at least one (has AP in the serial #).
That is my understanding too, however I do not believe you are getting a BA barrel with PSA. Then with the Aero enhanced stuff I believe that only comes with Aero's name on it, and it's nice stuff.

Their enhanced lower takes all the mil spec stuff, but has a tensioner that locks against upper, basically to eliminate any play - also a couple other little twists that do not detract from taking mil spec parts, of other things a nicely formed solid trigger guard.

The enhanced uppers are a monolithic handguard mount, threaded in 8 places to secure the guard, likely much more securely than the typical free float guard. I've got one and they are very nice - anything else I get is probably going to be based on that upper/guard combo.

Also have one of their Atlas s-one guards (real slim, real light) w/ a pencil barrel upper. That is just a mil spec upper, typical free float guard. Not quite sold on it it. Initially when looking it over, quality/fit/finish all great, but for whatever reason I didn't "like" it. Then when I shot it - oh hell yes I love it and it does the job, extremely light and easy handling, a dream for blasting around close range.. Am not quite sold on whether I'd rather take a few more ounces and have the (not ultra light & slim) enhanced upper & guard with the same pencil barrel though.
Old June 12, 2018, 10:25 PM   #12
wild cat mccane

What does it mean when they list one barrel steel as 4150V
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...sight-set.html
and another as Chrome Moly vanadium
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...165448551.html

???

Is "Chrome Moly vanadium" just a way of saying 4140?
Old June 12, 2018, 11:13 PM   #13
Uncle Malice

Both 4150 and 4140 are CMV steels... It COULD mean it was 4140, but chances are it's the same steel between the two.
Old July 11, 2018, 07:08 AM   #14
wild cat mccane

Since learned a lot about PSA sourcing.

Toolcraft makes their bolts, non KAK braces are all SB with PSA logos stamped, Anderson makes the "classic" lower, Midwest and Areo take the uppers...
Old July 11, 2018, 12:20 PM   #15
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Since learned a lot about PSA sourcing.

Toolcraft makes their bolts, non KAK braces are all SB with PSA logos stamped, Anderson makes the "classic" lower, Midwest and Areo take the uppers...
Toolcraft makes about 80% of the "OEM" bcg's out there, (says Toolcrafts customer service dept.).
Old July 18, 2018, 04:51 PM   #16
bfoosh006

DC Machine makes most of the PSA barrels ( PSA owns them ) except for the FN barrels.
DC Machine will soon be churning out a massive amount of barrels... and supplies many of AR vendors.

And PSA now makes a bunch of their own parts, bolts, receivers, charging handles, A2 flash hiders... seriously, the list is to long to write out.

Look at the videos I made during the PSA tour... I freely admit I am NOT good at reporting / video'ing etc... BUT... there is a lot to be seen.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0C...sort=dd&view=0