The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 5, 2018, 08:22 AM   #76
stagpanther

Quote:
Barrel life is in the 6K range, yes some have been shot out already.
I'm not a comp shooter--but from what I've read isn't 6K barrel life rather exceptional for a comp gun? Seems to me most shooters rotate their barrels out well before that.
Old May 5, 2018, 08:57 AM   #77
tobnpr

^^^
6k is certainly getting your $$ worth out of any barrel...

Now, if someone were to neck it down to .177...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old May 5, 2018, 09:48 AM   #78
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I'm not a comp shooter--but from what I've read isn't 6K barrel life rather exceptional for a comp gun? Seems to me most shooters rotate their barrels out well before that.
I change my .223 AR 3Gun barrels at about 10-12K, my high power barrels at about 8K and my match 6.5mm barrels at about 2.5K (or set-back and re-chamber, re-crown). Some top PRS guys with 6mms are changing barrels at 1K to 1.5K

For a $300 to $500 AR barrel in the 224V, I will be very satisfied with 6K.
Old May 5, 2018, 01:36 PM   #79
ed308

Harrison at ARP spent years developing the optimal chamber/throat cut for the 6.8spc--I wonder if he will do the same for the valk--the limitation seems very similar to the original 6.8spc?

Shoulda waited and bought the ARP, I guess: ) No worries, I'll figure something out.

I have no doubts that you'll find a load it likes. But maybe not with the heavy bullets. Always a crap shoot being early in the game with a new cartridge.
Old May 5, 2018, 03:03 PM   #80
stagpanther

Quote:
I have no doubts that you'll find a load it likes. But maybe not with the heavy bullets. Always a crap shoot being early in the game with a new cartridge.
That's the gospel truth--and sometimes--part of the fun! I'm wondering if berger secant ogive is worth a close look--they seem to have started the whole "needle nose" bullet profile thing.
Old May 5, 2018, 05:24 PM   #81
ed308

Like you say.... I screw things up--so you don't have to.
Old May 5, 2018, 05:30 PM   #82
stagpanther

Got a question about the PSA adjustable block--a bit unusual in that it appears to have adjustment screws on both the side and front of the block--that has me a bit flummoxed since it's usually one or the other. Any advice on how to set? Blocks can differ in their methodology--but usually they have a default setting for "wide open" and then 1/4 or 1/2 turn CW or CCW to dial down the gas pressure to tube. Do you know what the setting is for the PSA? (my assembled upper came with no instructions/manual).
Old May 5, 2018, 05:57 PM   #83
CarJunkieLS1

One screw is the adjustment to turn gas up or down the other screw is a set screw to keep the other screw from moving. Don't quote me on this but my gas block is 1 and 1/4 turn in from where it was set from PSA. Give me til later tonight and I can tell you where it's set at from full close.
Old May 5, 2018, 06:43 PM   #84
stagpanther

I just checked it out--good grief--different diameter hex heads for the adjuster screw and the lock screw--gotta carry two hexes with you from the looks of it.

Just noticed on PSA's site it's a wilson combat block--ah--never used one before. I thought those guys knew what they were doing?

OR not--WC's doesn't have a side screw from what I can see on their site--hmmm--a mystery gas block! I can't seem to find any block that matches PSA's

Last edited by stagpanther; May 5, 2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old May 5, 2018, 08:19 PM   #85
stagpanther

Well, here's my first batch of handloads, the 75 gr a maxes driven by PP 2000MR. I'll finish breaking in the barrel and adjusting the gas block with the remaining 90 gr fusions I have--then the fun begins.

I've always admired the 6.8spc base design as one of the most successful AR hybrids IMO in terms of extra punch but in a design that is very high reliability in cycling and firing.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0062.JPG (172.8 KB, 156 views)
Old May 5, 2018, 09:26 PM   #86
CarJunkieLS1

I'm assuming PSA used the same adjustable block on my upper as they did on yours so. The silver screw on the side is your gas adjustment and the screw on the end is your set screw.

My gas block is set at 3 1/2 turns from all the way in.
Old May 5, 2018, 09:34 PM   #87
stagpanther

Quote:
I'm assuming PSA used the same adjustable block on my upper as they did on yours so. The silver screw on the side is your gas adjustment and the screw on the end is your set screw.

My gas block is set at 3 1/2 turns from all the way in.
Thanks for that--the silver screw was sticking out well clear of the side of the block and the bigger screw in the front wasn't doing any holding. should be an easy fix though needing two hexes to adjust is a PITA.
Old May 6, 2018, 01:15 PM   #88
stagpanther

Went out for my first round of load tests this morning--and as to be expected ran into several problems right off the bat.

Although he forecast said not rain til afternoon, it started lightly raining right after I got set up. I also hauled the labradar out and set it up--it had the first real failure from extended use--the connector to the external battery pack, because it is under pressure from the rubber flap that covers it on the unit--had distorted to the point that it will fall out unexpectedly--shutting the unit off and missing some shots occasionally. I had to tape it to the unit to hold it and keep the power up.

The adjustable gas block took far more shots for me to find the failure point for the bolt to cycle properly than I thought it would with the adjustment screw screwed most of the way in--ate up about 20 rounds before I found it. My impression is that given the port size, barrel length and gas system length--the gas impulse pressure to the carrier ramps up very fast in this particular set-up. I'm guessing a better way to go would be with a 22" or longer barrel with maybe an xl rifle gas system.

My very first tests with the amaxes and PP2000MR were a mixed bag--the performance in terms of velocity attained was very close to what sierra's published data for their 77 gr matchkings is--and those I believe are based on a 24" barrel. As I anticipated, by getting the bullet out enough to 2.28 COL I was able to just kiss 3000 fps--just about equaling the published energy delivered of Federal's 90gr fusion cartridge while significantly exceeding it's velocity--the federal only got an average of 2580 fps in my gun.

Grouping was mediocre, but this I put mostly on me--I was pulling every shot to some degree--try as I might I simply could not stop getting a bit of a roll or pitch of the gun on the bag. I'm positive the groups will tighten up when I get that under control (hopefully). Most groups were hovering at MOA +/-; here's one of the better ones. I'll probably retest this whole ladder.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75amax2000MR.jpg (102.7 KB, 136 views)
Old May 6, 2018, 02:25 PM   #89
ed308

I also hauled the labradar out and set it up--it had the first real failure from extended use--the connector to the external battery pack, because it is under pressure from the rubber flap that covers it on the unit--had distorted to the point that it will fall out unexpectedly--shutting the unit off and missing some shots occasionally. I had to tape it to the unit to hold it and keep the power up.

That USB connector is the weak point on the Labradar IMO. I use a different USB cable than the one that can with my Labradar.
Old May 6, 2018, 06:48 PM   #90
stagpanther

On the unit end--it appears to use the same connector that android phones use--which also have issues with charging after a while. It's too bad the labradar doesn't use something akin to a phono jack--as some other instruments do.
Old May 6, 2018, 09:32 PM   #91
ed308

It is. One in the same. I had problems with mine from the beginning. Try a light weight USB cable. The one that came with my Labradar was too heavy and stiff.
Old May 7, 2018, 04:53 AM   #92
stagpanther

I'll see if I can rig something up--the labradar has become a critical component in my load development.
Old May 7, 2018, 05:04 AM   #93
stagpanther

I was resting and musing about the 224 valk cartridge this morning--when you look at the basic design of the cartridge you can pretty much tell it's a winner and will likely gain traction.

The biggest problem at this very moment, in my opinion, is the relative lack of bullets that are made that are a good fit for what the valk can do. Most of the bullet designs are either for conventional 5.56 AR's or bolt guns with less restrictive COL or palma type shooting. The design is just dieing for a manufacturer to come out with a bullet that really takes advantage of the valk. Well, hornady just heeded the call and rolled out it's own 88gr eld match cartridge--though I'm a bit miffed they aren't offering the bullets solo yet. I still think a bit more freebore could possibly result in even bigger bullets with better performance, though that's just speculation.
Old May 7, 2018, 07:09 AM   #94
gshayd

Black Hole had a sale which resulted in $60.00 off a 18" .224 Valkyrie Barrel and PSA had a sale on full auto BCGs for $69.99. I will eventually get one put together.
Old May 7, 2018, 07:35 AM   #95
stagpanther

I used to be a big fan of BHW--now Colombia, I think--and have many of their barrels on many builds. I lean towards ARP now, mostly cause they remind of what BHW used to be before they "hit the big time." McGowen did a superb job of making me a one-off made-to-order barrel at a great price--I'll be looking to do more business with them as well. 18" seems a bit short for the valk and maybe cuts back on it's performance I would think.
Old May 7, 2018, 09:31 AM   #96
TrueBlue711

Finally got my barrel (24" CMMG barrel) and took the finished rifle out for it's maiden voyage...fairly disappointed. I brought out some 75 gr American Eagle ammo and 90 gr Sierra Gold Medal Match (SGMM). Used the American Eagle first to get it on paper and then moved to SGMM to zero the scope in. Got the American Eagle grouping around a 2 - 3 MOA around the bullseye. Not bad. What I would expect for cheaper ammo. What I didn't expect was when I put in the SGMM, it wasn't even hitting the target. Took me a min to finally realize that it was hitting about 10" below the target. Really?!? There's THAT big of a difference between those two loads at only 100 yds? After finally getting the scope adjusted to the SGMM, it was showing about a 2 MOA groups. Not happy with the results, but will keep shooting. Maybe I had an off day. Right now, I'm chalking it up to it being a brand new barrel. Maybe needs a break in period. I don't know.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:16 AM   #97
stagpanther

Quote:
Got the American Eagle grouping around a 2 - 3 MOA around the bullseye. Not bad. What I would expect for cheaper ammo. What I didn't expect was when I put in the SGMM, it wasn't even hitting the target. Took me a min to finally realize that it was hitting about 10" below the target.
I seriously doubt the ammo alone could make that much of difference--might be something else going on
Old May 7, 2018, 10:54 AM   #98
TrueBlue711

Quote:
I seriously doubt the ammo alone could make that much of difference--might be something else going on
I agree, I've never seen this much difference between two different loads of the same caliber. But each load is grouping, so I don't think it's the scope. I'll just keep trying trial and error.
Old May 7, 2018, 06:32 PM   #99
ed308

That's a big difference. I'd look at the scope, mount and barrel first to make sure all are torqued properly.
Old May 7, 2018, 07:43 PM   #100
stagpanther

I'm going to try the 95gr SMK's next--they look like they'll encroach on the case capacity somewhat, but what he heck--I'm curious. : )