The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 29, 2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Super Sneaky Steve

Blackhawk Bisley sights

So, I've got the 7.5" Bisley Blackhawk.

I've shot a lot of loads through it the other day and with the rear sight jacked all the way up it's still shooting a little low.

Has anyone has anyone had to file down the very tall front sight on this model?

I just thought I'd ask before I do this operation.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Ozzieman

I have a 45 colt Blackhawk with the ACP conversion cylinder I bought new in the early 80’s with the same problem. I had a gun smith friend take mine down so that the rear sights were middle of the adjustment. I had him do the work so that it had the original profile and reblued so you couldn’t tell it had been done.
I have a Super Blackhawk that hit point of aim out of the box that was bought new in the 90’s and same for a 44 special new model Blackhawk I got last year.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Daggitt

You might try different size bullets. What are you shooting. I avoid filing until all other choices fail.
Old October 29, 2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Bob Wright

I always file my front sight down. I set my rear sight at about mid height then file the front until I'm sighted in.

I use a 14" mill file, and count the strokes. I file maybe fifteen strokes, then shoot a group. I keep this up until I start getting close then maybe five strokes at a time. When I'm sighted in I tough up the blade with cold blue.

Bob Wright
Old October 29, 2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Super Sneaky Steve

I shot my plinkers which are mid level loads with tightgroup and a Lee cast 255gr slug. Those printed almost right on with the rear sight all the way up (which was kinda wobbly).

Then I shot near max standard pressure loads with HS6 which were still a little low.

Then I shot my super duper rounds, which were Ruger only loads, some H110 behind a 250gr XTP.

All I have for files is your basic garage large flat file and some teenie gunsmithing ones. Not sure which will work the best.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Nathan

Call, they may have a shorter one.
Old October 30, 2012, 07:40 AM   #7
Cheap 870

I've got a 10 1/2" super blackhawk that I have to have the rear sight screwed all the way down. With 180gr. bullets it shoots high but with 300gr. bullets it's BadAss.