The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 30, 2020, 01:30 PM   #1
Prof Young

Kel Tec Sub2000

I've been hankering for another gun that shoots 9mm. Guess I should not have sold off the Berretta 92fs. American Rifleman insider newsletter today featured the Kel Tec Sub2000. Looks like it could be a lot of fun and is a very popular gun.

If you have one or have shot one I'd like to hear about it.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 1, 2020, 06:15 AM   #2
mcb66

I have one in .40 takes the Glock mag. It will be the last gun I ever get rid of. It is a phenomenal piece of work. Everyone needs one.
Old July 1, 2020, 10:07 AM   #3
jonnyc

They are OK, a very usable and practical gun. I have never really 'enjoyed' shooting them as they have a poor cheek weld and awkward feel to them.
Old July 1, 2020, 10:32 AM   #4
TBM900

Find yourself a CX4 Storm
By far the best < $1000 9mm carbine out there today IMO
A CX4 paired with a 92FS or PX4 makes for an outstanding package
Personal defense and loads of fun
Old July 1, 2020, 11:13 AM   #5
Mustang Jon

I have the 40 S&W Glock version and it eats everything including my powder coated lead hand loads. The 9mm version is also an awesome weapon. Very fun to shoot and folds and stows in a smallish backpack very easily. Just took it to the range Monday and it ran without a hiccup. I forget how much I like this gun until the next range day. Also sits by the bedside with the Mossberg 500.
Old July 2, 2020, 10:41 PM   #6
cpt-t

Prof Young: My Son and I have 3 Kel Tec Sub2000`s. One in a 40mm & two in 9mm. Ours take the Glock Mags. We have both shot them quite a bit, and have not had any type of problems what so ever. They are really very accurate at 25yds to 50yds. And they are really fun to shoot. IMHO, all three of these little rifles make great Home Defense Gun`s.
ken
Old July 3, 2020, 10:57 AM   #7
TiredTait

I've got one in 40 s&w, it's my current trunk gun. Recoil's a bit snappy, it would bruise my shoulder after a few mags until I got the sumo extra heavy bolt handle.

It's not my favorite gun to shoot but it's a fun gun to tinker with. I made a custom mount for a red dot so I can have a dot site and still fold it. Tried to make an ammo holder, but that one failed miserably. My current project is a custom molded foam lined briefcase for it.
Old July 3, 2020, 07:20 PM   #8
44caliberkid

I have a 9mm, 2nd generation. Love it mechanically and it looks cool. The buffer tube slaps you in the face with every shot. I wrapped the tube with some foam rubber tubing and that softened the blow some. Lousy cheek weld, or not really any. Windage adjustment is by moving the front sight pin and mine doesn't adjust far enough to the right to get on center of target. Still pretty close for center mass hits. I tried a QD red dot but you have to detach it to fold it. The rail is made of soft plastic and it won't repeat zero when you reattach.
Several companies make folding sight mounts but I got into this really cheap, so I don't want to spend $100+ for a mount. It uses all Glock stick mags but it does not like the Korean made 40 round drum.
For close range defense inside 50 yards or in a house, it would be great. Also just a fun blaster.
Old July 4, 2020, 06:52 PM   #9
kenny53

I have a first gen Sub 2000 in 9mm. It takes Glock mags. I have a Glock 19 and the Kel Tec took G 17 mags. A little work with a coping saw and that was fixed. It is a fun gun and if attacked by a group of (insert threat here) it nice to 33 rounds of 9mm on hand. I believe you will enjoy it.
Old July 4, 2020, 07:00 PM   #10
Txhillbilly

I've had a Gen 2 40 S&W S2K for awhile. It's a great little carbine,but if you really want one,buy the MCARBO series out of the gate because you'll end up buying/installing every part they make into a stock Sub 2k.
Old July 4, 2020, 10:23 PM   #11
Cirdan

I have the 9mm. Good truck/bugout gun, paired with a Glock 19. Same mags as the Glock, and folds into a neat small package. Like any long gun, it's more accurate than a handgun.

I would recommend the wrap for the buffer tube. In it's natural state, it's a bit harsh. I also added a red dot.
Old July 4, 2020, 10:29 PM   #12
TruthTellers

Given how light they are and the folding capability, the Sub 2000 is the only PCC out there outside the AR's that is worth getting. Well, those and the 10mm Hi Point. Only downside is the Kel Tec triggers are very meh and the recoil is hard.
Old July 8, 2020, 09:53 PM   #13
candr44

I have the first generation sub2000 and find it a fun gun to shoot. I also like the folding feature because I can put it in a computer case or back pack and take it out to my truck without the neighbors, their kids, or visitors at their house any the wiser that I keep guns in my house. I can also store it easily in my safe.

Some things I don't like is its a pain to clean, no last shot bolt hold open, and the folding feature interferes with mounting a red dot sight. The factory sights on my rifle also suck. I modified mine by mounting a side plate with a AK47 scope mounting rail and put a quick disconnect scope mount on it.

I haven't tried this but I read that you can change the type of mag it takes by changing the mag catch. My rifle takes Smith and Wesson mags but could take Beretta mags if I change the mag catch.
Old July 9, 2020, 11:18 PM   #14
Dred

Love mine. It's a tinkerers dream. Plenty of options to built it into a $1k blaster. Check out MCARBO, Performance Services, Red Lion, Midwest Industries and Tacticool to make it what you want it to be.

Mine is built to punch a hole 75 yards away within 10 seconds of touching the carry case. It's a truck gun that is meant to provide an opportunity to change a situation I had to escape.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk
Old November 5, 2020, 03:10 PM   #15
Sigkid79

Picked on up yesterday after considering the Ruger pc carbine 9mm. The Kel Tec was much lighter than the ruger and easier to take down. Not to mention, it was a few hundred dollars cheaper.

I was surprised at how accurate it was to of the box. Kind of a PITA to use the sights with full sized ear protection as you have to hold it quite high and close to your face but that’s an easy fix.

Overall I’m very happy with my purchase. Put 100 rounds through her yesterday and not one hiccup.
Old November 5, 2020, 03:25 PM   #16
mellow_c

I love the 2nd gen 9mm with glock mags. Same 1st gen gun gave me endless stove pipes no matter what I did and how many times customer service got their hands on it.

I think you would be very happy with a 2nd gen. They are reliable, simple, practical and very affordable. Nothing else really compares to it. It’s in its own category.
Old November 6, 2020, 12:30 AM   #17
Scorch

A little food for thought:
As a gunsmith, I see a lot of guns that need attention. I see a lot of "good" guns, a lot of "problem" guns, and a few odd birds. I know there are a lot of Sub 2000s out there. I see people shooting them at the range, a lot of people have them in their cars, but I see very few of them in for repairs. Now, I know, all the SIG and Springfield guys tell me how great their guns are, but I see a lot of them cross my bench. A lot of Glocks, HKs, FNs, but very few KelTecs. I am not a fan of KelTecs personally, but they do seem to not require the attention of the gunsmith very often.
Old November 6, 2020, 02:43 AM   #18
TruthTellers

The recoil is pretty stiff, so I advise getting a good recoil pad. IDK if the gen 2's trigger is improved, but it's it's the same as the gen 1, I would definitely look at upgrading that.
Old November 6, 2020, 08:02 AM   #19
Sigkid79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
The recoil is pretty stiff, so I advise getting a good recoil pad. IDK if the gen 2's trigger is improved, but it's it's the same as the gen 1, I would definitely look at upgrading that.
I heard about this company called Mcarbo that specializes in upgrades for Kel Tec sub2k’s amongst other firearms. After making my purchase I googled the company. Low and behold, their store is only 25 minutes from my house. Guess I lucked out. Tons of mods for very reasonable prices.
Old November 6, 2020, 02:55 PM   #20
Bill DeShivs

I have a first generation and I love it.
As far as the recoil being stiff, it's a 9mm pistol cartridge. Try shooting a 30-06 or a 7.65 Mauser!
Old November 15, 2020, 04:08 PM   #21
smee78

I always wanted the Sub 2000 that used the S&W 59 series mag model. Never could fine one for sale. A friend has one that takes Glock mags in 40cal and it is fun to shoot, he uses his as a bedside gun.
Old January 16, 2023, 10:37 PM   #22
Dred

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee78 View Post
I always wanted the Sub 2000 that used the S&W 59 series mag model. Never could fine one for sale. A friend has one that takes Glock mags in 40cal and it is fun to shoot, he uses his as a bedside gun.
Mr. @smee78 ...

Kel Tec will sell you a SW59 mag catch that will fit any non Glock S2k for &lt; $20.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Old February 5, 2023, 08:07 PM   #23
Captains1911

I owned 2 and sold them both. Just couldn’t really warm up to them, mainly because of my inability to get a red dot to work no matter how hard I tried.
Old February 5, 2023, 10:00 PM   #24
jonnyc

Go for an HP995...you won't be disappointed.
Old February 6, 2023, 09:09 AM   #25
SR420

Quote:
I owned 2 and sold them both. Just couldn’t really warm up to them, mainly because of my inability to get a red dot to work no matter how hard I tried.
Ditto.

The only method I found to mount a red dot in a fashion that had me trusting it would remain zeroed meant that I could not ever fold the gun, I didn't lose money selling them - so that's a good thing.