The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 19, 2020, 04:29 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

Hogue rubber grips for Kimber K6

I just ordered a set yesterday and will do a review when I get them, but I called Hogue today and confirmed that they do wrap around the backstrap. Exactly what I and many other shooters have been waiting for! These will be great for those super hot woods loads I carry.

Here's a stock photo from their website showing what the grips look like. Only 29.95 plus shipping! Can't wait.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kimber-K6s-Revolver-357-Magnum-Hogue-Grips.jpg (40.6 KB, 1549 views)
Old June 19, 2020, 04:56 PM   #2
Blaine Leonard

I own the smaller version. It is very snappy in the hands, hope those grips do the trick for you.
Old June 19, 2020, 08:45 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Are those "soft" rubber like Pachmayr or "hard" like plastic? I had a set of the hard ones on a Blackhawk. The size and shape were ok for me, but I didn't care for the feel, or the sound.
Old June 19, 2020, 09:32 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

I haven't got them yet, but I believe they are soft rubber like all their other monogrips.
Old June 19, 2020, 09:55 PM   #5
Carmady

They have a strong resemblance to the Bantam grips for the K/L frame, except the ones for the Kimber appear to cover the backstrap, and I'd guess that's where they open for installation. Note the absence of a grip screw. I bought a 10-5 RB snub which came with them.

Here's the company installation video for K/L frame Bantam grips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXu4ri3arYI
Old June 19, 2020, 10:51 PM   #6
Jagrbomb

Man, that is a nice looking revolver
Old June 20, 2020, 06:23 AM   #7
jetinteriorguy

If they are like the ones on my GP100 they provide good cushioning at the back strap, especially where the web of your hand makes contact. Works great. Should make a world of difference in a smaller gun like this.
Old June 20, 2020, 06:33 AM   #8
Schlitz 45

I put the Kimber Control Core grips on the wife’s K6 & it’s a lot less felt recoil with 357 Mag defense loads. Before it was a bit punishing to shoot more than a few rounds but last time out she emptied a box full.
https://store.kimberamerica.com/k6s-control-core-grips
Probably made by Hogue for Kimber
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 81A11285-8D2B-46E0-A44D-88F6C0C8F94C.jpeg (293.0 KB, 19 views)
Old June 20, 2020, 09:18 AM   #9
CANIS

I put those Hogues on my DA 2" K6S. They are EXACTLY what I wanted. To me, the K6s is a belt gun so the small wood grips I had on mine were of no real utility. I have always shot the K6s well with full magnum loads, but I shoot it much better now. Control, recovery and comfort were all improved. I highly recommend them.

They do mitigate felt recoil and the gun does not shift in your hand during rapid fire.
Old June 20, 2020, 09:34 AM   #10
HighValleyRanch

Canis, are the grips slit at the back for mounting onto the gun like in Camandy's post link video?
Old June 23, 2020, 01:13 PM   #11
HighValleyRanch

So I got the Hogue wraparound grips today!
Perfect for what I wanted. They come in a nice package with instructions on how to mount. Included are two plastic pic caps to put over the stock grip position pins to fit the new Hogue grips. They fit like the other mono grips with a groove for the grip pins and it is a ONE PIECE grip, no slit on either front strap or back strap and just slides over the grip frame into place and locks securely when the grip pins find the holes. You have to use a plastic card to keep the leading (top) edge open as it forms around the rear of the frame top, but it went on smoothly and easily!

The grips are just a hair thicker than the stock rubber grips that the K6 comes with, but not too oversized. I have a medium hand so am able to get a almost three finger hold on the grips as they extend a little past the bottom of the frame.

Since the rubber is molded over a semi rigid plastic frame that contains the grip pin GROOVE, there really isn't that much material that you could remove to thin the grips down considerably although at the cheap cost, I might pick up another set to try and thin down.

I took the Kimber with the new grips down to the field to see how it feels with different loads.
Just shot 6 rounds of Armscor .357 and it felt like .38 +P. Stout, but comfortable, that I could shoot a whole range session with them. I shot some .38 reloads and it felt like .22. And then I tried a couple rounds of the hottest .357 I have, buffalo bore Outdoorsman. I didn't chronograph any loads today, but will in the future out of this Kimber, but with my LCR 1 7/8" barrel I was getting 1250 fps for 625 foot pounds ME with the 180 grain HC bullets. Now that is stout. Although it had some recoil, it was not painful at all and fairly controllable.
So these grips definitely pass the test for my K6 to function as my woods gun.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06575.JPG (177.8 KB, 979 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06579.JPG (249.4 KB, 976 views)