The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 19, 2020, 06:46 AM   #1
keithdog

Stock for AK

Hoping for a little guidance here from AK owners. I'm planning on buying my first AK in the next few months, and I am not sure which style butt stock to choose. There are many styles to choose from as you know, and I don't have the convenience of trying them all out locally. Original style, folding, telescoping, triangular, all probably have their pluses and minuses. I've been told some stocks are more difficult to line up your eyes with the sites. Here are a couple styles of butt stocks I am considering. Is there a style you would definitely not choose? Thanks for your reply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psa_3629 (1).jpg (30.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg ak-e_moekov_1.jpg (23.5 KB, 53 views)
Old June 19, 2020, 07:36 AM   #2
Chipperman

Personally I find underfolders to be uncomfortable. All the others are fine for me. The two you posted are good to go.
Old June 19, 2020, 08:15 AM   #3
Skans

I much prefer the 2nd stock pictured. One of the things I like about the AK over the AR is that you can have a folding stock. Might as well take advantage of that; besides the second stock just looks better.

Whenever people put AR stocks on their AK's, it reminds me of a cross-dressing man.
Old June 19, 2020, 05:38 PM   #4
keithdog

Thanks for that in put Chipperman. To be honest, they just don't do anything for me aesthetically.
Old June 19, 2020, 05:59 PM   #5
Sharkbite

I have the Magpul ZHUKOV-S on my AK. The side folding feature makes putting it in a bag much easier and it locks up SOLID. I dont care about the telescoping ability, as i run it as short as it will go.

In combo with a Ulti-mac front rail scope mount the stock puts my eye at exactly the right height.

I think its a winner. If i get another AK, it will have the same Magpul stock.
Old June 19, 2020, 06:53 PM   #6
44caliberkid

While it seems kind of expensive for what it is, I have an Ace stock on mine and really like it. It doesn't fold or telescope, but it bolts up solid, feels strong and length of pull is nice.
Old June 19, 2020, 08:14 PM   #7
Nodak1858

Quote:
Whenever people put AR stocks on their AK's, it reminds me of a cross-dressing man.
Haha I like that I'll have to remember it. But I'll be honest I have one I put an adapter and added a collapsible AR stock. I am not really liking it, the cheek weld is too low. I prefer the good old wood commie stuff, what they were made for.
Old June 20, 2020, 08:37 AM   #8
keithdog

Thanks Sharkbite. I was wondering about the relationship between the stocks and the front rail scope mounts.
Old June 20, 2020, 08:42 AM   #9
keithdog

Interesting Nodak. My son was telling me he had heard others complain about the AR style collapsible feature as in the first photo for the same reason.
Old June 20, 2020, 08:49 AM   #10
highpower3006

I am one of those that find an AR stock on a AK to be somewhat non sequitur and I prefer the original stocks. I have pared down my hoard a bit but at one time I had 14 AK's. If the length is pull is too short, I just put a slip on pad on and use it that way. In fact, I generally have no issue with the original length of pull and pretty much leave my rifles as issued. YMMV
Old June 20, 2020, 09:17 AM   #11
jetinteriorguy

Hey Nodak, I’m an old Nodaker too. Lived in Minot most of my life but moved to Northern Virginia 18 years ago. I’ve got my old Norinco MAC 90 restored to original AK stock, just looks like it should. But to be honest, the best fitting most comfortable stock I’ve had is the original thumbhole MAC stock, even though it’s butt ugly. I did grind/sand the thumbhole handgrip to fit much better and be comfortable. If I ever had to grab and go I’d put the original stock on and not sweat it, durability wise and ergo wise it works.
Old June 20, 2020, 06:05 PM   #12
Nodak1858

Quote:
I’ve got my old Norinco MAC 90 restored to original AK stock, just looks like it should. But to be honest, the best fitting most comfortable stock I’ve had is the original thumbhole MAC stock, even though it’s butt ugly.
Funny, I did the exact same thing, still have the thumb hole stock in the basement somewhere. I like the looks of the standard stock but that thumb hole stock felt good in the hand. Minot, guessing worked on the base? Funny how many guys I see used to be stationed in Minot, never realized how many cycled through there. Most had a good time until the winter hit
Old June 20, 2020, 10:33 PM   #13
50 shooter

I put an ATI Strike Force stock on my AK, definitely a better looking stock then the wood. Just comes down to what you like and how you want your AK to look.
No time for rearranging.
Old June 21, 2020, 01:44 PM   #14
Erno86

I'm satisfied with the performance of my Viltor AK collapsible stock, that I run on my Krebs Custom KTR-03S, Saiga AK.

--- George Orwell
Old June 23, 2020, 02:01 PM   #15
Fishbed77

I've never owned an AK with an AR buffer tube, so I can't speak to that.

I do own one with a Magpul ZHUKOV-S. It does feel decent and makes for more compact transportation. While the folding mechanism does lock up pretty tightly, the plastic hinge does not instill a lot of confidence.

Frankly, the best AK stock I've encountered for a standard rear trunnion is the fixed polymer Warsaw-length AKM stock. It feels right on the gun, puts your cheek at the right place for irons, and is extremely robust.

I have this one on my 7.62x39mm Saiga. Don't think I could ask for much better:

https://www.k-var.com/buttstock-asse...th-arsenal-inc
Old June 23, 2020, 09:04 PM   #16
keithdog

Interesting. Thank you.
Old June 24, 2020, 12:16 AM   #17
bamaranger

com-bloc

I worked over an old MISR and thought a collapsible AR type stock would be the thing.......'till I shot it. To get a proper sight picture w/ irons, I had to raise my cheek off the stock tube. With no proper cheek weld, the tube would bounce up in recoil and smack me enough to bruise. Obtained a com-bloc stock and can live with the short LOP, and the rifle does not beat me up now when I fire it.
Old June 24, 2020, 01:23 PM   #18
TruthTellers

The only folding stock that's worth the money for AK's is the Magpul Zhukov. For fixed stocks it'd probably be another Magpul, but I don't see the point to replacing the standard stock on an AK for a non-folding stock.
Old June 26, 2020, 09:36 AM   #19
Fishbed77

Quote:
The only folding stock that's worth the money for AK's is the Magpul Zhukov.
I have to disagree. There are other options for standard trunnion AKs that are much more robust, but they cost a bit more.

https://www.bonesteelarms.com/Galil-...tock-FS-GL.htm

The best folding AK stock hands down is the AK-74M/AK-100-series polymer folder, but you obviously have to have the correct receiver and rear trunnion for one of those.

Not hating on the Zhukov. I own one and the ergonomics are good. But they have their flaws.
Old June 27, 2020, 05:53 AM   #20
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
I have to disagree. There are other options for standard trunnion AKs that are much more robust, but they cost a bit more.

https://www.bonesteelarms.com/Galil-...tock-FS-GL.htm

The best folding AK stock hands down is the AK-74M/AK-100-series polymer folder, but you obviously have to have the correct receiver and rear trunnion for one of those.

Not hating on the Zhukov. I own one and the ergonomics are good. But they have their flaws.
Robust, sure cuz it's metal, but that's not to say the Zhukov isn't well built. I say it's the only folder worth the money because it's not only durable, it's great for shooting. Wire stocks are terrible, the most uncomfortable cheek weld ever devised.
Old June 28, 2020, 05:33 PM   #21
Ignition Override

Only wood appeals to me. It has the "AK look" and character.

Good luck with your decision on the "tactical" choices.
Old June 29, 2020, 11:14 PM   #22
hank327

A Warsaw Pact length fixed stock either wood or polymer works best for me. I also like the triangle side folder found on an Arsenal SLR104-FR AK-74 or the solid polymer side folder that fits on the same rear trunnion.

Can’t stand AR stocks or Magpuls on a Kalashnikov.
Old July 2, 2020, 06:51 PM   #23
zoo

Magpul Zhukov and don't look back. They beat the heck out of most of the little shorty stocks that come standard with the average AK.
Old July 2, 2020, 07:14 PM   #24
TBM900

When people ask me personally I always tell them just to buy a standard configured model, a WASR being a good start
Learn the platform in its original configuration first before you start dinking around with things
Some folks quickly find they don't like the platform (usually they complain about too much recoil ) so why spend money
Others will squawk about it being "too short", I'm a 6'3 QB build and have no issues with the stock
Keep it simple, start with a standard wood stock and learn the platform first
Old July 6, 2020, 10:01 PM   #25
zoo

Quote:
I'm a 6'3 QB build and have no issues with the stock
Wow, I'm 5-10 and shrinking as I get older and I find (and I have always found) the standard AK stock to be ridiculously short. But then the M16A1 was fine for me in boot camp. Maybe you are really tall and have narrow shoulders? Ruger Mini-14 rifles are also short in pull. I've added an inch rubber extender to the stock to fix that problem on that rifle. But hey, shoot what works for you but sumtin tells me many have the same perspective on these platforms as I do.