The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2020, 09:29 PM   #1
C7AR15

Digital scales

My RCBS Range Master 750 has now become impossible to calibrate. The C button turns the scale off ! ?

So, I bought a digital scale on Amazon for $35 . It seems to be very accurate after I calibrated it with the provided 50g weight.
I checked other weighs and bullets, all good.
Also I got out the old balance beam and it was correct in comparison to the digital scale.
I guess that because it was such a low price, I am having trouble trusting it, Lol.
What's your experience with digital scales ?
JD
Old June 20, 2020, 07:17 AM   #2
hounddawg

I have a $20 Gem 20 that has consistently been within .01 grain of my A&D 120 for two years now
Old June 20, 2020, 07:24 AM   #3
Targa

I have a Franklin Arsenal DS-750 that has been outstanding.
Old June 20, 2020, 09:27 AM   #4
Bart B.

As precise charge weights are about tenth on the list of stuff needed for the best accuracy, a balance beam scale is good enough.

There's different opinions about what best accuacy is.
Old June 20, 2020, 09:34 AM   #5
pete2

Mine works when it does. Don't be without check weights and a balance beam scale to check the electronic scale. never trust the electronic by itself.
Old June 22, 2020, 12:01 AM   #6
joeanybody

I use a Frankfort arsenal 750 that works very well. I have a lyman d-7 balance scale that agrees with it every time as well. Two pieces of advice though. Clean it before every use. Just wipe it with a little alcohol pad before starting up. Build up can throw it off. Recalibrate at every reloading session. Use a high and low check weight. My Frankfort calibrates on a 50g weight. I then place a 10g weight on to make sure it reads both accurately.
Old June 22, 2020, 12:25 PM   #7
pwc

Pete2 - Then why use an e scale for powder? I know, I know, settle time is less than a balance, but if you doubt it, why use it? I use a balance with check weights for powder, and a $24 Lyman Pocket scale for bullets and cases. Just for grins and giggles, when I do check powder drop with the scale, it is right on. My 80 year old Ideal powder balance, with weights, is my gold standard, like yours is to you.

I found the settle time / + - swings for a balance can be reduced by placing a weak magnet, like what comes in a strip 1/2" wide from Home Depot, under the pan BEFORE setting cal with weights.

It is important for the scale to be allowed to "aclimatize" to the environment it is to be uses in. Don't bring it from the house to garage reloading room and use right away. I allow 2 hrs before use, and it isn't necessary to be turned on. Use fresh batteries, no fans, others say no flourescent lights, (I don't have), on a base isolated from bench vibration.

I did find, with the scale on, and with the hinged dust cover closed, it impenged on the scale causing a reading. So, when off and stored there was sideways pressure on the load cell. I shimmed the cover with masking tape until there was no reading with the cover closed.
Old June 29, 2020, 09:50 PM   #8
bummer7

Quote:
Originally Posted by C7AR15 View Post
My RCBS Range Master 750 has now become impossible to calibrate. The C button turns the scale off ! ?

So, I bought a digital scale on Amazon for $35 . It seems to be very accurate after I calibrated it with the provided 50g weight.
I checked other weighs and bullets, all good.
Also I got out the old balance beam and it was correct in comparison to the digital scale.
I guess that because it was such a low price, I am having trouble trusting it, Lol.
What's your experience with digital scales ?
JD
I have a PACT digital scale that is close to 20 years old now. I like the PACT so much I got the powder dispenser about 10 years later. Both work well together and while not fast as the newer powder dispensing units, it gets the job done and holds zero well.

I also have an Ohaus 10-10 balance beam scale I use too. Both the balance beam and digital scales seem to complement each other at times.
-s