The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 27, 2020, 07:08 PM   #1
Zzeke

Got My First N Frame S&W Today

So a couple of weeks after bringing home my new Ruger SRH in 454 Casull, I just acquired this S&W Model 629. It's my first N frame S&W. The trigger is smoother and lighter than My Ruger SRH trigger in both single and double action. It feels very well balanced and comfortable in the hand. I can't wait to shoot it. I know my wrist will appreciate it more than my 454 Casull.
IMG_4161.jpg
Old May 27, 2020, 07:28 PM   #2
GeauxTide

I regret getting rid of my 629 6". Smith SS revolvers have always been silk smooth. You'll love it.
Old May 28, 2020, 01:02 AM   #3
bamaranger

trades

I traded away a pinned and recessed M27, for a M29 that was not, and in the height of the Clinton years, traded the M29 away as well. I regret it on a regular basis.

I've since replaced them both, a M28 and a 629, but neither of the replacements are the equal of the two I traded.
Old May 28, 2020, 07:04 AM   #4
rodfac

I've had a number of N frames over the years and like them all. Currently, but for the past 4 years or so, I've enjoyed shooting a 5" bbl'd 629 with the full lug bbl. In .44 Magnum with current production, full house 240 gr loads, it's still a handful but I find the new grips from Smith tame a lot of the recoil. In years past, those full size target grips with the cheese grater checkering were downright painful.

These new ones, fugly for sure, soak up a lot of the heavy punch that comes with full house loads. Too, my example is superbly accurate with most any load I've tried, to include cast LSWC's at Keith level velocities.

Hope your's works out as well. Best regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old May 28, 2020, 07:29 AM   #5
jar

This thread needs some PRON!

Old May 29, 2020, 02:47 AM   #6
hemiram

Jar, I don't have a pic available, but I have a couple of very similar knives. I love the Damascus type stuff. One of my knives that came from Pakistan has a double edge, which makes pocket carrying impossible. I almost sent it back, but decided to keep it just to look at once in a while. I might take the outside edge off, too. was pretty cheap, so no fear about ruining it.
Old May 29, 2020, 08:19 PM   #7
KyJim

Congrats on the new N-frame. I don't have a 44 mag, but I do have three N-framed 357 mags. Built like tanks and all three are great shooters.
Old May 29, 2020, 10:59 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

While the N frame M29 is iconic (thank you Dirty Harry), for me the best N frame is the model 28.

All the good, needed things without the high luster blue of the 27 and without the 27's price.

I have a 29-2, inherited it from my Dad nearly 20 years ago. Great gun, though I would trade it in a heartbeat to have him back again....

Had my days of running full house .44 Mag in the S&W. Now I run a bit lighter load, and its still a great gun. I save the heavy .44 stuff for my Ruger Superblackhawk, or Desert Eagle.
Old May 30, 2020, 06:45 AM   #9
jetinteriorguy

I have had my two Model 57’s for 35 years, a 6” and a 4”. Both no dash. I don’t shoot them full house much any more, old worn out hands can’t take much recoil. But I do have a moderate load of 8-8.2 gr of Green Dot with 210-220gr bullets that I can handle from time to time. This load is more like a stout .357 recoil wise.
Old May 30, 2020, 07:33 AM   #10
Armorer 101

At times I regret selling my custom 25-2 double action only IPSC gun. But then I also recall why I sold it. I had my shoulder joint modified and rebuilt and never recovered the joint strength or speed of the draw in competition that I once had. So I went to the lighter K frame guns, 19 and 66 to reduce the stress on the joint.
Old May 30, 2020, 02:36 PM   #11
Zzeke

I was thinking about putting some fancy rosewood grips on it, or maybe some more traditional style wooden grips, such as some coke bottle design grips. Not sure though.
Old May 31, 2020, 01:41 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

If you want it to look pretty, put pretty grips on it. If you want to shoot it the best you can, I've found Pachmayr grips to be the best for me.
Old May 31, 2020, 03:28 PM   #13
ThomasT

I have a 4" model 28 that came to me when my dad passed away. So far it has never been fired. I'm saving that for when I can get one one of my sons out to shoot and will let them have the pleasure of firing the very first round from it.

Long ago I had a model 29 with 4" barrel. I didn't shoot a lot of full power loads but I shot a lot of 240gr Lee tumble lube bullets pushed by 5grs of Bullseye powder. I'm sure the speed was low but my goodness what fun that load was to shoot. And it was very accurate at 25 yards. I still can't figure out why I sold that gun. Stupid I guess.
Old June 1, 2020, 10:18 AM   #14
Drm50

I have a few dozen N frames, only one 4” 29-2 NIB. All the rest of them are 6”- 83/8” and blue steel. Most P&R era guns. I have no new generation S&Ws and don’t want any. If I get them on deals they go straight into trade pile, as all 4” and shorter guns go.
Old June 1, 2020, 04:21 PM   #15
aarondhgraham

I find it interesting that as the frame size goes up,,,
So does the smoothness of the trigger.

My Model 63 had an okay DA trigger,,,
The DA trigger in my model 67 is better,,,
The DA trigger in my model 686 is even better,,,
The DA trigger on my model 629 is the best of them all.

Is it simply the physics of slightly larger parts needing less spring tension?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 1, 2020, 06:01 PM   #16
black mamba

My 29-2 has an incredible trigger: 2½ pounds single action and 7¾ pounds double action. With the Mag-na-porting it is quick in double action with hardly any barrel rise with 1,000 fps loads. Revolver and both knives made in 1979.

Old June 3, 2020, 06:21 AM   #17
sparkyv

Nice acquisition, Zzeke. I'm a YUUUGE N-frame fan. Just fits my hands very well.
Old June 15, 2020, 06:36 PM   #18
oryx

I have two 629's - one in 4" and the other 8 3/8". Both have excellent triggers and are extremely accurate ... absolutely love them!
Old June 15, 2020, 09:21 PM   #19
jmr40

I bought a 629 with a 3" barrel and a little while later another with a 4" barrel. After using them for a while I sold both my 686 and Ruger GP-100 in 357 mag.

The shorter barreled N frames were actually lighter than the 357's with their full length lugs. And they were close enough to the same size to fit in many of the same holsters. At the time I could get 44 mag ammo for $1/box more than 357. The price difference is a bit more today, but still not a deal killer.

Mid level 44 mag loads, or hot 44 special loads were more pleasant to shoot than 357 loads and I didn't feel I was giving up anything for personal defense. And the option was always there for full power loads.

I was without a 357 for many years, but did find a 28 at a decent price. My only revolvers are Smith N frames. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

Winston Churchill
Old June 15, 2020, 10:04 PM   #20
Nick_C_S

Yep. That's a beauty.

I got my first 629 (a stainless "Dirty Harry" w/ 8-3/8" bbl - and yes, I was inspired by the movie franchise) in 1984. It was my second gun ever and I still enjoy shooting it from time to time. As you would expect expect from a Smith of that era (mfg. '83 - I purchased it new and received it 1/4/84), the trigger is nice, smooth, and predictable.

My second 629 is a 5" "Classic" with the full underlug. It's a new Smith (2015, I think) and for a new Smith, its trigger is surprisingly nice. I do find it a little tricky to shoot, however. I'm a revolver guy. I shoot revolvers weekly - all Smith & Wessons; and always - always - double-action. But this gun's trigger is a little unpredictable. It's hard to explain. It seems to kind of "reverse stack," is the best I can describe it. Hammer fall tends to catch me by surprise from time to time. It's nice n smooth. But it's a little unpredictable for me. I enjoy shooting it just the same.