The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 25, 2019, 02:24 PM   #1
Kenneth L. Walters

Why serious target pistols in 32 acp and 32 S&W (not S&W Long)?

These are being made for the life of my I can not figure out why?
Old November 25, 2019, 02:57 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I know of no target pistol in .32 S&W.
Catalog listings are deceptive.

Pardini HP, Cal. 32 S&W for Center Fire, NRA, CISM
Semiautomatic gun in Cal.32 S&W Long Wadcutter.

Walther GSP Expert .32
Quick caliber change .22 l.r. / .32 S&W "Two calibers, one gun“
Caliber .32 S&W long WC

Pardini is the only maker I know of with a .32 ACP target pistol, specifically listed for NRA Centerfire. I understand that is because a .32 ACP XTP holds accuracy better to 50 yards than a .32 S&W L wadcutter. ISSF matches in Europe are all shot at 25 meters and the wadcutter rules.
Old November 26, 2019, 02:33 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Serious target pistols are not chambered in .32 ACP either.
"...ISSF matches in..." Everywhere, not just Europe. ISSF used to be ISU when I shot league bullseye matches long ago in Toronto. All the high end guys used .32 S&W Long pistols. Walthers and such. Those ran $2500 plus Cdn.
Old November 26, 2019, 06:13 PM   #4
Ben Dover

I dunno, T. I always considered Pardini pretty serious! The price is sure serious.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old November 26, 2019, 08:34 PM   #5
stinkeypete

Because bullseye competition is in rimfire, small bore and large bore for each of slow fire, medium fire and rapid fire.

At the highest levels of competition, small bore one wants little recoil to help improve rapid fire scores.

At not the highest level, you can use your large bore pistol for both centerfire events.
Old November 28, 2019, 10:41 PM   #6
darkgael

That is not so. Many, many elite shooters...high masters....shoot the .45 (nearly always a 1911) for both the Centerfire stages and the .45 stages. It is far more common than the use of a .32.
These are shooters who are going to be shooting clean targets with the .45 regardless of recoil. They will do it in the .45 only stages....and just as well in CF.
Pete
PS: Note....Precision Pistol aka Conventional Pistol aka Bullseye Pistol stages are .22rf, Centerfire, .45.

Last edited by darkgael; December 1, 2019 at 03:01 AM.
Old November 29, 2019, 12:00 AM   #7
P Flados

I have a number of 30 and 32 cal handguns including a TC Contender with a home crafted 32 ACP stub barrel.

For target shooting, the length of the 32 ACP case is great. It is long enough to hold the required powder and a regular (non-wadcutter) bullet.

With too much space, a "nose down before shooting" round will be slower than a "nose up before shooting" round. It is real, I have measured it.

The 32 S&W Long was originally a black powder round. When loaded to the SAAMI pressure limit, modern powders only fill a fraction of the space inside the case unless you have a wadcutter with almost the entire bullet inside the case. This is the reason for wadcutter only target guns. Wadcutters are accurate at short range, but as previously noted not so good when distances get longer.

Last edited by P Flados; November 29, 2019 at 12:13 AM.
Old November 29, 2019, 01:36 PM   #8
Mike38

I have a couple Benelli target pistols. One in .22LR the other in .32. Yes, the company that makes those fine shotguns also makes target pistols. The .32 says on the side of the barrel shroud ".32 wadcutter". Which in reality is a .32 S&W Long loaded with a wadcutter bullet only. A regular .32 S&W Long with a round nose bullet will not fit in the magazine. Wadcutter only. Many people call it simply .32 S&W, which is incorrect, the .32 S&W and the .32 S&W Long are two different cartridges. The .32 Colt New Police is exactly the same as the .32 S&W Long. Confusing, isn't it?
Old December 1, 2019, 02:40 AM   #9
darkgael

To add more to the mix...both the .32 S&W and the .32 S&W Long can be fired from Guns chambered for the .32 Magnum.
Old December 1, 2019, 09:33 AM   #10
Jim Watson

Yes, but probably not very often at a NRA or ISSF target.