The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 22, 2017, 03:38 PM   #1
B-Deck

Help picking a carry gun

I just sent in my application for my LTC in Texas and now I need to get a gun to carry. I own different full size guns but nothing small. I definitely don't want anything bigger than a G19 but nothing too small. I would prefer a 9mm. Any suggestions on subcompact to compact 9mm is what I'm asking?
Old March 22, 2017, 03:54 PM   #2
Mr.Bro

I have the XDS in 9mm and really like it. I originally had the smaller 3 inch barrel but sold it to my brother to buy the 4 inch. At 10 yards or so, the longer sight radius didn't help much, so I prefer the lighter 3 inch more. You can get both for under $400 most times.

I have also looked at getting the LC9s. Great feeling slim gun, smooth lines, well reviewed. And make note that it is the "s" version, which has the improved trigger. It also has a safety, but you can get the Pro model without it. I think they run a littler cheaper at $360ish. The last option I would suggest is the S & W shield. I don't have one, but have shot it and liked it. Many fans of those as well.

Those are just a few popular ones for DAO. Harder to find as many compacts in the SA/DA, they are out there though if that's what you're looking for.
Old March 22, 2017, 03:56 PM   #3
MandolinMan

What models are your full size guns? What do you like/ dislike about them? That might help give us a starting point for recommendations.

Honestly, one of the best ways to start the selection process is to go to a range that rents and try as many different models as you can.
Old March 22, 2017, 05:03 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, B-Deck!

I'm going to ask a few questions. They'll help us help you:
  • Have you gone to a range and rented any guns? If so, please tell us about them. If not, you should.
  • How do you plan to carry? Belt? Shoulder holster?
  • What's your daily wardrobe like?
  • Do you know if you prefer hammer- or striker-fired? Do you care?
  • Do you care if the gun is steel or polymer?
  • Do you have a decent gun belt? If not, you should.

I carry a G19 on a daily basis, and it's definitely manageable. However, I also wear a suit or sportcoat 4-5 days per week. If I wore T-shirts and cargo shorts every day, I might opt for something smaller.
Old March 22, 2017, 05:20 PM   #5
rt11002003

I've tried at least five different guns for carry over the past four years. I felt the best all around was the HK p7. Some folks think they're too heavy, others complain about finding a good holster. I like the ability to cock and decock using the squeeze grip with all trigger action being single action. Hard to have a negligent discharge. I'd say impossible, but someone would figure out a way.

I liked the size and weight of the Kimber SOLO 9mm. Expensive to practice with. Accurate. Nice trigger.

My favorite used to be the SIG p232 .380. Accurate, small and light weight.

Tried the HK p30sk 9mm. Nice gun, a little large.

First tried a Kahr 9mm, forgot the model number. Too much recoil.

I now carry a M&P Shield .45ACP. Really nice size, good weight and nice trigger. Very accurate, surprisingly light recoil. It seems to have less recoil than my brand new STI Edge .45ACP. I'll have to shoot the Edge more before deciding which gun has less recoil. I've been shooting both 200 gr and 230 gr in both. The 200 gr seems best all around.
Old March 22, 2017, 05:59 PM   #6
jimbob86

What trigger system are you comfortable with?

Budget?

How large of a gun are willing to carry/How small of a gun are you willing to shoot on a regular basis?
Old March 22, 2017, 06:16 PM   #7
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Get yourself a Seekamp or any other Micro pistols in 32 acp or preferrable in 380 Auto.

For an tiny CCW the 9mm Luger just has to much recoil.

The Beretta Pico 380 acp may be a choice since it is modular or even the Beretta Nano or any other small 380 acp like the Taurus LCP 380.
Old March 22, 2017, 06:21 PM   #8
jimbob86

Tiny guns are hard to shoot well.

Oddball calibers are more expensive to shoot often.

I did the math some years ago on whether a .380 made sense to shoot instead of 9mm...... if you shot more than a couple boxes a month of practice ammo, the difference in price would buy another 9mm in a very few years......
Old March 22, 2017, 06:25 PM   #9
ShootistPRS

I am not going to recommend a gun for you. That choice needs to be made by you alone. For a carry gun you need to be able to access it easily and shoot it well. That means you need to be able to shoot a target the size of a softball twice and have it on a different target and fire twice more to the same size target. I practice with three targets at 10 yards spaced three to nine feet apart.
I am currently practicing head shots which require a hit in a 3" x 2.5" rectangle that is positioned from the eyes up. It is a surprisingly small target compared to the more common mid chest shot that I originally trained on.
Training at the range, at home, and in my mind is coming along but it is still not the natural shot for me yet.
Old March 22, 2017, 06:29 PM   #10
walks with gun

I'm a 1911 guy, but have been shooting a Taurus PT 111 G2 Millennium a lot lately and am very impressed with this gun, more so than many costing twice as much.
Old March 22, 2017, 07:51 PM   #11
scottycoyote

not sure how you are going to carry etc, but ill make some recommendations based on what i have shot and like and carry

if you want to go ultra small 9mm then keltec pf9 fits the bill.......i know some people hate them but ive owned 3 keltecs over the years and never an issue....the pf9 is no fun to shoot but you can get a drawclip so it can be carried iwb or in the pocket, i think it weighs around 14oz

next up in size is the only slightly larger sig p938, which i also own and carry.....great gun and shoots very well considering its only slightly larger than the pf9...although its a tad on the pricey side and for me is borderline pocket carry but usually iwb.

next step up from there would be glock 26...little thicker and a little heavy but a lot of firepower and easy to shoot.
Old March 22, 2017, 08:44 PM   #12
Targa

I am just going to list the ones I have experience with. Single stack subcompact; Kahr CM9, S&W Shield, Sig p938 all three are excellent. Double stack compact; Glock26, M&P9c....both are excellent.
As for 9mm having to much recoil in the subcompacts, I couldn't disagree more. The micro .380's that were suggested instead of 9mm are not only generally snappier but also considerably more expensive to shoot and also less powerful. IMO...The one and only thing that a .380 platform excels at is in pocket carry, that is absolutely it...again, just my opinion.

Last edited by Targa; March 22, 2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old March 22, 2017, 09:22 PM   #13
OhioGuy

I can only speak to my own experience. I can recommend the XD Mod.2 subcompact. It's very concealable and barely larger than single stack guns but with twice the capacity. Not a single malfunction in 2000+ rounds so far and quite accurate for a 3 inch barrel.

Could also recommend the Glock 26. Similar proportions. But I just liked the way the Springfield fit me better.
Old March 22, 2017, 09:32 PM   #14
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Just put 100 rounds through my new 9mm Shield---ran perfectly---accuracy was ok, could be better, but my old eyes are part of the problem
-------Metallica
Old March 22, 2017, 09:34 PM   #15
Ramey

S&W Shield, XD subcompact, FNS 9c and Beretta Px4 subcompact. The Shield and XD came in .40 cal. Great guns. The Beretta and FN were 9mm. I miss the Beretta but the FNS is making me forget about her. All would be great carry options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 22, 2017, 09:35 PM   #16
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

You get roughly same ballistics from an lesser than 3“ barrel in an pocket gun 9x19 and 380 acp.
With the difference with the 9x19 you are able to use hollow points and with the 380 auto not for same penetration.

Generally 9x19 pocket guns are considerably heavier (5 oz) than 380 acp, are longer and generally bigger.
For the same weigth an weak 9x19 generates roughly 33% more recoil when it has 300 ft/lbs than the 380 acp when it is full power with 200 ft-lbs.

So no the 380 acp is not snapier than the 9x19 when both use breech lock system and same weigth gun.
I wouldnot want to shoot an 9mm in an 12 oz gun. Would be like shooting an 500 S&W from an Glock pistol.
Old March 22, 2017, 10:14 PM   #17
jimbob86

Quote:
I would not want to shoot an 9mm in an 12 oz gun
I would not want a 12 oz. gun.
Old March 22, 2017, 10:22 PM   #18
john in jax

Are you sure you only need one?

For EDC I like a medium sized Glock 19 or 23 sized weapon. Think +/-4" bbl with double stack mag for decent capacity. S&W, Springfield Armory, Sig, etc... all make really great platforms that fit these criteria. Sometimes you have to be creative in dressing around a pistol this size but it can be done.

For those occasions when you just can't conceal the larger pistol, look at the small single stack "pocket nines". Sometimes you have to sacrifice bbl length and mag capacity to get that little gun that is just so much easier to conceal.

I like Glocks and went with the Glock 43. I started out very sceptical, but ended up liking everything about the 43. As mentioned above go rent and shoot all the options you can to see what platform works for you.

Unless you are going to be regularly shooting/training with both you might look into going with the same make/action for both. Having to learn just one trigger pull, trigger reset, etc... makes it easier to be more proficient.
Old March 22, 2017, 10:31 PM   #19
jimbob86

Quote:
Are you sure you only need one?
It's hard enough for a guy to get ammo and hours in the day to get sufficient practice with one gun ...... and you suggest dividing one's efforts?

Quote:
Having to learn just one trigger pull, trigger reset, etc... makes it easier to be more proficient.
Agreed. Muscle memory is hard to instill, and not easy to change: My thumb has a tendency to swipe down at the safety, even if I'm bringing up a revolver that does not have one........
Old March 22, 2017, 10:36 PM   #20
Onward Allusion

Glock 26. Softest recoil sub-compact I've ever shot. Liked it so much that I my EDC is a G27. Heck, it's on my hip now. Even for a 40, it's seriously light on recoil. . . . and reliable. Heck, it's a Glock.
Old March 23, 2017, 08:36 AM   #21
OhioGuy

A million different people will give you two million different recommendations. I guess I'd ask a few questions, or suggest you ask yourself if you haven't already.

Will this be your first handgun, or just your first one for concealment? If you're new to shooting, you'll want to shoot around with some rentals to see what seems to fit more naturally in your hand.

Unless you're already quite experienced at shooting, I'd echo the advice to not make your first carry gun a pocket-sized pistol. The little Bodyguards (which I have, and like), and LCPs and the like are NOT easy to shoot well, nor pleasant. I probably only shoot 10 rounds of .380 for every 100 of 9mm (and every 200 of .22). Saves money and lets me practice more rounds with guns that don't leave my hand sore.

If you are already experienced with a particular type of pistol, then a smaller version of that is probably your best bet. Keep it consistent and stay with what your muscles already remember. Used to shooting a 1911? Then a "mini-1911" sort of gun from Sig or Kimber might be your best (and most expensive?) bet--same feel, same proportions, same safety, etc. Or the Springfield XD line--grip safety and similar proportions to a 1911, and will feel pretty familiar.

Already shoot Glocks? Get a smaller Glock.

Used to a DA/SA gun like a Sig 226 or Beretta 92? Get a smaller version of the same, like a Beretta PX4 Subcompact.

If none of this applies and you're new to shooting, my advice would be to get more practice and more training before you carry a gun anyhow. A lot of ranges have classes that let you try multiple guns while also practicing some skills, so you get familiar with what fits. At least try the major striker-fired players, like Glock, S&W, Springfield and Ruger. These guns all have lots of aftermarket support and are easy to find parts for, and are not terribly expensive. Try out the larger sizes first to see what fits, and when you've found something that sings to you, then try the smaller variants and work from there.

In the end it really won't matter much whether you walk out with a Glock, Beretta, Springfield, Sig, Ruger, whatever. They're all well made and will last forever. They all shoot bullets and reliably go "bang" when you pull the trigger. So long as you've found something you'll enjoy training with, you'll be fine.

*** Last note ***

Don't automatically think that you MUST have a single-stack gun in order to conceal it. Most of the single-stack 9mm's are about 1" wide, and their double-stack brethren are barely 1/3" wider and not much heavier (unloaded), but have twice the capacity and usually are easier to shoot because they fit your hand better. My XD Mod.2 Subcompact is 0.3" wider than the comparable single-stack XDs and just as easy to conceal, so long as you get an unobtrusive holster that pulls the grip in close to your body.
Old March 23, 2017, 05:27 PM   #22
keithdog

There are things that make a difference and need to be taken into account. Such as your size. Are you short, medium or tall? Skinny, medium or huge? Younger or older with a bit of arthritis in your hands? These things can help you decide. Larger folks can conceal easier than smaller folks. Myself I am 5'6" tall, medium build with smaller hands. I am only going to tell you what works for me. My normal carry is the 9MM S&W Shield. Love the gun, but I have developed some arthritis in my hands and racking it is tougher than others. But it's a damn good gun. And for summer carry in shorts and tee shirts, I have a Ruger LCPII .380. Very nice little pocket gun that no one knows I am carrying despite what I wear.
Old March 23, 2017, 07:12 PM   #23
jr24

Depends entirely on you and what fits. My personal favorites/suggestion would be the Glock 19 or 26 if you like striker fired and the CZ P07 if you want hammer fired DA/SA.

Light, accurate, reliable, easy to carry.

Now, those fit me. Some need smaller carry guns, or single stacks. I can (and currently am) carry a Glock 21 with little issue, so I can basically carry anything. YMMV, naturally.
Old March 23, 2017, 07:52 PM   #24
bedbugbilly

If you are looking at 9mm then ask yourself some questions

How many rounds make you "comfortable" -

that will determine if you want a single stack or a double stack.

There are plenty of good single stacks and double stacks out there.

S & W Shield, M & P 9c, Springfield, Glock, etc.

How are you going to carry? That will determine what you need to be looking for. I carry OWB. Currently a 9mm Shield or a Smith Model 36. I am moving up to 45 ACP so will be going with a Glock 30 or similar. But, I'm retired and I "dress down" - usually jeans with either a jacket or a shirt tail out that makes it easy not to print. Your situation may be different.

Don't fall in to the trap that a handgun needs to be full sized to be accurate - accuracy comes with practice and practice on a regular basis. Go and look at different models/makes at a LGS and see what feels good and if it will fit your carry needs - i.e. the way you are going to carry. A single stack like a Shield is thinner, light weight but at SD distances, accurate and dependable. A double stack will be thicker - such as a G30 or a G19. Get what works for YOU and what you are comfortable carrying in regards to caliber, # or rounds and reliability.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 23, 2017, 08:20 PM   #25
PHARMACYJOE

urbancarry holsters READ

carry whatever you want with this holster no printing no shirt even needed.