The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 10, 2017, 05:49 PM   #1
rjinga

Mean Radius Measurements

I started looking for a target calculator program last night, and in the process I came across a term I hadn’t seen before, “mean radius measurement.” When I searched the term, I found this article that I thought was very informative and persuasive: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/512887_.html&page=1

During my search I also came across the following quote (in a sniper forum, I think): “Three shots test the ammunition; five shots test the weapon; ten shots test the shooter.” So, with that in mind, I went back to some targets that I shot over six months ago and ran them through a target program I’m trying out. After you set the scale and mark the shots, the program determines the center of the group and then draws the rectangle through the center-line of the two or three most outlying shots, and the circle from the center point using the mean radius.

I fired ten shots each at all four targets with a Century Arms C308 rifle. The ammunition was PPU, and I was shooting off of a table using only the iron sights. I know that the 50 yd target only shows nine shots (unless that double-shot hole is actually a triple-shot hole) and the 100 yd target only shows six shots. And, I realize that those missing shots would change the dimensions on the individual target, but I included them anyway.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm

Last edited by rjinga; March 10, 2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old March 10, 2017, 06:34 PM   #2
precision_shooter

Is the black square in the upper right corner 1"?
If not, how did you scale it?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 10, 2017, 07:27 PM   #3
rjinga

Yes, the black square is one inch.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm