The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 28, 2016, 05:10 PM   #1
chrisintexas

Glock 20 gen4 vs Glock 40

Which one do you prefer and why?
Which one is preferable as a woods gun?
Do you keep a glock in 10mm as a personal defense/home defense gun?
Thanks
Old November 28, 2016, 05:49 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

I had the Glock 20 Gen4 for a couple of years. Absolutely loved it.

If the Glock 40 would have followed the Glock 41's lead of using the thinner slide on it, I would probably say to go that way. Since it's the same wide slide, I would probably opt to stay with the G20. If course you will get SLIGHTLY higher velocity from the longer barrel in the G40 if you're really concerned about that in the woods.

Personally, I'd go with the G20. Both are probably good choices though.
Old November 29, 2016, 01:26 PM   #3
COSteve

Performance of the 10mm is greatly enhanced in the longer 6" barrel and that's why I developed the G20L back in 2004. I use mine as a woods gun for walkabouts in the Rockies where it's thinner, lighter, more durable and weather resistant, and carries more much ammo on board than a 6" S&W 686 357mag. With my 180grn HP or 200grn hardcast handloads, it's bullet is also bigger, heavier, and faster than the 180grn 357mag in the 686. G40 is a winner!

Quote:
If course you will get SLIGHTLY higher velocity from the longer barrel in the G40 if you're really concerned about that in the woods.
My hot 165grn and 180gr HP handloads shot from my 6" G20L show velocities well over 200fps faster than out of my neighbor's 4.6" stock G20 and my 200grn hardcast handloads produce just under 200fps faster in mine. Add to that the increased sight radius for better aiming and the 4oz heavier slide that dampens the recoil rise of the longer slide and gives me a better balanced platform. That's performance worth considering for a woods gun where a 4 legged issue is a possibility and why I recommend the G40.

Last edited by COSteve; November 29, 2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old November 29, 2016, 03:07 PM   #4
themalicious0ne

Should you buy an alternative barrel with a more supportive chamber to shoot hotter loads?

I know Glock has less chamber support to aid in reliability, but if I am shooting hotter, not max, 10mm loads, will the OEM chamber support that or will I be in dangerous Kaboom territory?

I am in the same boat. I would prefer the 40 but it is quite a bit more expensive and if I "should" buy an aftermarket barrel anyways for greater chamber support, it would be a 6" barrel in either platform.

So G40 stock, G40 aftermarket barrel or the G20 with a 6" aftermarket barrel. I have a hard time justifying a $1000+ 10mm Glock.
Old November 29, 2016, 08:45 PM   #5
Ocraknife

good question. I've had a lot of 10mms (it's my second favorite pistol chambering) Glocks included. If you didn't have to hide it, it'd be hard to justify a 20 over a 40 in my humble opinion. For a woods pistol I just can't see how you could do better than a G40. Again my 2 cents.

-Jimro
Old December 3, 2016, 09:23 PM   #6
Davelliott

chrisintexas

I have a Glock 20 and 29...in my opinion, the Glock 40 would suit only the largest of men for full time carry. It's a great pistol, and comes into it's own for hunting, but I carry the 29 in hot weather, and the 20 with a jacket or coat in cold...
I'm also converting these to 357 Ring Of Fire for magazine capacity increases over the 10mm...but to 10's will give you an advantage in power if needed. That's a personal choice.
I like the performance of the 357 Ring Of Fire cartridge a little better, and it doesn't kick as hard as the 10mm...but I'd not hesitate to carry the 10 with factory loads...great cartridge...you can't go wrong with it.
Old December 4, 2016, 09:59 AM   #7
agtman

Quote:
Glock 20 gen4 vs Glock 40
We've recently had a few of these comparative-question threads involving the Glock 40 MOS, but my short answers are:

Quote:
Which one do you prefer and why?
Apples and oranges. In my view, they are two different 10mm Glocks for two different uses.

Whereas my G20 always played a secondary EDC role to my G29 (EDC-ed during cold/winter weather months when concealing the G20 becomes a bit easier under a coat or sweater), it was primarily an outdoor/woods gun until the G40 MOS came along ...

Quote:
Which one is preferable as a woods gun?
No question, the G40. Same capacity as the G20, but you get the longer sighting radius for accuracy - and, as COSteve mentioned, the longer 6.02" barrel maximizes the ballistics of a "heavy & hot" boonies load, while dampening felt-recoil. It's a Win-Win.

Plus, the factory MOS platform gives you mini-RDS capability for hunting purposes - or in any situation where you'd want to maximize first-round hit probability.

My G40 still runs the factory irons, but only because I haven't decided which mini-RDS option suits me. OTOH, there've been several reviews posted on GT's 10Ring by G40 users running one or another of the MOS-compatible RDSs on the market, so you might check there too for those experiences.

Quote:
Do you keep a glock in 10mm as a personal defense/home defense gun?
Yes. The G20 (with Inforce APL attached) now pulls nightstand duty. The G29 could cross-over to that role too, if needed.

Last edited by agtman; December 4, 2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old December 4, 2016, 01:46 PM   #8
TruthTellers

The frames are the same, so you could buy the Model 40 with the nicer trigger and buy a complete upper that's G20 size and have both.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but the Glock 40 will dampen the recoil more over the 20.
Old December 16, 2016, 04:35 PM   #9
themalicious0ne

I would prefer the 40. I have monstrous hands and love the look of the 40. To be honest, If I got the 20, I would probably buy a 6" barrel to put on it.

There in lies my original question. Does the 40 come with good chamber support? I would reload the cases and probably load them stout. Not max pressure but stout, or else what is the point of having a 6" 10mm.

Should I get an aftermarket barrel? If I "should" get an aftermarket barrel, I dont think I want to spend $200 more on the 40 vs the 20 if I would be purchasing an aftermarket 6" barrel either way.

If the 10mm glocks, have plenty of chamber support and an aftermarket barrel is not recommended I would get the 40. If I bought an aftermarket barrel, it would be cheaper to purchase the 20 and add a 6" barrel. I would lose the sight radius and extra slide weight but at the same time a G40 with an aftermarket barrel will be pushing $1000. That is a lot to me for a working glock. I might as well pony up for the Sig.

The deciding factor is really if an aftermarket barrel is preferred and how much I want to spend.
Old December 17, 2016, 01:00 AM   #10
TruthTellers

^ In response to the aftermarket barrel comments, it would depend on whether or not a person is planning on shooting lead bullets. Stock Glock barrels are not meant to shoot lead bullets and practically necessitate buying an after market barrel.

If only jacketed bullets are going to be shot through the barrel, then it's fine to use the stock barrel, no need for an aftermarket barrel.
Old December 17, 2016, 09:51 AM   #11
agtman

Quote:
In response to the aftermarket barrel comments, it would depend on whether or not a person is planning on shooting lead bullets. Stock Glock barrels are not meant to shoot lead bullets and practically necessitate buying an after market barrel. * * *
This.

The real benefit of the aftermarket tube is not just to get better accuracy (some are billed as "Match grade" quality), but to be able to shoot lead/hardcast boolits without the issues associated with the polygonal rifling in Glock's factory barrel.

Whether it's the G20 or G40, I'd still buy something like LWD's stock-length drop-in barrel for hardcast loads, or even just for experimenting with super hot reloads.
Old December 19, 2016, 01:55 AM   #12
bamaranger

GP

Own & carry a G20, both as a woods gun, and when climate/attire allow as a SD pistol. When I do carry it as a hunting gun, Bambi never shows up. For those uses, and as an overall, GP pistol, I'd have to go with the G20 over its bigger brother. Note the mention of attire. The G20 is about as big a pistol as I can conceal, and it requires a cover garment to do so. The G40, longer and heavier, would be even more of the same.

The lure of the G40 is more velocity, and the fact the pistol is available as red dot ready. The red dot will allow better shooting for near all conditions, and especially for those with 50+ eyes. I'd love to have one, but then I'd have to get a quality red dot as well, and end up with a grand sunk in the pistol. The G20 is here, I can still manage the sights...barely, and overall is a more versatile rig for me.
Old December 19, 2016, 07:54 AM   #13
Nanuk

One of my shooting buddies is trying to talk me into a Glock 10mm. I do not really want another caliber. If I want 10mm like power in a Glock I can just run 45 Supers in a Glock 21. I am already invested with 45 ACP and 44 magnum.

The 10mm is attractive though, just not enough to justify the cost, for me.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 28, 2017, 12:11 PM   #14
BluRidgDav

What are the real world weights of the G20 and G40?

Some folks have mentioned the G40's extra slide weight, and others have claimed it is 4 ounces heavier. But, Glock's website shows the opposite:

G20 with empty magazine = 30.71 oz
G40 with empty magazine = 28.15 oz

In Glock's 2016 printed catalog the G40 is listed as only slightly more at 31.32 oz

This just doesn't seem realistic?

Does anyone have both pistols and an accurate scale . . . .

Thanx, Dave.
Old March 28, 2017, 12:19 PM   #15
Dufus

I bought a 40 Gen 4 mainly for the longer barrel.

Also, the gun is a little larger than a 1911, naturally, and it points very well.

A good shooter. I like it better than the G20.
Old March 28, 2017, 06:11 PM   #16
bamaranger

barrel

Acquiring a longer barrel, and using it in the G20 for hunting, and swapping back to conventional length for GP use and hunting, makes a good bit of sense, and has to be cheaper.

Glock should consider a "red dot ready" standard G20, and make the 6" barrel available as a user installed option.
Old March 29, 2017, 07:23 AM   #17
wild cat mccane

Moments from buying a G20 I changed my mind.

On ammo, even Buffalo Boar states on its website that a 9mm hard cast is fine for woods.

In commercial hollow point, only Underwood loads with Speer bullets but they are not the Gold Dots (Speer Bonded and Gold Dots are different).

For FMJ, most are only slightly or not at all faster than .40.

My argument is broken if you hand load, but only to a point. Gold Dots, HST,, Speer Bonded, Remington Golden Saber, even penetrating XTP--all the good HP bullets fragment when pushed to fast. I suspect that and market share is the reason they don't produce super rounds in 10mm?

I went with the 686 for fun. Avid hiker in the Rookies as well, I've never needed a gun nor have I felt under served by a single stack 9mm or even the LCP 380 with Lehi Xtreme Perpetrators in the pocket.
Old March 29, 2017, 09:32 AM   #18
BluRidgDav

Quote:
On ammo, even Buffalo Boar states on its website that a 9mm hard cast is fine for woods.
Maybe in your lower-48 woods, but, up here in Alaska, not so much!

I'm trying to find a "alders" gun for my wife, that provides the most power within her limits to manage the recoil. (I carry a Ruger Toklat in .454 Casull, but, that's too much for her.) I'm thinking that a G20 or G40 loaded with either Buffalo Bore 220 or Double Tap 230 hard cast loads might be something that she could shoot well and carry easily. Glock's polymer frame and auto-loading action may also help attenuate the recoil.

Otherwise, I'm gonna get her a S&W 69 in .44 Magnum and handload down, or the new Ruger GP100 in .44 Special and handload up, to strike the best balance of power and controllability.
Old March 29, 2017, 12:18 PM   #19
agtman

Quote:
I'm trying to find a "alders" gun for my wife, that provides the most power within her limits to manage the recoil. (I carry a Ruger Toklat in .454 Casull, but, that's too much for her.) I'm thinking that a G20 or G40 loaded with either Buffalo Bore 220 or Double Tap 230 hard cast loads might be something that she could shoot well and carry easily. Glock's polymer frame and auto-loading action may also help attenuate the recoil.

Otherwise, I'm gonna get her a S&W 69 in .44 Magnum and handload down, or the new Ruger GP100 in .44 Special and handload up, to strike the best balance of power and controllability.
Both the Smith and Ruger wheelguns will impart more felt-recoil into your wife's hands than a Gen4 G20 shooting BB or DT 10mm hardcast loads.

Besides being semi-autos, the Gen4 10mm Glocks have an improved recoil assembly that helps dampen felt-recoil. That dampening effect is most pronounced when shooting the Gen4 G40, aided also by the 6.2" barrel and slide mass, but you can feel it with the Gen4 G20 too if you shoot one side-by-side with an earlier G20 model. And I'm talking about shooting full-throttle 10mm ammo, not the watered-down, 40-level crapola.

In fact, you might consider getting the G40 for your wife rather than the G20.

There's the longer sight radius for accuracy, and the longer barrel yields higher velocities. Gen4 ergonomics are GTG, and to me, toting it around the woods is no worse than toting a G20 if you use a center-chest holster, like the Kenai or Galco's Great Alaskan. I bought the Great Alaskan for my G40. It's closely modeled after the Alaskan Guide Holster, which is another good choice too.
Old March 29, 2017, 09:27 PM   #20
disseminator

With either gun you will want an aftermarket barrel if you are going to shoot 200g bullets or if you will reload. The factory barrel in my G20G4 won't stabilize the 200 plated bullets and mangles the brass like all Glocks do.

It is also the same unsupported chamber that has made Glock famous for the Kaboom! in the 40 S&W. I use aftermarket barrels.

I have the 20, but if I was buying today I'd get the 40 and a Lone Wolf barrel. The red dot will be sweet in the woods.