The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 6, 2016, 06:02 AM   #1
preaged1311

Question about a rejection for 30 day firearm sale

Hello, I wonder if anyone has some info or ever had this experience. I purchased a Bersa firestorm .380 on 12/29/2015 here in Ca. But what I realized after I made the purchase that I bought a Kimber Custom II on 12/02/2015 and was less than 30 days prior to buying the firestorm. So my background check was rejected on the premise that it was too early to file a new background due to the 30 day waiting period of one gun per month.

Now to make things worse, the Bersa firestorm has been taken off the CA roster list. Am I screwed here? Can I re-apply for another background check after the 30 day waiting period? I paid cash for the gun and it's paid in full. I would be willing to pay for the fees for a new background check if that is what needs to be done. I don't feel real hopeful about this. Man, CA laws.:confused.
preaged1311
Old January 6, 2016, 11:24 AM   #2
kilimanjaro

Pretty wimpy law if you can schedule the checks around it, makes it just a waiting period.

Better talk to your vendor.
Old January 6, 2016, 12:26 PM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

It's been the law in California since 2000 that one may buy only one handgun n 30 days.

California firearms laws can be confusing, and they are very restrictive. Anyone in California owning firearms or interested in owning firearms needs to become familiar with those laws or he might well be in for some nasty surprises.

The Calguns Forum and the Calguns Wiki are good sources for California specific information.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old January 6, 2016, 06:15 PM   #4
preaged1311

Question about a rejection for 30 day firearm sale

Well, I guess I got lucky. It seems that the Bersa manufacture put it back up on the 2016 roster. All I have to do now is pay for another DROS and wait another 10 days. But I do agree with everyone that replied here that I need to get more informed about my rights as a gun owner.
martinbr
Old January 7, 2016, 02:08 AM   #5
tangolima

Private sales are exempt from the one-handgun-per-month restriction.

-TL
Old January 7, 2016, 05:50 AM   #6
Sharkbite

Quote:
Private sales are exempt from the one-handgun-per-month restriction.
How does that work? They still have to go thru a FFL and have a Background check and waiting period...dont they?
Old January 7, 2016, 01:30 PM   #7
Dreaming100Straight

A California Private Party Transfer is done face to face between two California residents through a FFL, who runs the DROS (Dealers Report of Sale) through the California Department of Justice. The 30 day per handgun limit does not apply and neither does the California Roster. The DROS requires you to wait a minimum of 10 days before you can pick your gun up; 30 if the DOJ screws up the background check and cannot determine if you are or are not a prohibited person. If your status is undetermined at the end of 30 days, your FFL may or may not decide to deliver. If it decides not to deliver, it may keep a restocking fee and what and how much it may keep is a matter of contract.

Like Ettin said, California firearms law can be confusing, are very restrictive, and may hold some nasty surprises.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; January 7, 2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old January 7, 2016, 03:38 PM   #8
tangolima

Yeah that's how it works. It could be confusing and even silly. Restrictive? It is, but not the worst. Try NY, NJ, or MA. CA is nothing compared to over there.

-TL
Old January 7, 2016, 03:40 PM   #9
Sharkbite

Thanks for the clarification. I would have assumed ANY sale that was DROS'd would be counted into the 30day wait
Old January 7, 2016, 04:41 PM   #10
2ndsojourn

"Try NY, NJ, or MA. CA is nothing compared to over there."

Whoa...hold the phone there tl.! NJ is bad, but trust me, but once you have your FOID card it's nowhere near as bad as CA. Yeah, we have a 30 day wait between handgun purchases, but there's no waiting period for pick-up or any retarded roster, or 10 round limit for magazines. (yet). And FTF between private parties is still OK without an FFL.
Old January 7, 2016, 11:02 PM   #11
tangolima

Don't they need to have some sort of permit before buying each handgun? OK, better or worse, it is subjective. Point is CA is certainly not the worst, I don't think.

-TL
Old January 8, 2016, 12:00 PM   #12
2ndsojourn

Yeah, we need a permit to purchase a handgun, and the process sucks because you have to spend a few bucks and they take their time issuing it. But there are other states too that require a permit to purchase a handgun. Some more onerous than here, some less.
Old January 10, 2016, 10:35 AM   #13
johnwilliamson062

My state is more free than your state!