The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 28, 2017, 12:00 PM   #1
SGW Gunsmith

The Ruger Mark IV

Well, the Ruger Mark IV was announced around 6 months ago, and it has captured much more interest than I expected. The first three versions out were the Mark IV Hunter version with 6 7/8 inch fluted barrel, the Mark IV Stainless in 5 ½ Bull Barrel Target, and then the Mark IV Blue with the aluminum grip frame 5 ½ Bull Barrel Target.

Then Davidson's in Prescott, AZ ordered 1,000 of the William B. Ruger 100th Anniversary version to be made by Ruger, which included a knife and sheath. This version has the Competition Target with the slab-side barrel. I really wanted one of those, but all 1,000 were allocated just a few days after they were announced.

Normally, when a distributor model run expires, Ruger will then produce that same version in the plain-jane production version, which they have recently done.

I was immediately on the phone and had one delivered the same week.

This is a very solid pistol and the method involved with removing the upper from the grip frame is so dang easy, even a "caveman" could do it.
I've had this pistol apart, I mean completely apart, and the internals are so clean, without burrs of any sort that it's refreshing to see that attention to detail once again from Ruger concerning these Ruger Mark pistols. I haven't shot it yet 'cause I'm still measuring and comparing some of the aftermarket parts from the Ruger Mark II & III to see if/how they might work with this version.

I do have an accuracy test in mind using my Ransom Rest just to see how this new pistol compares to the Ruger Mark II Competition Target, A Ruger Mark II Government version, and then just for giggles, a Browning Buckmark Contour with the 7 ¼ stainless steel upper. Just waiting for some warmer weather.
Old March 28, 2017, 12:18 PM   #2
JWT

After the Mark III anything would be easy to take apart and put back together....
Old March 28, 2017, 01:39 PM   #3
Fishbed77

Quote:
After the Mark III anything would be easy to take apart and put back together....
I've never had a problem.

But I do read instructions.
Old March 28, 2017, 03:55 PM   #4
JWT

Oh, I read the instructions...... many times. The turning, twisting, etc. we're just too onerous for my liking. One wrong move and start all over.... no thanks.
Old March 28, 2017, 04:04 PM   #5
DaleA

Ruger Mark whatevers. Probably my favorite .22LR semi-auto. Looking forward to you range report.
Old March 29, 2017, 10:56 AM   #6
Recoil spring

Mark 4 or 3, which to keep in production?

I have owned a Mk. 2 bull barrel in blue (sold it years ago), and now a Mk. 3 also same configuration. I have had the Mk. 3 apart 2 times, takes technique to reassemble. The Mk. 4 looks tempting though.

I generally have no need to take my Mk. 3 apart regularly with general oiling, but some people take their guns apart after every trip to the range.

I wonder if Ruger will discontinue the Mk. 3 over keeping the Mk. 4 in production instead?
Old March 29, 2017, 11:28 AM   #7
AzShooter

Ruger has discontinued the Mark III. I have no problem taking mine apart for cleaning after each range session, but now with the Mark IV it's just too easy not to clean it after every outing.
Old March 31, 2017, 07:39 AM   #8
stevelyn

The fact that it has an ambidextrous safety to accommodate us left-handers is it's biggest selling point.

I'm hoping they do a regular .22/45 version of the Mk IV.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old March 31, 2017, 04:20 PM   #9
DAKA

I am "assuming" that the M4 4 uses the same mags as the earlier MK's
Old March 31, 2017, 04:46 PM   #10
Minorcan

I have several Ruger Mark pistols and still have my Mark I from 1969 and it runs perfectly, very accurate. I've never had an issue with disassembly or reassembly but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express before I tried.
Old March 31, 2017, 04:51 PM   #11
OldMarksman
Staff

I am impressed.
Old April 2, 2017, 07:56 PM   #12
DaveShooter

Mk4 Hunter in lay-away

Like the title says I have a stainless mk 4 Hunter in lay-away to got along with my Gp100 10-shot 22- Looking forward to getting out the Mk4- Hunter to play with.....
Old April 4, 2017, 12:23 PM   #13
SGW Gunsmith

Concerning which magazines the new Ruger Mark IV will be using. Exact same as the Ruger Mark III, steel grip frame.

As was stated above, the Ruger Mark III is no longer in production. I think anybody can overcome the routine involved with the Ruger Mark III take-down and then reassembly, if they want to bad enough. The worst part involved with that rigmarole is the magazine in/magazine out part that's involved with the magazine disco. If one takes those parts out and replaces 'em with a GOOD, solid fitting, hammer bushing the magazines click into place much more positively and come flying out of the grip frame when the latch/release is pushed.
The Mark IV no longer has that cut-out in the left side of the receiver for the Loaded Chamber Indicator. I'm betting every single visitor here has been schooled to look in the chamber before anything else when you pick up ANY firearm to see if it's loaded. Really don't need some gimmick to foster laziness.