The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 29, 2017, 07:19 AM   #26
random guy

Apparently this (minus the bogus hand injury picture) is the result of lead bullets in a Glock barrel. I don't really understand this. I've shot hardcast bullets in a polygonal barrel and saw no problem. Perhaps it is still a small problem but enough to put a risky combination over the edge. "The last straw".

I don't really understand unsupported chambers either, in a cartridge which doesn't leave much margin for error. Even among factory new ammo, brass composition is such a variable that you shouldn't expect the case to contain 30,000+ psi while unsupported to any significant degree.

It would be wise to eliminate unsupported chambers in anything but the lowest pressure rounds.

Edit: Re-reading, apparently this was not a lead bullet problem but lack of case sizing which lead to firing slightly out of battery. Not entirely sure that I accept that explanation but it may be real.

Last edited by random guy; March 29, 2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old March 31, 2017, 06:24 PM   #27
dgludwig

Quote:
Edit: Re-reading, apparently this was not a lead bullet problem but lack of case sizing which lead to firing slightly out of battery. Not entirely sure that I accept that explanation but it may be real.
Reread it again. Apparently the whole thing is a hoax and involved a motorcycle accident, not a gun incident.
Old March 31, 2017, 07:15 PM   #28
random guy

Sure about that?

Quote:
jdmick posted: Well lookee here. Obviously the same gun.

http://www.adjunct.diodon349.com/Att...ot_blow_up.htm
The hand injury is a hoax. The Glock blowing up seems real enough. Unless a biker wrecked so badly that it broke his pistol into little pieces, blowing the bottom of its chamber out in the process.

Last edited by random guy; March 31, 2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old March 31, 2017, 08:05 PM   #29
Super Sneaky Steve

Even if the exploding Glock didn't blow off a finger the frame still failed and did injure the shooter.

It was the plastic that failed. In an all steel 1911 most of the blast may have exited the magwell without harming the shooter.
Old April 1, 2017, 12:00 AM   #30
HiBC

Interesting,the stories behind the photo.
I'm the OP,as I said,it just showed up on my facebook page and I don't know the details.

It might be fake.

Its still a worthwhile image to encourage careful handloading.

I do not recall which TFL member posted pictures of his own hand trauma from a loading incident,but it got my attention.

For some reason pics of blown up guns don't quite carry the message as well as a wrecked hand does.
If the hand and Glock were wrecked by different events, yeah,its just a bogus pic. Maybe he was noodling for sharks .
Old April 1, 2017, 04:14 AM   #31
AzShooter

As a Range Officer at a very large Public Range I have seen my share of blown up Glocks and Government Models plus the a few revolvers and rifles. They have all been associated with reloads. Either double charges or firing a round after a misfire. Fortunately I've never seen an injury like the one post.

Just because I haven't seen it yet I can't say an explosion like that can't happen. There are STRANGE people out there that like to push the envelope.
Old April 1, 2017, 09:28 AM   #32
kmw1954

HiBC I understand your thought on a visual picture. In 1972 I lost my eldest brother in a motorcycle vs. car accident. He was struck from behind while stopped at a stop sign. We had a closed casket service for him. I have never ridden a motorcycle on the hiway since and I still get nervous when one is in front of me.

I hand load and consider myself more than cautious at it. It also frightens me when I read posts of people hand loading and they state they've started at a max level or are thinking od shooting loads of unknown origin.

I have gone to the procedure that not only are my hand loads tagged with a label that describes the bullet, powder and primer but I also have each load boxed in color coded plastic boxes and each of those is also recorded in a log book.
Old April 1, 2017, 04:38 PM   #33
dgludwig

Quote:
Sure about that?
I don't pretend to be sure about anything in this thread. I only know what I've read and there doesn't seem to be any real evidence about anything; certainly not enough to support an analysis that subscribes using lead bullets, over-sized cases or unsupported chambers to explain why a Glock pistol detonated (if, in fact, it really did ).
Old April 1, 2017, 06:39 PM   #34
random guy

Quote:
I don't pretend to be sure about anything in this thread.
Yeah, that is a healthy attitude. I don't know how the blogger has such insight into the incident as he says it was not at his school. But if we take his word that the ammo was reloads, a whole world of possibilities opens up. And Glocks, including the .45s, have had varying degrees of chamber support. Bad combination when coupled with questionable ammo.

I was very relieved that the hand injury does not belong to the blow up. That is horrific. Still a lot more questions than answers though.
Old April 1, 2017, 07:41 PM   #35
745SW

The worse hand injury I've heard of related to a handgun blowup was decades ago. The person lost a finger. Two custom 1911's in a range case, one chambered in 45ACP and the other 10mm. It is believed a 10mm cartridge got stuck in the barrel of the 45ACP pistol and the 45ACP pistol was fired.
Old April 1, 2017, 08:26 PM   #36
Ramey

The internet has turned everyone into a skeptic and cynic. Not everything is photo shopped. Not everything is fake news. We need to get back to accepting things at face value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 1, 2017, 11:42 PM   #37
briandg

The damage to the hand does not match up to the damage on the gun. This cannot be matching photos, as others have already pointed out.
Old April 4, 2017, 07:46 PM   #38
Ozzieman

Someone found a way to hammer a 500 S&W in to a 9mm hole.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old April 6, 2017, 05:18 AM   #39
jolly roger

There is absolutely no way that is true. And I have been round whole lot of injuries and ERs...
Old April 6, 2017, 06:13 AM   #40
ritepath

Am I the only one that loads 9,38, &45 several grains under max? Sometimes even a grain or two under minimum?

Safety first, blowing up one of my pistols...never. Equally important is my hands and other body parts.

FWIW: I don't buy this set of pictures any more than the silly one where someone was supposed to shoot his steel toe boot to see if it's bullet proof.
Old April 6, 2017, 03:44 PM   #41
dgludwig

The more I think about it, given the extreme severity of the injury, the more I think the victim put his hand under a running lawnmower.
Old April 6, 2017, 05:49 PM   #42
blchandl2

@ritepath: You are not the only one. Since my range shooting is only at paper, I load at the minimum charge that will function reliably in my guns. For me, anything more is wasting powder.
Old April 6, 2017, 05:57 PM   #43
Mike38

Someone in the comments below the picture makes an interesting point. Trigger guard of the pistol is intact, but trigger finger is gone. Makes me wonder.
Old April 6, 2017, 06:21 PM   #44
Ozzieman

To all of you that doubt the photo and story,,,
It doesn't matter,,,,
Guns are BAD
Get rid of all GUNS
And no one will every get hurt again.
EVER

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.